TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EV Car/My Tesla - An Alexa skill for Amazon Echo / Tesla integration

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Gol4, Jan 24, 2017.

1. JD T

JD T Member

I saw someone commented, "Stopped working after getting Tesla software update 2020.48.26. Account link removed and have been unable to re-link since the software update.". That seems to be my issue.

2. Gol4

Gol4 Member

One of the endpoints was down. It should not be related to the software update. Please try again and let me know if you still see issues.

3. vinchanity

vinchanity New Member

I have been using EV car for a few weeks but had to reset my echo show. Now when I try to re-link EV Car it keeps getting "Endpoint Request timed out".

4. Gol4

Gol4 Member

Please try again. It should work now.

5. HeyEph

HeyEph Member

Am I seeing that "Open Trunk" and "Open Frunk" are not options?

6. Gol4

Gol4 Member

They are valid options and should work. In fact I just retried and they work as expected. For frunk, you might to say "open front trunk" since Alexa doesn't usually get "frunk".

• Like x 1
  7. Andy D

Andy D Member

I just tried to link my account to the Alexa skill and after submitting credentials, I get:

HTTPError = 444

Any thoughts?

8. Gol4

Gol4 Member

I'm also seeing a HTTP 444 error. It might be an related to MFA authentication changes on Tesla side. I'm trying to find more information.
    FYI I was able to use a recently generated token to enable this app though.

9. Andy D

Andy D Member

Tried to link Alexa skill a couple times and got "Incorrect login information. Please try again." Maybe related to MFA?

10. Gol4

Gol4 Member

Yes, the Authentication method that Tesla employs for the APIs has been changed. Implementing the new mechanism will take a while. I did find new documentation updated at Tim Dorr's excellent resource: Authentication however that has not worked for me yet.

For now, if you have an existing token generated before or one generated from another tool that support the new mechanism, you can use that token for enabling this skill.

11. Gol4

Gol4 Member

Authentication for this skill should work now. Tesla's new authentication mechanism has been incorporated.
    If anyone is still seeing issues using this skill, please post here.

12. Andy D

Andy D Member

Just tried to link Alexa skill and got:

{errorMessage=Cound not parse authorization code: [
    etc.

13. Gol4

Gol4 Member

Hmm... I can't reproduce this. I unlinked and re-linked both skills - E.V.Car and My Tesla. Both went though fine.
    Are you still seeing this?

14. Andy D

Andy D Member

Thanks for confirming that it's working for you. Here are my steps:

Evie Car

Alexa skill >> Disable skill >> Enable >> use password manager to plug in email address and password on the AWS page >> Submit

and I get this error:

{errorMessage=Cound not parse authorization code: [

], errorType=ValueError, stackTrace=[" File \"\/var\/task\/lambda_function.py\", line 36, in lambda_handler\n return(process_api_command(event))\n"," File \"\/var\/task\/lambda_function.py\", line 1001, in process_api_command\n return (generate_token(state, redirect_uri, email, password, token))\n"," File \"\/var\/task\/lambda_function.py\", line 1123, in generate_token\n car = falcon.mytesla(email=email, password=password, token=token)\n"," File \"\/var\/task\/falcon.py\", line 17, in __init__\n auth_result = tesla_auth.authorize_user(email, password)\n"," File \"\/var\/task\/tesla_auth.py\", line 128, in authorize_user\n authorization_code = get_authorization_code(code_challenge, cookie, field_list, email, password)\n"," File \"\/var\/task\/tesla_auth.py\", line 73, in get_authorization_code\n raise ValueError('Cound not parse authorization code: [{}]'.format(r.text))\n"]}

To be sure, I have MFA enabled on my Tesla account and I am not prompted anywhere for that MFA code.

Google Assistant Action >> Link >> LINK >> takes me to the same AWS form and submitting my credentials yields the same error (and no prompt for MFA code).

If I've misunderstood that EV car isn't working with MFA, my apologies.

15. Gol4

Gol4 Member

Thanks for the detailed message. Sorry I overlooked specifying that it does not yet work when MFA is enabled.

16. Andy D

Andy D Member

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I misread "Tesla's new authentication mechanism has been incorporated." as pertaining to MFA. I will keep my eyes open for a future update (hopefully!). Thank you!

17. Gol4

Gol4 Member

It wasn't just MFA. Tesla had changed the way the (undocumented) APIs used by this skill to authenticate users works. So people were not able to login at all using the skill. The change was to support the new authentication workflow.

Currently you can use this skill either if MFA is disabled for the account or if you use Tesla tokens generated elsewhere. Details for MFA handling for the APIs is still murky. When the details are clearer, support will be added to this skill.