Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European Tesla Power Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heading to Germany, Austria and Italy this fall and have rented a Tesla Model 3. I own a 2022 Model 3 LR so am familiar with the American version. The Hertz rental is (I assume) a RWD version and that’s certainly ok, but what type of connector is used for charging? Also, what’s a good app to find applicable charging spots? Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure on an app, however, the current 3's in Europe are using CCS ports on the cars as a standard, I believe. I would think your best bet would be to simply use the 3's navigation to a supercharger and let Hertz bill back through to you for the charging, assuming they were close enough to where you were going to be.

It looks like you will have plenty of availability:

Superchargers are all CCS (plus a Tesla DC over type 2 plug which won't work with the M3), most other chargers are Type 2 (cable should be in the car - check on pick up)
The vast majority of European cars now use type 2 so you're unlikely to find a charger that doesn't have that option.

Note that single phase AC charging maxes out at 7.4kW (230vx32A) but 3 phase maximum is only 11kw because there are only 3x16A charging circuits inside the car. Some type 2 charge stations will be labelled 22kW but you'll never get more than 11kW.

If you want to charge from a domestic wall socket you'll obviously want an adaptor for that country to whatever plug is on the granny charger supplied with the car. As someone from the UK all other country's wall sockets look down right dangerous to me so I I avoid them.

When driving in France along with superchargers I use ChargeMap app & card. You get a contactless card which works with a number European charge networks and bills you directly along with an app to help you find them.
PlugShare app also works well to find chargers across most of Europe.
Both apps let you filter by plug type.
Be careful - cost can by by time or by energy use or some combination of both - I've ended up paying over 50 Euros for a single charge when I wasn't paying attention.