TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Europeans want to rent a Model S for a coast to coast road trip

Discussion in 'North America -' started by geek, Dec 9, 2014.

1. geek

geek Member

Hello,

We'll be having our summer vacation in the US in 2015 and would really like to do a road trip from the west to the east coast with a Model S 85.

Is there a rental company that could help us out? I've been in contact with Hertz but that's a no go.

We're not complete newbies, having already rented one the past summer in Europe and loved every second with it.

Regards,
    Philippe.

2. RichardL

RichardL Member

A member here was able to rent an 85 at San Francisco earlier this summer (for the TMC Connect get together), so they are available - maybe its because you appear to be looking for a one way rental, instead of dropping off at the same location?

3. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

This will be quite the endeavor! 3500 miles one way without too many deviations and two weeks are almost necessary to enjoy stops along the way unless you are just going to charge through. To rent a private owner vehicle you'd have to find someone willing to have 7000 miles of round trip mileage and the ability to drive the car or have it shipped home. Given that Tesla knocks down their demo vehicles by $1/mile this might cost $7000 to $10,000 if the owner is trying to stay whole. I will love to hear how this turns out!

4. geek

geek Member

Of course we will not be trailblazing and will take two weeks. :)

I'm afraid it will turn out that we'll just rent from Hertz and do a round trip to San Francisco. :-/

5. BobbyKings

BobbyKings Silver

Would that be a good idea for my honeymoon? Route 66? Or 9?

6. TEUNTSLA

TEUNTSLA Member

7. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

It might be cheaper to buy a CPO and resell it at the end.

8. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

I'll be visiting the LA area in February and will be renting a Camry for about $320 for 7 days. The same agency (Midway Car Rental) will also rent a P85D for almost exactly 10X as much! Too rich for my blood. For one week I'll deal with an ICE.

• Like x 1
  9. Papafox

Papafox Active Member

I think that CmdrThor's idea of buying a used Tesla and then reselling it at the end of the trip may be the most reasonable solution. Touring America by Tesla can be a great experience, I did all 50 states this past summer with my dog.

Interestingly, I'm now considering touring Europe next summer in a Tesla Model S. For that trip I would buy a used Model S and then resell it at the trip's conclusion.

10. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Sadly, I also believe this is your best bet.

11. zag2me

zag2me Member

Yep renting Teslas is hugely expensive still.

I'm sure theres a business in there somewhere...

12. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

You can rent Tesla's on Turo.com. I've rented a S85, S60 and twice a P85+ on there. I will be listing my 90D on there once it arrives.
    Here is one in the Boston area:

Take a trip in Michael's Tesla P85+

Some can be had for long term (a month or more). In my experience, there are more Tesla's for rent in California than on the east coast.