Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Car/My Tesla - An Alexa skill for Amazon Echo / Tesla integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazon's review system is quite painful to work with. They take 3-5 days to come back with a response. Intead of testing all issues they find one just one. So you have to wait for the turnaround time for every little "issue" they find. Last week was a "space" requirement. This week they found references to Lock/Unlock in the Help section even though that actual functionality has been removed. Its nice that they are being through but just do it all at one time. I just resubmitted a new version for certification lets see how that progresses.

On another front, I had created a clone which could be invoked as "My Tesla" (instead of EV Car), not surprisingly they rejected that because of intellectual property concerns. I have been asked to provide documents proving that I have the rights to the word "Tesla" :) I tried to find some workaround using "unofficial" etc. in the title and description but they insist that the invocation words cannot be "My Tesla". Unless someone can come up with some creative workaround, we'll have to stick with "EV Car".

Good new folks, after almost of month of playing cat and mouse games, Amazon has finally reinstated the EV Car skill. Getting around their crazy certification process meant that we had to make a few changes - mostly around removing functionality and references to Lock/Unlock functionality. For existing users, you should just be able to use it, For new users, just search for "EV Car". You should also be able to find it at this URL: https://www.amazon.com/Nikhil-Kapur-EV-Car/dp/B01MU8Q80L/

I just get an error from Alexa that says she is having trouble accessing my EV Car skill right now. I had the skill from before all these issues came up and it worked fine. In the Alexa app it still shows the EV Car skill as being enabled as well.

Same issue: I had EV car running before it was pulled, and tonight Alexa had trouble accessing the skill. Per above, I disabled, then re-enabled the skill but upon account linking (with username/PW) I get this error:
{errorMessage=2017-03-02T04:15:04.021Z c9xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx Task timed out after 10.00 seconds}
and the skill fails to link.

I'd prefer a token link but I don't know how to get a Token to enter into the account linking screen: any suggestions? Any idea why I can't link via user/PW?

EDIT: I managed to get my Token -- if you use RemoteS it has a function to get your token for you (cool!) - I just copied to the clipboard then used it in the linking field. Unfortunately, as of right now (8:28pm PST) using the Token in EVCar account linking still gives the time out error above. Both on iOS Alexa app and via the web directly on Amazon.

Last edited:
Same issue: I had EV car running before it was pulled, and tonight Alexa had trouble accessing the skill. Per above, I disabled, then re-enabled the skill but upon account linking (with username/PW) I get this error:
{errorMessage=2017-03-02T04:15:04.021Z c9xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx Task timed out after 10.00 seconds}
and the skill fails to link.

I'd prefer a token link but I don't know how to get a Token to enter into the account linking screen: any suggestions? Any idea why I can't link via user/PW?

EDIT: I managed to get my Token -- if you use RemoteS it has a function to get your token for you (cool!) - I just copied to the clipboard then used it in the linking field. Unfortunately, as of right now (8:28pm PST) using the Token in EVCar account linking still gives the time out error above. Both on iOS Alexa app and via the web directly on Amazon.

I tried disabling and re-enabling the skill and had the same problem as @SteveW25561 and same error message.

Great, this skill is jinxed! After a few hours of debugging trying to isolate the problem, I was going to post that the problem seemed to be on Tesla's end. I should have just checked the API thread first. Model S REST API

Tesla is apparently blocking all incoming traffic from Amazon/AWS. This of-course had to happen on the very day this skill got reinstated :mad: