TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EV and ICE enthusiasts: Can't we all just get along??

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Zcd1, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Zcd1

Zcd1 Member

#1 Zcd1, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    One thing that has amazed me in the year I've owned my Model 3 is the amount of H8 and venom spewed at EVs in general and Teslas in particular. From ICE-ing Superchargers, to "rolling coal", to road-rage incidents to internet commentary, I just don't get from where all the ill-will stems...

This article posits that there's no reason for EV enthusiasm and ICE enthusiasm to be mutually exclusive, an idea I can get behind:
    TG Awards '19: GT500 and Tesla Model 3

What are everyone else's thoughts on this topic?

2. tvad

tvad Member

My thoughts are less politics in 2020. I am absolutely overloaded.

• Like x 3
  3. Mr. Burrito

Mr. Burrito Member

I don't know if its my imagination or not, but when driving the 3, I seem to get more mild road rage (for lack of a better term) directed at me than any other car I've owned. And its almost all trucks. Things like pulling out in front of me forcing me to slow down, passing them at a constant speed on the highway and then they speed up and pass me, etc. But it may just be me noticing these more and trying to attribute it to the new car.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I think it stems from all of the hate against “tree huggers” that the fossil fuel industry and some others have carefully built and nurtured over the years.

Folks see an electric car and assume you must be one of those people they’ve been taught to ridicule.

• Like x 4
  5. T3SLAROD

T3SLAROD Member

My thought are.... I’m not sure why anyone would be against an innovative American Product.... but then again, the owners might have something to do with it. Not to mention the perception from some ICE owners that we are all a bunch of rich yuppies

• Like x 3
  6. msm859

msm859 Member

Agreed. Even though the irony is you are driving an American car running on American energy as opposed to a foreign car running on oil bought from the Middle East to fund terrorists.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. toolman335

toolman335 Member

For the most part I agree with you guys, but we've all seen Tesla owners who preach at people worse than Jesus freaks and carry a self-righteous attitude. That doesn't help either.
    Doomsday logic never converts anyone. "Oh, now that you mention the world is ending, I'll come along to your way of living!"

• Like x 3
  8. Puddles

Puddles Member

Agree x 2.

1. Rage by pickups. It's a thing. (I do think it's *less* of a thing in California though). Do not get it.
    2. Coexistence is possible. We love our Tesla AND our garishly Grabber Blue Mustang GT equally, even though the GT barely gets double digit mileage.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. derekmw

derekmw Member

I'm curious to see the type of hate the Mustang EV drivers will get. lol

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  10. 640k

640k Member

you picked the wrong year to think that, considering it's an election year. time to move to Costa Rica or something.

• Funny x 1
  11. toolman335

toolman335 Member

I've read message boards about that. True Mustang fans are spitting mad about it. They feel betrayed. That's an entirely new level of EV hate that Tesla owners don't have to deal with.

12. 640k

640k Member

personally i hear less about it being "tree hugging" and more about "american jobs being lost" fodder that's pushed across news and social media sites. living where i do, there's an insufferable amount of biased "america is dying" bullcrap to the point that even high schoolers are setting up petitions and attending school board meetings to tell adults to butt-out and let them learn.

• Like x 2
  13. focher

focher Member

I will care what an ICE driver thinks about my car when they can catch me.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  14. tvad

tvad Member

The point is we don't need it infusing every aspect of our lives...like car forums, for example.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  15. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Active Member

As for truck owners being the pinnacle of Tesla hatred (certainly not all of them, of course), it'll be really interesting to see what the release of the Rivian and CyberTruck will do to that culture.

Side note on "coal rolling," someone mentioned above. I'd never even heard of it until this forum some months ago. Then I got coal rolled by a truck in Mount Shasta in October--my first and only. So what does the driver actually do to produce heavy smoke on demand? Until our Tesla, I've had ICE vehicles all my life (including a Ford truck), and I have no idea how one would do that.

Back to the main point, let's all resolve to spread the peace in 2020. Happy new year, y'all!

• Like x 2
  16. holmgang

holmgang Member

The US imports 10 barrels of crude from Canada for every 1 barrel it brings from Saudi and UAE combined.

And last I checked Canadians weren't terrorists

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. btownalset

btownalset Member

I've only really had 1 experience with someone in an ICE vehicle while driving my M3. Over the summer, an older gentleman in a mid 2010s mustang GT rolled up next to me at a light. I noticed him look over my car and then he rolled down his window to ask me how I liked my tesla and which one was it. I said Model 3 and I loved it. He said he's been in his buddy's model s and thought it was incredible. He also said, he was tempted to buy a Tesla but loves his Mustangs too much...he ordered the mustang bullitt edition and was waiting for it. Anyway, he said he was a car guy and just loves cars and thanked me for chatting.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  18. focher

focher Member

Ha! They've been killing people with their politeness for years!

Blame Canada!

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  19. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

I’m a recent convert and never had an issue with Tesla owners. Honestly never paid them any attention.

Only cars/drivers I STILL loathe are those slow left lane Prius drivers, lol.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 2
  20. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

This is what it should really be all about. Let people spend money on and enjoy whatever car is best FOR THEM.

• Like x 2