Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European wall charger for Tesla and non-Tesla cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, we have a non-Tesla hybrid vehicle and i am thinking of buying also a Model 3 for my wife. We would like to install a charger of some sort at home, to serve both.
If I understand correctly, European Model 3 can charge on a type2 charger. However, is the contrary also true? Can I charge my Type2 non-Tesla car with the Tesla wall charger?
Alternatively, what is the best home charging solution that serves both, taking into account that we have 3-phase at home?
Thanks!

The Tesla Wall Connector is capable of Tesla-only or industry standard operation. You will find Destination Chargers in Europe with white and red signs indicating which ones are Tesla-only and which will work with other vehicles. However, it's not documented. If you check the manual at the link below, you will find a DIP switch. The manual says DIP Position 2 should always be in the UP position. IIRC, the DOWN position sets it for standard operation.

Installation Manuals - Wall Connector

Ok. Last one: should I install two chargers at home for charging at the same time, is there any way to make them cooperate to avoid exceeding the overall available home power...? (I know, I have high expectations...)
thanks again

With the Tesla Wall Connector power sharing, you are only guaranteed not to exceed the rating of the circuit being used. There are other solutions in Europe that can be set up so that the car charging does not cause an overload of the main fuse or service rating. That kind of setup can allow you to have faster car charging on a relatively small utility service connection.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
With the Tesla Wall Connector power sharing, you are only guaranteed not to exceed the rating of the circuit being used. There are other solutions in Europe that can be set up so that the car charging does not cause an overload of the main fuse or service rating. That kind of setup can allow you to have faster car charging on a relatively small utility service connection.

such as..? (sorry, I am new to the game). thanks

Hi
i have wallbox gen 2 this.

I'm trying to switch DIP so I can offer another car than Tesla.
But it doesn't work. can you advise anyone?

I have 1 tesla and 1 skoda enyaq and on skoda not function.

Model:
WC,EU,3P,230-415V. 32A
HW,LNG,TESLA ONLY
P/N: 1050071-03-J
S/N: A18A0009298

THANKS YOU
PATRIK

Hi
i have wallbox gen 2 this.

I'm trying to switch DIP so I can offer another car than Tesla.
But it doesn't work. can you advise anyone?

I have 1 tesla and 1 skoda enyaq and on skoda not function.

Model:
WC,EU,3P,230-415V. 32A
HW,LNG,TESLA ONLY
P/N: 1050071-03-J
S/N: A18A0009298

THANKS YOU
PATRIK
Page 19 of the installation manual linked below shows the DIP switch. I believe that the Switch #2 that they say should always be in the UP position, can be set to the DOWN position for compatibility with other vehicles.

Did you try that? Did you change the setting with the power off? There may also be a timeout period. How long did you wait after connecting the charging cable before concluding that it did not work?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
From what I understand the 'legacy' mode only works on early Gen2 chargers.
Later ones (from 2019-2021 or thereabouts) had the functionality removed and Dip2 down doesn't appear to do anything.

Believe the two digit code in the PN before the final letter had to be 00, 01 or 02.

The new Gen3 models have a software controlled all cars mode.