Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European wall charger for Tesla and non-Tesla cars?

MarcFinns

Oct 5, 2019
Den Haag
Hi there, we have a non-Tesla hybrid vehicle and i am thinking of buying also a Model 3 for my wife. We would like to install a charger of some sort at home, to serve both.
If I understand correctly, European Model 3 can charge on a type2 charger. However, is the contrary also true? Can I charge my Type2 non-Tesla car with the Tesla wall charger?
Alternatively, what is the best home charging solution that serves both, taking into account that we have 3-phase at home?
Thanks!

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
The Tesla Wall Connector is capable of Tesla-only or industry standard operation. You will find Destination Chargers in Europe with white and red signs indicating which ones are Tesla-only and which will work with other vehicles. However, it's not documented. If you check the manual at the link below, you will find a DIP switch. The manual says DIP Position 2 should always be in the UP position. IIRC, the DOWN position sets it for standard operation.

Installation Manuals - Wall Connector

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
Alternatively, if I go for a generic type2 3-phase home charger, do I lose anything compared to the Tesla wall charger? Thanks again!
The main benefit to the Tesla Wall Connector is the button on the handle to open the charge port and release the port lock for unplugging. So, it's just convenience, not basic function.

MarcFinns

Oct 5, 2019
Den Haag
Ok. Last one: should I install two chargers at home for charging at the same time, is there any way to make them cooperate to avoid exceeding the overall available home power...? (I know, I have high expectations...)
thanks again

MarcFinns

Oct 5, 2019
Den Haag
Ok. Last one: should I install two chargers at home for charging at the same time, is there any way to make them cooperate to avoid exceeding the overall available home power...? (I know, I have high expectations...)
thanks again
Ok, stupid question. i see it now in the manual!

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
With the Tesla Wall Connector power sharing, you are only guaranteed not to exceed the rating of the circuit being used. There are other solutions in Europe that can be set up so that the car charging does not cause an overload of the main fuse or service rating. That kind of setup can allow you to have faster car charging on a relatively small utility service connection.

MarcFinns

Oct 5, 2019
Den Haag
With the Tesla Wall Connector power sharing, you are only guaranteed not to exceed the rating of the circuit being used. There are other solutions in Europe that can be set up so that the car charging does not cause an overload of the main fuse or service rating. That kind of setup can allow you to have faster car charging on a relatively small utility service connection.

such as..? (sorry, I am new to the game). thanks

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC