Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European Roadster 0-60 in 2.1 secs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps 0-60 (mph) vs 0-100 (kph)? Folks have been using both metrics as if they are interchangeable, but there's a 2.something mph difference. Perhaps not 0.2 seconds worth, however. Just a guess.

Reactions: Gen3
Maybes it's just rounding error for the 0-60miles vs 0-100km difference of 3.44km/h.
If it's 0-60 miles in 1.94sec
and 0-100 ks in 2.05 (a difference of only 0.11seconds for the 3.4 ks)
then you end up with quoted numbers of 1.9 vs 2.1 and it looks a lot bigger than it is.

Isn't the new Roadster simply TOO fast? Why or when would it be used? Perhaps when the first person kills themselves because they have not been trained to drive such a fast car on public roads there will be a legal acceleration limit imposed?
My lowly P85 model S STILL amazes so called ICE speed freaks after 3 years - they simply cannot believe how fast it can accelerate!

Tesla make GREAT cars but should spend WAY more time getting build quality, satnav, auto wipers etc etc right before anything else.

Surely the s and x P100d LUDE have done that?
My opinion, and no disrespect to the Model S P100DL, but "have done" is correct in its tense. They did that for the prior generation of cars, just as the original Roadster did for the generation before that. But the S/X platform is now getting a little dated, and the other car makers are catching up. What the new Roadster does is to move the goal posts, to keep up the pressure on the other car makers to complete the transition to a battery-electric architecture, and to dump the use of gasoline altogether.

The new Roadster demolishes the "impossible to do that" lines that had been assumed before. No production car could ever do better than 2 seconds 0-60. No EV could ever go more than 1km on a charge. Etc. Well, the new Roadster does all that, and does it for 10% of the cost of today's "Super cars".

That's moving the goal posts.

But the S/X platform is now getting a little dated, and the other car makers are catching up.
Hmm...I haven’t noticed that. There is nothing like the S/X on the market now, nor is there likely to be a year from now, or even two years from now. And during that time Tesla will continue to improve, and continue to expand the Supercharger network.

“Catching up?” I don’t think so. More like “Falling farther behind.”

Hmm...I haven’t noticed that. There is nothing like the S/X on the market now, nor is there likely to be a year from now, or even two years from now. And during that time Tesla will continue to improve, and continue to expand the Supercharger network.

“Catching up?” I don’t think so. More like “Falling farther behind.”
Agreed that there's nothing else right now. But, 2-ish years, well, that's the active development horizon, and I'm reading enough noise to expect that the other car makers are tepidly aiming for some new cars in that sort of time frame. If the whole "BEV thing" starts appearing to stall, I doubt they will follow through on those plans with any sort of vigor. They have too much invested in the current product lineup, and are very risk-averse when it comes to upsetting that cash cow. I don't think that Tesla only selling the S/X/3 lineup will be sufficient to push them, even with incremental battery and feature improvements. That would be in that "appearing to stall" category, where they think they can still market their current stuff. At best there will be a raft of minimal-battery hybrids, just for show. There needs to be the appearance of a consumer demand avalanche for something different.

At last year's TMC I asked Chelsea Sexton what will be the BEV equivalent of the invention of the Kettering electric starter, the thing that gave the ICE the definitive edge over the other cars a century ago and led to their dominance. Her answer was "more cars". There's not yet enough variety, in enough price and performance points, to appeal to enough of the car buyers to turn the tide. We need the Roadster's 1.9 (or whatever) performance point to move the goal posts, along with all the rest to fill in the middle.

Oh, and one other factor that will be necessary (and, apologies to the Mods for the drift...): Tesla needs to have a profitable year. I think the bean-counters are running the show outside of Tesla, and they need to see somebody else starting to grow their own bean garden with BEV seeds.

Taking away the 1' rollout in the numbers is cheating to provide better numbers. People will try to get those times and usually end up short, after they will sue Tesla over the performance not meeting the numbers. Don't want to dis anyone, but that's just how today's world works. We've seen several cases where Tesla was sued for the claimed 700 HP of the P85D not being used, even though the 0-60 numbers were as stated.

I know for a fact that the new Roadster will be quicker than the 1.9s 0-60mph, making it also a sub 2 second car in the rest of the world.