Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European trip essentials

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a while since I took a car to Europe - and that wasn't an electric one. I am trying to put together an essentials list to cover the standard stuff and then EV specific. I'd welcome any thoughts on anything omitted.

1 Repair kit. I have 2 tyre plug kits and a compressor. Does the Tesla red box kit contain a warning triangle as I have never looked. Also is there a first aid kit in there? I think I need to get reflective jackets for each occupant. I want to get 1/4 jack pucks but am a bit puzzled on the type needed for the Model S. I have seen some that are rectangular with 3 studs but I also see this type - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08788V...olid=1N2RA1KL2FETO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it that claim compatibility with the MS. Can anyone confirm please?
2 We will be going to France although may stray elsewhere. Looks like we will have to avoid Paris and certain other cities as we have no time left to apply for one of these - "Order your CRIT'Air clean air sticker early if you expect to be driving in Paris" Certificats qualité de l’air : Crit’Air
3 Charging cards - have got a Maingau and plugsurfing card on order.
4 2 x breathalyser test sticks
5 Insurance certificate, driving licence and registration certificate
6 Headlamp adjusters? Are these needed or is there eg a software setting to use?
7 GB sticker - I assume a magnetic one won't work on the MS body panels? Can anyone recommend a stick on version that can ultimately be removed easily without leaving gunk all over the car?

thanks

do you need the breathalysers? last I heard the law was passed but the penalty for breaking it was not so effectively its a law without consequence and there for pointless but this may have changed since last year.

when I got my 2018 S I was told that the tesla light pattern was flat and no converters needed. However i have heard second hand rumours of GB cars being stopped by police and hassled. One suggestion was just to stick a small pice of black tape on them somewhere so it looks like converters.?? A couple of thin triangles should make it look OK..
You can search for links to DIY lift blocks...just a bit of wood with a couple of dowels. More importantly is finding a jack with access under them when a tyre is flat.

You'll also need high visibility vests for all passengers in France, and some other countries.
The high viz vest requirement in France is a real money spinner for the French cops. The vests have to be in the cabin of the car - not boot. I was given a top tip by a local to put them on the back of the seats so they are visible to the gendarmerie as they pass by. You are much less likely to get stopped as a result.

7 GB sticker - I assume a magnetic one won't work on the MS body panels? Can anyone recommend a stick on version that can ultimately be removed easily without leaving gunk all over the car?

thanks

If you have the blue Euro symbol with GB on your number plate you won't need to display a separate GB sticker (source). This might change after the Brexit transition period.

Last edited:
We go to France every year (except this year of course) in our motorhome so can’t help on the EV front but just to confirm a couple of things already stated. No requirement for breathalysers now and hi-vis jackets need to be accessible without getting out of the car (ie not in the boot or frunk). You are also meant to carry original vehicle documents such as insurance certificate and V5 but as I don’t like doing this I carry photocopies and hope for the best!

In France, you don't need a gilet jaune for all passengers, just the driver. You don't need to put it where the police can see it nor does it need to be 'in the car' - just have one. You don't need a breathalyser tester. You can put a GB sticker on if you like but neither the gendarmes or police really care. You can buy head light diverters if you wish but again, comme vous voulez. Most French car headlights shine everywhere from the road to proxima centauri.
You need insurance and driving license and a bulb or two.
If you drive sensibly - 80kph on normal roads, 90kph on dual cariageways, 110/120kph if signed and 130kph on autoroutes, no one will bother you.
The very, very best thing you can buy for France is an electronic toll pass. No faffing about at tolls - just drive straight through.
Support: frequently asked questions about the Liber-t toll tag| Sanef FAQ
Have a wonderful time and drop a line if you're taking the A10 because I'm five minutes away and I'm the only Tesla in the village....

Reactions: bitmanEV
I understand that you don't need an International Driving Permit (which I bought last year in preparation for No Deal but has no expired). However where would one get a Tesla LED Bulb Kit..?
Just carry a bulb kit for any car, as long as you're driving safely you won't be stopped, i've been driving around Europe for over 30 years and have yet to be stopped for anything. I'm (hopefully) going over again next month.

Reactions: AGNL and Cogarch
Just carry a bulb kit for any car, as long as you're driving safely you won't be stopped, i've been driving around Europe for over 30 years and have yet to be stopped for anything. I'm (hopefully) going over again next month.

Brilliant! It had never occurred to me to treat the possession of a bulb kit as a purely symbolic act - but that feels like it makes total sense in the French context..!

Reactions: AGNL and Mr H