Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Car/My Tesla - An Alexa skill for Amazon Echo / Tesla integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Multiple car support is now enabled. To switch between cars just say "switch cars". It would be nice if someone who actually owns multiple teslas can validate that this is actually working.
Some invocation terms have been changed so voice recognition should be more accurate in general.
Last set of changes had introduced some errors (e.g. while getting name of car). They have been fixed.

I see that most users have moved over to using the "My Tesla" skill. If you are still using EV Car skill, here is a direct link to get to "My Tesla": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9Y4I1E . Feel free to leave honest feedback !

If you have feature requests, please post them here. Thanks.

Anyone in Canada know if Google has "removed" the ability to add 3rd party apps like this to Google Home? EV Car had been working very well, although it occasionally would, for some reason, say it had an invalid token and I'd have to use the app to reinitialize it. The token thing happened again, but now there is no way in the Canadian version of the Home app to add it (or any other app) back.

I haven't taken a decision on that yet. Are there ideas or code you are thinking of contributing?

I'm wondering if it's feasible to learn charging speeds. To reduce complexity, it couldn't only work for one charger (assuming whatever you use at home). The user could tell it to learn the charging speed (ideally starting with a low SOC). Then it could poll the charge level until full or nearly full and use that curve. After the learning process has been done for that car+charger combo, a user could ask to be charged to 90% for 630am or whatever. If you were taking a long trip, you wouldn't have to sit at a range charge for several hours. This would also be useful for those markets that have reduced electricity rates during certain night time hours. If you know you'll be done charging in 4 hours, and you have 6 hours at the lower rate, you can delay the charging until later into the night.

Anyone in Canada know if Google has "removed" the ability to add 3rd party apps like this to Google Home? EV Car had been working very well, although it occasionally would, for some reason, say it had an invalid token and I'd have to use the app to reinitialize it. The token thing happened again, but now there is no way in the Canadian version of the Home app to add it (or any other app) back.

Fixed. Google played around with how Google Home and Google Assistant interact. Prior to my issues, Google Assistant wasn't available in Canada for iOS, and that functionality was baked into the Canadian version of the Google Home app.I caught this issue right when Google Assistant was being rolled out in Canada and the 3rd party app handling was moved over there.

I'm wondering if it's feasible to learn charging speeds. To reduce complexity, it couldn't only work for one charger (assuming whatever you use at home). The user could tell it to learn the charging speed (ideally starting with a low SOC). Then it could poll the charge level until full or nearly full and use that curve. After the learning process has been done for that car+charger combo, a user could ask to be charged to 90% for 630am or whatever. If you were taking a long trip, you wouldn't have to sit at a range charge for several hours. This would also be useful for those markets that have reduced electricity rates during certain night time hours. If you know you'll be done charging in 4 hours, and you have 6 hours at the lower rate, you can delay the charging until later into the night.
IMHO the biggest reason to want to know charging rate is to have your charge finished just before you leave. This is an advantage in cold weather climates as it will mean that you don't have the limited regen that you often get when you start your car and it has a cold battery.

I hacked together some python code to do this but I just manually determined the charge rate and assumed that it was fixed as I am normally charging when the battery is from 50-80% charged and taking it back up to 90%.

My code wasn't part of an Echo skill it was just some simple Python code that I ran on a Raspberry Pi but it should run on most types of computers, especially Linux. I ran a cron job at around midnight that read your charge level. That would then set up a second cron job depending on how long the charge was expected to take. Let's say you wanted the charge to finish at 0700 and the charge would take 50 minutes. It would set up a cron job to run at 0610 that would initiate charging. You needed to enter your charge rate and set your desired end time, plus a buffer (if desired). I did post the code on here a year or so ago if I remember correctly. But I should probably clean up the code and redo it and use teslajson as the core of the code.