Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV advertising on TV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
I reckon there have been more ads on TV for pure EVs and plug-in hybrids in the past few months than there have been in total up to that point. Surely that’s a good barometer that we are moving beyond the niche of the “innovators” to the “early adopters”? It’s at least going to grab some wider public mindshare that didn’t previously exist and begin to normalise them.

A bloke came around to clean my pavers recently and was fascinated with my Tesla in the garage. I gave him a quick tour - he knew a bit about EVs but had never seen one up close. He was intrigued that everything is controlled via the touchscreen and that the car knows I’m there just from my phone. And he noticed all the cameras around the car and I explained the different things it uses them for.

And for those who missed it, the first segment of Gruen on ABC TV covered EV advertising (and the fact that Tesla does not do any paid advertising). Check it out on iView:

And for those who missed it, the first segment of Gruen on ABC TV covered EV advertising (and the fact that Tesla does not do any paid advertising). Check it out on iView:

I was a bit frustrated by the panellists lack of knowledge on EVs. For example, one believes that they are perfectly silent and you can't gauge speed based on the noise. That's not true at all for my 3 where the road noise can be very loud.

I was a bit frustrated by the panellists lack of knowledge on EVs. For example, one believes that they are perfectly silent and you can't gauge speed based on the noise. That's not true at all for my 3 where the road noise can be very loud.
Lack of EV knowledge is widespread - but with more ads on TV that will change 😄

Yes, road noise is more than enough in Model 3 to provide audible feedback on speed. In any event, experienced drivers should be able to estimate their speed fairly reliably without looking at the speedo.

I do agree with them that it is very easy to drive too fast in an EV, but that is due to lots of contributing factors 🤣

Well there is always this headline (yes #1 article) on news.com.au just now. I wonder if a petrol car running out of petrol would get the same status?

Just read that insane article, i have no idea why I was even on news.com.au. But seriously..... even the wording "... ran out of battery" I didn't know a battery could run out.

I do agree with them that it is very easy to drive too fast in an EV, but that is due to lots of contributing factors
Less likely than a noisy ICE sports car - it's just too relaxing. And I never speed 'cause I'm always on cruise control :) But if someone wants to drag at lights in his Mustang or whatever, they're all sorted. Maybe not for a Koenigsegg or McLaren, I'll need a Plaid then...