Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-Box Mennekes to CEE (60309) Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a call of my Tesla rep. The mennekes-cables are available and they've put one aside for me. Will come in with the mail within a few days!
I'm really glad. Finally I'll be able to charge all over the place and not only at home or my office :)
What is the Amperage for the cable? 16A? 32A?

We found our first 32A charging station in Amsterdam (Nuon/Heijmans) yesterday, charging the Roadster with 32A on a public charging station, yay!

Is it possible to buy a 32A box still? And the Mennekes to Roadster plug too?.
Many companies are now selling Type 2 Charging Stations.... Rolec are some of the most aggressively priced.

I would recommend purchasing a 32A Type 2 to Type 1 cable and one of hsharp's Roadster "cans". This has the advantage that you then have the capability to charge your Roadster on any Type 1 or Type 2 Charging Station that you find. Look for a cable with ITT connectors similar to the one we sell in our UK shop.

You could also consider Tesla's 32A cable or hsharp's 70A cable.

Many companies are now selling Type 2 Charging Stations.... Rolec are some of the most aggressively priced.

I would recommend purchasing a 32A Type 2 to Type 1 cable and one of hsharp's Roadster "cans". This has the advantage that you then have the capability to charge your Roadster on any Type 1 or Type 2 Charging Station that you find. Look for a cable with ITT connectors similar to the one we sell in our UK shop.

Fantastic advice Kevin. Many thanks.

Is it possible to buy a 32A box still? And the Mennekes to Roadster plug too?

Thanks folks.

You may consider a Mennekes to CEE 32 A red adapter, if interested send me a PM, I'll provide you with the source. Many Roadster drivers in DACH find it more convenient and reliable than the Original TM cabel.
Main advantages : you can charge up to 3 Roadsters at one Mennekes socket or use it for an electric barbecue or a chip shop. You see, it's more flexible :biggrin:

One thing I am not clear on after looking around the sites is how can I get a device that converts 32A commando to Mennekes? Down here I am not finding any Mennekes but plenty commandos. I saw in your post that you have a box that seems to do this job... any idea where that can be found?

Many thanks.

One thing I am not clear on after looking around the sites is how can I get a device that converts 32A commando to Mennekes?
You will need a portable Charging Station to 'convert' from "commando" to "mennekes". Today these are difficult to buy and most of us have resorted to building our own. If you have access to an electrical engineer then take a look at the OpenEVSE project which would give you a starting point.

You will need a portable Charging Station to 'convert' from "commando" to "mennekes". Today these are difficult to buy and most of us have resorted to building our own. If you have access to an electrical engineer then take a look at the OpenEVSE project which would give you a starting point.

More good advice Kevin, thanks. I have a reasonable amount of knowledge so I will give this a try.

Is there no one out there offering such a device ready to use? I see in rolec some wall-mounted devices that offer Mennekes sockets but a portable device would be nicer :)

I'd like to get the same thing you posted here (63A Type 2 EVSE (off the shelf parts and ZCW PWM module)). What is the PWM Module?

Last edited:
here are some more detailed information how these things work :

General (in theory, practice is often a little bit different :wink:) :

I assume that every thing on the car side is done, car is ready to charge

a) Now you plug in the Mennekes connector on the charging station (EVSE). In the Mennekes connector is a built in resistor between the pins PP ( plug present) and PE (ground). This tells the charging station that a plug is present and how much current the cable is able to draw.(100 Ohm = 63 A, 220 Ohm = 32 A, 680 Ohm = 16 A)

b) (see diagram on the first page of this thread) As soon as the EVSE sees the diode and resistor 2700 Ohm the EVSE starts talking to the car (PWM protocol) and tells the car how much current the EVSE can provide ( taking max current of the cable into account, see a) )

c) now the car programs its charger for the max current it can or likes to draw or the EVSE is able to provide and switches S2 to on.

d) When S2 is switched to on the EVSE locks the Mennekes connector

optional e) : you may have to activate the EVSE via operator, App, RFID or what ever

f) charging starts ( hopefully)

g) while charging the EVSE might tell the car, to set the current to a lower value e.g. because of a weak grid, don't know what in theory would happen, if the car doesn't respond

h) if S2 is switched to off or the pilot signal is interrupted, charging stops immediately, the Menneckes connector is released

TM cable vs Mennekes Adapter : (theory)

The TM cable :

the TM cable should do every step without the need of an user input
the TM cable is a direct connection between EVSE and car
you can charge only one car at one socket
you can only supply a Tesla with power
the TM Menneckes connector is only equipped with the pins L1, N and PE, L2 and L3 are missing

The Adapter to CEE red :

the adapter isn't listening to the EVSE, so you have to know the max. current of the EVSE, some times you have to guess :eek:
you have to dial down in the Tesla to the max current available
you push S2 via a button manually
4 times cheaper then the Tesla solution
its a dump solution, Kevin would like it :biggrin:
with a power distributor with switched phases you can charge up to 6 Roadsters at one EVSE ( they have usually 2 sockets)
with this power distributor other cars can charge with the Roadster on the same socket, e.g a Leaf with an "in Cable Box"
usually the EVSE has a single fuse for every single phase, if you have to guess the max current you have 6 tries with the power distributor:biggrin:
if one phase fails you can switch to the next phase with the power distributor
you can start a small folk festival at every EVSE, 44 kW are available for merry-go-rounds beer cooler or what ever you need:biggrin::biggrin:
(not done yet in practice, but we'll see about that :wink:)

My personal experience :

If you start charging at Mennekes EVSE you should be prepared for adventures :

some charging station doesn't exist, some are not connected to the grid, some doesn't work at all, some have horrible software bugs, some like your cable so much, that they don't want to give it back ...:crying::scared:

In my experience I found the adapter more reliable, the TM cable often gives you only 16 A when 32 A are available or refuses to work at all, you can't dial down or up after charging has started
and the best of it all is that you can charge up to 6 Roadsters. with the adapter :biggrin:

some pictures from the German Tesla forum, text in German but the pictures tell the story :

Adapter, EVSE at the Großglockner was out of order due to an impact by a snow plow but was repaired 4 weeks later, Kelag a power supplier in Autria is very quick about that

Tesla-Fahrer und -Freunde Forum Thema anzeigen - Fotos 7. Alternativenergiesternfahrt 2012

5 Tesla charging at Kelag EVSE near Großglockner in Heiligenblut and Ossiach:

Tesla-Fahrer und -Freunde Forum Thema anzeigen - Fotos 7. Alternativenergiesternfahrt 2012

In Ossiach we draw 500 kWh in 2 days, try this with the TM solution:biggrin::biggrin:

a) Now you plug in the Mennekes connector on the charging station (EVSE). In the Mennekes connector is a built in resistor between the pins PP ( plug present) and PE (ground). This tells the charging station that a plug is present and how much current the cable is able to draw.(100 Ohm = 63 A, 220 Ohm = 32 A, 680 Ohm = 16 A)

b) (see diagram on the first page of this thread) As soon as the EVSE sees the diode and resistor 2700 Ohm the EVSE starts talking to the car (PWM protocol) and tells the car how much current the EVSE can provide ( taking max current of the cable into account, see a) )
Does it exist a full diagram showing wirings and resistors for both CP and PP?
Or a link to official standard?