Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European SuperCharger rollout updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're covered no matter what. On my trip back from Brussels to Norway, I used the following SuCs, avoiding completely the Hamburg SuC:
(START: Brussels) --> Urmond (NL) --> Kamen (D) --> Lauenau (D) --> Bad Fallingbostel (D) --> Busdorf (D) --> and then you enter DK...

Many stops, which allows you to drive pretty fast on the German autobahns.

No need for a stop around Hamburg. If they do open the SuC, even better. But if they don't, no worries for you, your trip is covered :)

Cheers @slcuervo - can your remember what %age charge you had to do at each?

I just checked out Klett (Near Trondheim) in Norway.

The guy from the gas station saw us pull up and told me it will go live next week.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422781550.327678.jpg

Cheers @slcuervo - can your remember what %age charge you had to do at each?

I had the charge displayed in km range at the time, and I remember I always charged up to 340km typical range (about 90% charge), starting from whatever was left.

And "whatever was left" depended on how fast I drove. In the unlimited speed parts I sometimes did 160-170 kph (never more because I was on winter tires), sometimes 130, depending on the traffic and the weather (it was often raining). In the limited parts I just followed the limit.

Meaning: I was driving pretty fast. I usually ended up with less than 50 km range by the time I reached the next supercharger. So, I was using about 300 km typical range to drive an actual distance of 200 km. Yep, driving fast does that to your range... :)

If you drive at "normal" speeds (max 130 kph on the unlimited speed parts) you will probably need to add 220-240 km charge to cover the distance between SuCs safely. Sometimes even less, since I seem to remember some SuCs in Germany were only 180-ish km apart. So that means 30 min stops, more or less

I had the charge displayed in km range at the time, and I remember I always charged up to 340km typical range (about 90% charge), starting from whatever was left.

And "whatever was left" depended on how fast I drove. In the unlimited speed parts I sometimes did 160-170 kph (never more because I was on winter tires), sometimes 130, depending on the traffic and the weather (it was often raining). In the limited parts I just followed the limit.

Meaning: I was driving pretty fast. I usually ended up with less than 50 km range by the time I reached the next supercharger. So, I was using about 300 km typical range to drive an actual distance of 200 km. Yep, driving fast does that to your range... :)

If you drive at "normal" speeds (max 130 kph on the unlimited speed parts) you will probably need to add 220-240 km charge to cover the distance between SuCs safely. Sometimes even less, since I seem to remember some SuCs in Germany were only 180-ish km apart. So that means 30 min stops, more or less

Can someone do the math here?

Driving at 160-170 kph and charging for longer time VS Driving at 110 kph and charging for a shorter time. Which speed would get you from A to B in the shortest time? Do you actually save any time at all? As opposed to the added risk to yourself and other cars on the road? Especially on winter tires and winter roads?

I suspect there's a sweet spot, because you need to keep into account the charging speed that is MUCH faster with an empty battery. I think that the math has to take into account too many factors.

Driving at 160-170 kph and charging for longer time VS Driving at 110 kph and charging for a shorter time. Which speed would get you from A to B in the shortest time? Do you actually save any time at all? As opposed to the added risk to yourself and other cars on the road? Especially on winter tires and winter roads?

- - - Updated - - -

Pleasent SWISS trip full of MS. I promise this was NOT a Tesla Meeting!
I wish every trip was like this! I have been testing the new prediction software, it's pretty decent and useful.
The BETA Preconditioning is to avoid for now, as it seems to drain the battery, but I guess that's why it's called BETA.

Beckenried:

Maienfield:

Sankt Moritz:

Last edited:

Oh, I can tell you I was not thinking about the most efficient way to get from A to B, I was just having fun :)

And believe me, there is more risk in driving 60 kph on the icy small countryside roads in Norway where I live, than 160 kph on the German motorways.

Well in a month or so we might be testing out the Tallinn - Stockholm - Tilburg and back route as we've contemplated taking two Model S's and eight people to go and pick up the first two brand new Estonian P85D's from the Tilburg facility so we'd be driving back with four cars and crowding all the superchargers on our way back ;) We'll see how it goes, probably will live blog the drive (~3500km round trip), but will also be interesting to see if there's any hassle driving four cars with the rest of Model S owners also using the chargers at random.

According to the Tesla "Find Us"-page there are 19 live Supercharger stations in the UK.

But according to these two articles there should already be 20 live Supercharger stations in the UK:

Those two articles were presumably prompted by the press release from Tesla which talked about "the UK's 20th Supercharger" but didn't actually say 20 live - probably they are counting the Portman Square site, where we don't actually know if the Supercharger itself is live or not, since you can't gain access through the explosion-damaged hotel.

Those two articles were presumably prompted by the press release from Tesla which talked about "the UK's 20th Supercharger" but didn't actually say 20 live - probably they are counting the Portman Square site, where we don't actually know if the Supercharger itself is live or not, since you can't gain access through the explosion-damaged hotel.

OK

One more thing.

According to the Tesla "Find Us"-page there are 19 live Supercharger stations in the UK.

And two of those 19 are:

-----------------------
London - Brent Cross
Store / Supercharger
Brent Cross
Prince Charles Drive
London
NW4 3FP

Our Tesla Popup store is located at the Brent Cross Shopping Centre.
2 Supercharger stalls, available 24/7
-----------------------

And

---------------------------------------
London - Brent Cross Supercharger
Supercharger Only
Brent Cross
Prince Charles Drive
London
NW4 3FP

2 Supercharger stalls, available 24/7
---------------------------------------

Are both of these Supercharger stations one and the same? Or are there actually two separate locations?

Are both of these Supercharger stations one and the same? Or are there actually two separate locations?

There's certainly only one at Brent Cross, but I count 20 total on the "Find us" map, including the greyed-out one for Portman Square.

We have:
London 8: Heathrow, Westfield, Brent Cross, Portman Square, The Tower, Canary Wharf, Royal Victoria Docks (The Crystal), Dartford (Bluewater)
Bristol 2: Cribs Causeway (John Lewis), Sainsbury's
Exteter 2: Dart's Farm, Sainsbury's
Winchester 2: Norton Park, Sainsbury's
Individual 6: Maidstone, Reading, Northampton, Birmingham, Warrington, Edinburgh
8+2+2+2+6 = 20

I know this is little to no chance but anyone have any news or updates regarding the Istanbul supercharger? The european map shows one in Istanbul in 2015 so it is 11 months left and counting :) (alongside Tesla's official launch in Turkey too of course)

Anyone has any news about date of opening SC Mogendorf? It's under construction since january 19th ad should be ready soon? We're going on a ski trip in 2,5 weeks and I would really be happy if we wouldn't have to make a detour via Wilnsdorf again....

There's certainly only one at Brent Cross, but I count 20 total on the "Find us" map, including the greyed-out one for Portman Square.

We have:
London 8: Heathrow, Westfield, Brent Cross, Portman Square, The Tower, Canary Wharf, Royal Victoria Docks (The Crystal), Dartford (Bluewater)
Bristol 2: Cribs Causeway (John Lewis), Sainsbury's
Exteter 2: Dart's Farm, Sainsbury's
Winchester 2: Norton Park, Sainsbury's
Individual 6: Maidstone, Reading, Northampton, Birmingham, Warrington, Edinburgh
8+2+2+2+6 = 20

Now there is one more: Leeds South.