TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EV-Box Mennekes to CEE (60309) Group Buy

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by dpeilow, Mar 18, 2011.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Hi,

I thought I'd start a seperate thread for this.

Widodh has found that EV-Box make a Mennekes <-> CEE converter in 16A and 32A versions. I thought we could get a group buy together for possible discount.

Please indicate whether you would want one or both versions.

I'll start this off with 2x 32A.

2. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

mee too please 32A

3. baslemmens

baslemmens Member

yes please. Count me in for 1x16 and 1x 32

4. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Wow, ok :) Uhm, I'll show them this topic and see what they can do with the price.

The 32A will take about 2 weeks and the 16A is in stock.

5. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

Yes please, 32A

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Widodh, do they have a picture of it with the CEE socket on the end?

7. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

No, the cable comes with NO connector at the end, you have to attach your own CEE socket.

You can take a blue (1-phase) connector or a red (3-phase) connector.

I expect to have the 16A version next week, I can take a picture for those who want it. But connecting your own CEE connector won't be a issue I think?

8. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

yes i'm in as well for 1x16A and 1x32A cable!

felix b.

9. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

I'm lost! Can someone please clarify whether there is any way to use this cable to charge a Tesla via an MC240 or a UMC at 32A?

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Guys - this is the purchasing thread. It is for taking orders for this particular cable. I've moved the talk about technicalities of splicing the Tesla plug directly onto a Mennekes cable into the original thread.

Yes.

To answer the questions about whether this would work and is worth buying please see this diagram

attachment.php?attachmentid=1495&d=1300485991.png

J1772 and Mennekes (62196) are one and the same (even if the diagrams are mirrored).

If S2 is closed and the resistor values are correct, the EVSE will supply current to its maximum allowed level. The CP (control pilot) signal for the EVSE is the voltage level measured on the +ve line next to R1. If the voltage is 6V, the EVSE will supply power.

I don't know if EV-Box are putting D, R2 and R3 into their end or if we need to put it in the CEE socket end, but that is what is needed.

With this device, it's up to the user not to overload the charging post. However that is difficult if a female 32A CEE socket is on the other end.

You could also put the 'California Connector' on there to create a UMC pigtail, if we can source them. It seems a bit strange to fake the signal and then have the UMC regenerate it, but it would work

It's basically the European equivalent of that new J1772 or Avcon to NEMA 14-50 boxes that we've seen used on the other side of the Pond. Except that the Mennekes design allows the simple electronics to go in the plug.

EVSE-CP.PNG

11. Banzai

Banzai Model S sig #429 EU

To all Tesla drivers that want to have Mennekes to Tesla cable.

As Widoh pointed out the Mennekes cables with 1 phase 32 A are available. The concept that it works has been tested by converting a spare connector to a Mennekes to Tesla cable (in this case a 1 phase 16 A). But the communication between the charging station and the Tesla works fine. As more and more charging stations have the Mennekes EV Plug within Europe, as Tesla owners we would love to have such charging cables. We talked to Tesla and they are aware of the need of such a cable but they couldn't tell when a solution would be offered. I would like to make a list of all Tesla owners that want such a cable. Please could you send your name and contact details so we can create the list.
    For pictures to see the Tesla charging with the Mennekes plug, click on the link
    https://picasaweb.google.com/114173472077062570892

http://www.ev-box.com

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

So you used a basic Tesla 16A cable to get a plug but the new one is running at 32A?

Be sure to tell Tesla you want a direct EVSE to Car cable and not a pigtail for the UMC.

IMG_5856.JPG

13. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

I am interested. i will send you a PM

14. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

Note: if you would prefer a cable at higher power eg up to 63A or 70A please say that

15. nikwest

nikwest Member

Are there any news on this topic?

16. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

EV-Box started supplying Mennekes -> Tesla charging cables up to 32A. For EUR 1100,00 they'll make you such a cable. They can't get the Tesla connectors, so they buy spare mobile connectors and take the connector of that charger and solder it to the Mennekes cable.

I'd recommend that option.

17. nikwest

nikwest Member

Ok, thanks. So there is no option beyond 32A for now. And no group buy.

18. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

No, 32A is the max for now. Although I'm not aware of any +32A capable IEC62192-2 station, the most powerfull ones are from RWE in Germany, they provide 3x32A (22kW).

19. nikwest

nikwest Member

yeah, that was just to be more future proof. I am hoping that there might be charging stations > 32A in the future. And yes RWE seems to have some good quality charging stations, but their pricing model is IMHO simply ridiculous. You can't use any of their stations without paying at least 19EUR per month base fee.
    I am just thinking if one of the petrol companies would ask for such a base fee ... sometimes I simply don't understand companies ...

20. nikwest

nikwest Member

Seems like prices go up for the cable. I just received an offer from EV-Box for the 32A version 1330 EUR excl. tax and shipping. Pretty pricy, if you consider that the you get something similar to the J1772 cable offered by Tesla in the US (actually not even that, because that cable can handle 70A).
    Tesla needs to get their act together and offer a cable themselves.