Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eurotunnel - single deck or top deck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just been updating my reg details for an existing Eurotunnel booking in February. An error came up whilst confirming which led to a phone call.The chap on the phone says it policy is to place all Teslas on the single deck, he reckons the double deck would be too small (wheel scuffing) even for the model 3.
With my booking I'm having to go with the double deck as there is now no alternative single deck train with space at the time we need.

Has anyone been on the double decker in a model 3? I have the width of the 3 down as 1850mm and for comparison a BMW 3 series comes in at 1827mm, a difference of just over 2cm!

Could eurotunnel's info be more geared towards the s and x and less so with the more recent 3?
Any help much appreciated!

Ben

Thanks, just found that thread! Looks like it'll be fine.
We went through the Channel Tunnel in December in the Model 3.

I booked online, but as soon as I put the car registration in their site identified the Model 3, and advised that because of the car’s low ground clearance (not the width) I would travel in a single deck coach.

I suspect they’re worried about the car grounding at the top of the loading ramps.

We went through the Channel Tunnel in December in the Model 3.

I booked online, but as soon as I put the car registration in their site identified the Model 3, and advised that because of the car’s low ground clearance (not the width) I would travel in a single deck coach.

I suspect they’re worried about the car grounding at the top of the loading ramps.

We don’t have a choice but to use the double deck as half term in feb is probably their busiest weekends of the year so they can’t change it. Hopefully they will just direct us to the lower deck and the ground clearance won’t be a problem then.

Recently back. Select the high height vehicles when booking and go on single deck trains. If you forget to select that on booking they will still let you take the high vehicle lane (as we had to do).

Returning to the UK this Tues, I got myself into the main loading queue but just as I was about to drive onto the double-decker carriage, the loader redirected me to the front of the train and the single-deck carriage. The booking puts an indicator on the ticket I think which is what the loaders use. I suspect the Model 3 will be fine in the normal carriage since I took my slightly-lowered 335i onto it several times before without issue and it definitely has less ground clearance than the Tesla - but the system says otherwise!

Reactions: Roy W.
I spoke to an attendant, and he told me that a Model X owner has a claim in for damaged alloys and FWD from using the upper deck, and to save staff from having to identify different models, all Tesla go in with the vans or lower deck.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
I’m a frequent user of Eurotunnel and have used it twice since I got my Tesla in late October.
Without thinking about it I just booked normal tickets and the UK loaders directed me onto the double deck carriages but on both occasions on the French side they sent me to the single deck section.
On the latest crossing I was directed away from the waiting area by a 90degree turn across a pedestrian crossing and into the Flex+ priority boarding lane. I got on a train or two before the one I’d booked and saved about 40 mins of waiting .
From my POV, I’d choose that section every time because, unless you are in the middle and need the toilets, I think it’s a much better experience.
Without being able to prove it, I’m quite sure I’ve picked up cuts on the side walls of other cars from the badly maintained metal kerbing on the trains and the single deck has so much more width.
I’m going to embrace their current rule and will be disappointed when they realise it’s not necessary.

Reactions: xnetco
Any other recommendations for the tunnel?

taking my m3 through in April. Booked into single deck on recognising reg plate. First time through in any vehicle.

is there much opportunity to charge, or do you tend to get bumped onto an earlier train if you arrive earlier than booked?

Chargers normally full or available?

Tia

taking my m3 through in April. Booked into single deck on recognising reg plate. First time through in any vehicle.

is there much opportunity to charge, or do you tend to get bumped onto an earlier train if you arrive earlier than booked?

Tia

I’ve never seen chargers more than half full and there are often none being used on quiet Friday nights in Folkestone or Sunday afternoons in Calais. This is why I eventually decided to commit to a Tesla in October after taking back my deposit on a Tesla S in early 2016.

If it’s not busy you often get bumped onto earlier trains. From my experience they like to get people on their way if they have capacity on earlier trains.

I’ve never seen chargers more than half full and there are often none being used on quiet Friday nights in Folkestone or Sunday afternoons in Calais. This is why I eventually decided to commit to a Tesla in October after taking back my deposit on a Tesla S in early 2016.

If it’s not busy you often get bumped onto earlier trains. From my experience they like to get people on their way if they have capacity on earlier trains.
When we went in early December we used the chargers at both terminals - out on a Sunday, and back on a Saturday, and on both days ours was the only car at the Superchargers.

We arrived on time for our booked departure. That worked for the UK, but when we came back one of the single deck carriages was out of action on our booked train, and several of us got bumped to the next train, 20 minutes later.

Tia
I arrived late for my scheduled departure but got a later one without problem. I then deliberately missed that later one because I needed to charge and grab a bite to eat. No one seemed to care. It might be different at very busy times, but otherwise they are pretty flexible.