Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Camping in SoCal Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery of my new Model Y soon. I know once I get it I'll be looking to go on a road trip and was thinking a car camping trip would be a good way to get familiar with the car.

I know camp mode doesn't use up THAT much energy but ideally I was thinking of finding somewhere that is a tent site with electrical outlet so I can at least be plugged in overnight and not lose any battery while playing around with features. I'm guessing RV sites would work but don't need sewage so probably paying for more than needed.

I live in Los Angeles so thinking somewhere maybe within 2 hours drive. Any good options? Bonus points if its an actual cool area / scenic camp site / resort. Also not really trying to "rough it" so bathroom / other amenities are great too!

Thanks!

Reactions: Misterbee
just go to the nation park site and find a location in the area you like, for you LA people thats prob like big bear or lake arrowhead type areas. Although mt baldy has some camping areas to i'm told, ( i just go there in the AM and hike and drive home in the evening). For me car camping is what i do when there is no campground and i just pull to a random patch of dirt well off the main road on a roadtrip.

just go to the nation park site and find a location in the area you like, for you LA people thats prob like big bear or lake arrowhead type areas. Although mt baldy has some camping areas to i'm told, ( i just go there in the AM and hike and drive home in the evening). For me car camping is what i do when there is no campground and i just pull to a random patch of dirt well off the main road on a roadtrip.
Not too many national parks have campsites with electricity. You might be better off searching one of the RV websites, like campendium.

Taking delivery of my new Model Y soon. I know once I get it I'll be looking to go on a road trip and was thinking a car camping trip would be a good way to get familiar with the car.

I know camp mode doesn't use up THAT much energy but ideally I was thinking of finding somewhere that is a tent site with electrical outlet so I can at least be plugged in overnight and not lose any battery while playing around with features. I'm guessing RV sites would work but don't need sewage so probably paying for more than needed.

I live in Los Angeles so thinking somewhere maybe within 2 hours drive. Any good options? Bonus points if its an actual cool area / scenic camp site / resort. Also not really trying to "rough it" so bathroom / other amenities are great too!

Thanks!
State parks with hookups are hard to find around these parts. Private campgrounds are a bit easier to find. You might try one of the RV websites like Campendium, or just find a KOA. Here are a few places that I like:

Malibu: Leo Carrillo SP

Ventura: Fun For The Family And Kids | Ventura Beach RV Resort | United States

Santa Barbara: RV Resort in Goleta, CA - Ocean Mesa RV Resort

Santa Ynez Valley: Home - Flying Flags

I am sure there are more, but those are this first I thought of.