Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki EV Acronyms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been campaigning the following for some three years now; the revitalization of this thread makes this a prime site to continue my efforts....

please consider adding under the "SC" acronym: "SpC" and "SvC" are useful conventions to avoid confusion between Superchargers and Service Centers.

Reactions: ponzu
Tesla-related acronyms I learned in the last few days:

SCTY = SolarCity (stock, but used also for the company)
TSLA = Tesla (stock, but used also for the company)
MS = Model S
MX = Model X
M3 = Model 3
GF = Gigafactory
TA = Tesla Auto
TE = Tesla Energy
EM = Elon Musk
JB = JB Straubel
GM = General Motors
IP = intellectual property
SA = SeekingAlpha
BEV = Battery Electric Vehicle
BES = Battery Electric Storage
Q1, 2, 3, 4= First, Second, Third, Fourth Quarter

Still haven't figured out
SP = ?
VIN = ?
ER = ?

I added Model 3 as I was offended it wasn't there. Put in the alt reference to SC.

This is a good list, wish I had seen it when I first got here. Now I just want a REAL wiki for TMC. A place where all the collective learning we do in these threads can be turned into an easy to access hyperthreaded document.

-Randy

Acronyms Seriously Suck

I clipped this from here: Acronyms Seriously Suck - Elon Musk

From time to time, Musk will send out an e-mail to the entire company to enforce a new policy or let them know about something that's bothering him. One of the more famous e-mails arrived in May 2010 with the subject line: Acronyms Seriously Suck:​

There is a creeping tendency to use made up acronyms at SpaceX. Excessive use of made up acronyms is a significant impediment to communication and keeping communication good as we grow is incredibly important. Individually, a few acronyms here and there may not seem so bad, but if a thousand people are making these up, over time the result will be a huge glossary that we have to issue to new employees. No one can actually remember all these acronyms and people don't want to seem dumb in a meeting, so they just sit there in ignorance. This is particularly tough on new employees.

That needs to stop immediately or I will take drastic action - I have given enough warning over the years. Unless an acronym is approved by me, it should not enter the SpaceX glossary. If there is an existing acronym that cannot reasonably be justified, it should be eliminated, as I have requested in the past.

For example, there should be not "HTS" [horizontal test stand] or "VTS" [vertical test stand] designations for test stands. Those are particularly dumb, as they contain unnecessary words. A "stand" at our test site is obviously a teststand. VTS-3 is four syllables compared with "Tripod", which is two, so the bloody acronym version actually takes longer to say than the name!

The key test for an acronym is to ask whether it helps or hurts communication. An acronym that most engineers outside of SpaceX already know, such as GUI, is fine to use. It is also ok to make up a few acronyms/contractions every now and again, assuming I have approved them, e.g. MVac and M9 instead of Merlin 1C-Vacuum or Merlin 1C-Sea Level, but those need to be kept to a minimum.

I added Model 3 as I was offended it wasn't there. Put in the alt reference to SC.

This is a good list, wish I had seen it when I first got here. Now I just want a REAL wiki for TMC. A place where all the collective learning we do in these threads can be turned into an easy to access hyperthreaded document.

-Randy

Maybe a superset of the Tesla investors discussion* threads FAQ https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/faq-tsla-investor-discussions.188324/ ?

(*) https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/forums/tsla-investor-discussions.119/

Last edited:
Following that link I am disappointed that they don't differentiate the model abbreviations:
  • M3 - Model 3
  • MS - Model S
  • MX - Model X
  • MY - Model Y
I try to add a 'T' to the front of my abbreviations as except for the Model X it can be hard to tell you mean your Tesla, as there is a BMW M3 as well, MS can be Morgan Stanley, and "my MY" is just confusing to read.

So I use TM3, and TMY. Also trying to get cT for CyberTruck off the ground as I am trying to differentiate from CT the state, and it looks cool.