Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV and Sustainability Event In Normal IL. OWNERS NEEDED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
I have had this idea for a while, but here is my background first: I am a high school student at University High School in Normal IL. I have followed Tesla for the past three years, and have always become more and more interested as the days go on.
The Idea:
Have an assembly at my school on EV's and Sustainability. I have spoken from store managers to George Blankenship, and Tesla is just to spread thin to attend the event. They will send keychains and pamphlets, and are offering all their video so that I can make a video on Tesla. I am personally flying out Jordan Bloch, a video creator, who created "Gallons of Light" and he will speak on the importance of storytelling on sustainability. Second guest is a representative of EVTown, as we are striving to become the premier place for EV's. Third is myself to tell the Tesla Story. I am also working on getting someone from Mitsubishi to talk about creating the cheapest EV.

So what do I need help with?
Well I don't own a Tesla. I am looking for someone or a group of people willing to take a day off to have their car on stage. Their is someone in town I know that owns one, I will talk to them this week, but just putting this out there. a
Looking at Late October to November
Also: Looking into having a Electric vehicle Test drive event that night, Is anyone interested in that? Maybe you could just tool them around in it, if you don't want them to drive it. Please contact me on here or my Email : [email protected]

You can ask questions on here too, or any suggestions.
ANY TYPE OF TEST DRIVE EVENT WOULD NOT INCLUDE STUDENTS, IT WOULD MERELY TAKE PLACE AT THE SCHOOL, Parents are welcome that night, but I am going to personally invite people I know that could afford the car, and other people that are car enthusiasts.

Thanks,
Christian Prenzler

Last edited:
You might send an email or make a call to Illuminati Motor Works in the Springfield IL area. They might be willing to bring their electric car Seven that was a Automotive X Prize competitor. I think they might have finished their reworking of the body by now.

Illuminati Motor Works display EVening of EVs event Normal IL

Seven Illuminati Motor Works

Unfortunately requires FLASH - those in the know support WebM video.

Footage of electric vehicle 1/8 mile drag races at EVCCON 2013 Illuminati Motor Works Seven

Hi Christian!

I met you at the Indiana owners meetup (I sat with you and Al S at lunch). I could make myself and my MS available for your event; also depending on the day of the event itself, I could bring my husband up so that you have another talking head available to answer questions. It sounds like a wonderful idea!

-Lydia

Hi Christian!

I met you at the Indiana owners meetup (I sat with you and Al S at lunch). I could make myself and my MS available for your event; also depending on the day of the event itself, I could bring my husband up so that you have another talking head available to answer questions. It sounds like a wonderful idea!

-Lydia

Hi Christian,

This is Liz the other St Louisan you met.
I may also be able to attend depending on the day.

Christian - Sounds like a good idea. The sooner that you can nail down a specific date the better. That way attendees can schedule a day off. For example - if I know well enough in advance I can block the time off even if a workday (I would use up a PTO day). I own a 85kWh ('PacBlue') and always like to participate in these events.

Please keep us in the loop - thanks!

Thanks guys!
I should have a date picked sometime this week! We have a very nice auditorium at my school, It should be able to hold a Model S, maybe two or three!!!
I'll update you guys as I figure out more. Looking at probably the week of October 21st or 28st at 9 or 10 am. Evening event is still in very early stages of planing(more of an idea). If you guys are also interested in National Plug-in day here in Normal is the 28th 11am-3pm right near the superchargers.
Thanks again for all the help!
Christian Prenzler

PS: Getting key chains, pamphlets and videos for the events from Tesla.

Hey All!
Just came in my mind but, I'm going to ask a lawyer friend if it would help to have a legal document signed by each test drive participate agreeing that they would pay for all damage, not that their would be. Again the Test drive portion is still very early in planing stages and NO ONE should feel obligated in any way to participate with their car in anyway. Just let me know if this is something you are comfortable with.
Thanks again,
Christian

Hey All!
Just came in my mind but, I'm going to ask a lawyer friend if it would help to have a legal document signed by each test drive participate agreeing that they would pay for all damage, not that their would be. Again the Test drive portion is still very early in planing stages and NO ONE should feel obligated in any way to participate with their car in anyway. Just let me know if this is something you are comfortable with.

Two things that are important:

1. First, since it involves high school students, that means minors... they cannot enter into liability waiver and indemnity contracts, only their parents can - this is something you'd have to do in advance.
2. Second, even if the parents were to sign liability waivers and indemnity contracts, you'd likely want them to supply you with proof of insurance, only because most of the car owners' insurance companies will not cover this situation and should something happen, you'd want to know that the drivers' policies could cover the damage. Some people only carry up to $100,000 of insurance, which would easily be consumed with the Model S alone, much less any other damaged vehicles or property.

We've heard stories of what happened at the initial test drives, even with Tesla people present - the drivers disobeyed the directions of the Tesla representatives and drove crazy, just to see what would happen. If it were me, I would forego "test drives" of $100,000 cars by high school students without a "valet" mode and instead opt for test rides, if anything, with the owners of the cars driving.

Two things that are important:... opt for test rides, if anything, with the owners of the cars driving.

Yes we in LA have done these at high schools for years. Many types of EVs from the local clubs and owners give drives from a signup sheet.
As you can imagine the Tesla's are the most popular. At the end of the Event sometimes some teachers or parents get to drive and occasionally buy!

These are powerful machines and it can actually be more fun to go real fast with an experienced owner at the wheel than to have a limitation of a valet mode or a passenger giving you an artificial speed limit.

Two things that are important:

1. First, since it involves high school students, that means minors... they cannot enter into liability waiver and indemnity contracts, only their parents can - this is something you'd have to do in advance.
2. Second, even if the parents were to sign liability waivers and indemnity contracts, you'd likely want them to supply you with proof of insurance, only because most of the car owners' insurance companies will not cover this situation and should something happen, you'd want to know that the drivers' policies could cover the damage. Some people only carry up to $100,000 of insurance, which would easily be consumed with the Model S alone, much less any other damaged vehicles or property.

We've heard stories of what happened at the initial test drives, even with Tesla people present - the drivers disobeyed the directions of the Tesla representatives and drove crazy, just to see what would happen. If it were me, I would forego "test drives" of $100,000 cars by high school students without a "valet" mode and instead opt for test rides, if anything, with the owners of the cars driving.

CLEARIFING NO MINORS WOULD TEST DRIVE. Only any sort of test drive event that night.

Looking at last week of October to first week of November. 1 pm would be event time. Seems like that would be a more even time, considering a possible night event. Updates: Stage can hold car! Maybe two, I will check out dimensions of getting on stage considering how wide the car is. Also I will have an ok or deny tomorrow hopefully on having a night event. Let me know if you guys have any questions or concerns. I have been meaning to contact Illuminati motors, maybe I will tomorrow. I will continue to update you guys, will have a official date ASAP

Unfortunately The University has some weird fear that the car could fly off the stage. NO STAGE CAR :(
I could have that night event somewhere else.

Last edited:
I think I'll move the event to the spring... Between school activities and the fact that we don't have a date yet, I don't think I can put together a quality event so soon. The Stage can't have a car on it, not now it least, so we will need decent weather to showcase the cars outside. Is this okay with everyone? Hopefully this will make the event better overall.