Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV and ICE enthusiasts: Can't we all just get along??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The US imports 10 barrels of crude from Canada for every 1 barrel it brings from Saudi and UAE combined.

And last I checked Canadians weren't terrorists
TSi
upload_2019-12-31_10-42-19.png

Source: Department of Energy

Looks Like about 45% from offshore countries? Unless i'm reading it wrong. So 10:1 doesn't sound right, but I didn't know so much was coming from Canada. Good to know.

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-31_10-42-1.png
    upload_2019-12-31_10-42-1.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 54
...Side note on "coal rolling," someone mentioned above. I'd never even heard of it until this forum some months ago. Then I got coal rolled by a truck in Mount Shasta in October--my first and only. So what does the driver actually do to produce heavy smoke on demand? Until our Tesla, I've had ICE vehicles all my life (including a Ford truck), and I have no idea how one would do that.

It's generally modified diesel vehicles that can do that. Either tuned, or emissions controls modified/removed...

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
TSi
View attachment 494867

Source: Department of Energy

Looks Like about 45% from offshore countries? Unless i'm reading it wrong. So 10:1 doesn't sound right, but I didn't know so much was coming from Canada. Good to know.
Crude import from Saudi has been trending down for over a decade. For the 2nd half of this 2018, it's been around 450k bbl/d from Saudi, against 4500k bbl/d or thereabouts

Agreed. Even though the irony is you are driving an American car running on American energy as opposed to a foreign car running on oil bought from the Middle East to fund terrorists.

I live in the heart of oil country, so ya'll need to know that this information that you are trying to propagate on the interwebs is over 10 years obsolete. We have more oil than we know what to do with right here in the US, and we haven't been funding terrorists with our fossil fuel powered F-350's or Suburbans for a long time.

Here in oil country, we're really more about energy, so it doesn't matter what energy you use, we're going to sell it to most of you and get our money one way or another.

The M3 is my second electric car, and there was a lot more hate for EV's in the 2011 timeframe when I got one of the first Volts off the assembly line. The hate was fueled back then by the war between the democrats and republicans, and it was unbelievable the misinformation that was used in their arguments against electric cars then.

I just got the M3, and it's a fun car. I am one of those that bought it because it's fun and good value for the money. I am not a greeny, and personally I believe the Earth does a lot of changing with or without human intervention, but the politicians aren't going to miss an opportunity to push their personal agendas.

My other cars include an Italian V12 with doors that go up and gets about 8mpg, and a 65 Jaguar E-Type that I bought from the ex-CEO of the company that invented the catalytic converter. The irony is that '65 has absolutely zero emission equipment. Absolutely zero. And it has less than zero safety equipment. So I am definitely not your typical image of a Tesla owner, but I have several other petrolhead friends that have Teslas too.

The US imports 10 barrels of crude from Canada for every 1 barrel it brings from Saudi and UAE combined.

And last I checked Canadians weren't terrorists

There's a legitimate displacement issue though.

For example, if we bought less oil from Canada and Mexico (our primary sources of foreign oil) then the European and Asian countries buying Russian and Middle Eastern oil would be able to buy Canadian and Mexican oil instead.

Reactions: msm859
ASo what does the driver actually do to produce heavy smoke on demand? Until our Tesla, I've had ICE vehicles all my life (including a Ford truck), and I have no idea how one would do that.

The heavy black smoke is unburned fuel. You get it by feeding a diesel far more fuel than the air in the cylinder can combust. All diesels from the past several years have particulate filters, so you have to commit a federal crime by removing that first, then use a chip to adjust the fueling pattern.

Folks spend several thousand dollars while breaking the law for the privilege of turning more of their money into clouds of smoke to show us that they're proudly not tree huggers. I don't get it...

In the old days, mechanically injected fuel charged cars did smaller amounts of smoke normally, while spooling up the turbocharger (most of them did have boost regulation, but it wasn't very good.)

• Informative
Reactions: UTMB and CharleyBC
The heavy black smoke is unburned fuel. You get it by feeding a diesel far more fuel than the air in the cylinder can combust. All diesels from the past several years have particulate filters, so you have to commit a federal crime by removing that first, then use a chip to adjust the fueling pattern.

Folks spend several thousand dollars while breaking the law for the privilege of turning more of their money into clouds of smoke to show us that they're proudly not tree huggers. I don't get it...

In the old days, mechanically injected fuel charged cars did smaller amounts of smoke normally, while spooling up the turbocharger (most of them did have boost regulation, but it wasn't very good.)
Yeah, I got the uncombusted fuel part. I just didn't know how to do that on demand. So thanks for the info. They spend money to modify the engine, and then have some switch or whatever to turn on the smoke when they want. Bizarre.

There's a legitimate displacement issue though.

For example, if we bought less oil from Canada and Mexico (our primary sources of foreign oil) then the European and Asian countries buying Russian and Middle Eastern oil would be able to buy Canadian and Mexican oil instead.
The crude itself is fungible and commoditized for a given grade, but the supply is logistics constrained. Hence why the keystone Pipeline was important. European countries buying from Russia do it because it's piped in, and aren't going to start bringing it in from Mexico instead, particularly the land locked ones

Yeah, I got the uncombusted fuel part. I just didn't know how to do that on demand. So thanks for the info. They spend money to modify the engine, and then have some switch or whatever to turn on the smoke when they want. Bizarre.
I think they just have to floor it. The only time I've seen it happen to me was when they would get next to me or in front of me and then floor the accelerator. We can report them in Colorado but I found out the notice to repair only has "voluntary" compliance. They do need a working emissions system when getting their emissions test every year so I guess they temporarily disable the modification to pass. :mad: Police can issue fines if they see it but usually I've been in the middle of nowhere when I've been coal-rolled in my Tesla.

I think they just have to floor it. The only time I've seen it happen to me was when they would get next to me or in front of me and then floor the accelerator. We can report them in Colorado but I found out the notice to repair only has "voluntary" compliance. They do need a working emissions system when getting their emissions test every year so I guess they temporarily disable the modification to pass. :mad: Police can issue fines if they see it but usually I've been in the middle of nowhere when I've been coal-rolled in my Tesla.

Or just drive a VW diesel. It's built in!

• Funny
Reactions: DrtyJrze
One thing that has amazed me in the year I've owned my Model 3 is the amount of H8 and venom spewed at EVs in general and Teslas in particular. From ICE-ing Superchargers, to "rolling coal", to road-rage incidents to internet commentary, I just don't get from where all the ill-will stems...

This article posits that there's no reason for EV enthusiasm and ICE enthusiasm to be mutually exclusive, an idea I can get behind:
TG Awards '19: GT500 and Tesla Model 3

What are everyone else's thoughts on this topic?
I have taken my Roadster and Model 3 to MANY car shows and the VAST majority, 98+% are fascinated by Tesla. Occasionally a bad comment but they are few and far between. And if you talk to people under 20 I think it is 99.5%.

I have taken my Roadster and Model 3 to MANY car shows and the VAST majority, 98+% are fascinated by Tesla. Occasionally a bad comment but they are few and far between. And if you talk to people under 20 I think it is 99.5%.

Agreed. What's more, it isn't all pickup drivers by any means. Last year I was charging in the middle of nowhere in Texas in the middle of the night (Nacogdoches, TX) and I saw a guy in a full size truck pull in, then circle around and park a couple spots over in the empty Supercharger.

I wasn't sure what was coming next, but I wasn't expecting it to be good. It actually was, though - he had heard about Tesla but never seen one, and wanted to know all the usual things about range and charging speed and costs.

I've read message boards about that. True Mustang fans are spitting mad about it. They feel betrayed. That's an entirely new level of EV hate that Tesla owners don't have to deal with.

Its historically ironic that the Mustang is named after a horse. There were plenty of articles 100+ years ago about how awful it was that "new fangled" automobiles were replacing the quiet, easy-to-care-for horse (really!). :)

Reactions: CharleyBC

I was big into the diesel truck world (Duramax specifically) several years ago. FWIW, nearly all of the guys on the forums I was on think rolling coal is stupid, and all were fearful that the attention it was getting would lead to even tighter restrictions on diesel modifications. So like most things, it was a small handful of crappy people who were giving the entire industry a bad name.

There are some people who get their trucks tuned and ask for heavy smoke. Those people were essentially ridiculed off the forums, and the reputable tuners would not work with them.

The more aggressive tunes did put out a bit of smoke initially as more fuel is required to spool up the turbos in those trucks, but once that happened the smoke would go away. The best tuners were known for their "smokeless" tunes.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker