Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Car/My Tesla - An Alexa skill for Amazon Echo / Tesla integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are direct links. Both skills are identical right now:
EV Car: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU8Q80L
My Tesla: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9Y4I1E

If you use an Alexa app on a phone, you can go to Menu -> Skills and search for "EV Car"
Click on the skill and click on "Enable Skill" You should be able to find your way from there.

Just tried it, pretty cool! One suggestion - Add these links in the first post, if at all possible. Would increase adoption! Great job and thanks again.

Loaded the My Tesla and love it. 2 questions:
1) if I own an X and a 3 (soon hopefully), how does the "switch cars" command work? If I say, "alexa get charge status". Which car will it work for?
2) how can I say thank to you (e.g. money or an Amazon gift)? This is awesome!

I have an Amazon Echo Dot tucked away in the center console of my Model S. I am able to use the Skill that OP so generously created; but only when the car is in range of my home WiFi. I do own an iPhone so I know I can create a hotspot, but Verizon charges me for data. I know I can switch to an unlimited data plan, just not sure if I want to. Does anyone know another way to get internet access in my Tesla?

Loaded the My Tesla and love it. 2 questions:
1) if I own an X and a 3 (soon hopefully), how does the "switch cars" command work? If I say, "alexa get charge status". Which car will it work for?
2) how can I say thank to you (e.g. money or an Amazon gift)? This is awesome!

1) "switch cars" will cycle through all the cars on your account. The commands will work on the last car used (it remembers). You can say "what is your name" to check the currently selected car.
2) Thanks for the offer. Posting a paypal link might run afoul with the terms of service of the forums. I am not doing doing this as a commercial venture anyway. Thanks anyways.

I have an Amazon Echo Dot tucked away in the center console of my Model S. I am able to use the Skill that OP so generously created; but only when the car is in range of my home WiFi. I do own an iPhone so I know I can create a hotspot, but Verizon charges me for data. I know I can switch to an unlimited data plan, just not sure if I want to. Does anyone know another way to get internet access in my Tesla?

I use a similar setup. I haven't analyzed usage but I doubt if it would use a lot of data unless you were streaming audio. I have my Android setup such that it automatically turns on hotspot when I am in the car so the Echo is always connected without having to mess with the phone.

Take a look at these devices. They connect to your iphone via bluetooth then they piggy-back your connection to the Internet.
They do not use a lot of data to accomplish this, because the are not downloading a lot of data.
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Speak...8&qid=1521441765&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+speak

https://www.amazon.com/Speak-Music-...1521441850&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=muse+alexa
Fantastic! I try to keep up to date on technology, yet I had no idea devices such as this even existed. Thank you so much Akikiki.

Take a look at these devices. They connect to your iphone via bluetooth then they piggy-back your connection to the Internet.
They do not use a lot of data to accomplish this, because the are not downloading a lot of data.
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Speak...8&qid=1521441765&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+speak

https://www.amazon.com/Speak-Music-...1521441850&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=muse+alexa

I forgot to mention that I have both of them. I have to argue with myself as to which one to pay with on each ride.

The Garmin Speak comes with a long USB mini-c connector. Its 5 volt power. So, I added a 12v to 5v voltage reducer. I split my 12v power behind the speaker grille where the Blackvue 750 is powered. Now with two power sources, I branched one to the Garmin and plugged in the short cable. Mounted the Garmin just to the left in the corner glass of the windshield and the left side of the rear view mirror, above the mirror itself. It sites slightly forward of the rear view mirror. I have enough room to unplug power to the device easily.

The Garmin has two buttons. One is power. I was disappointed that they Garmin does not try to reconnet to my iphone (bluetooth) with on/off. I learned it is simpler to remove power and add back to get a fresh bluetooth connection. And to that end, I re-openned my speaker grille, and tucked a small 1 channel remote on/off power switch in there with the connection to the Garmin. I mounted the remote on the left side (outside) of my console. I can turn the Garmin off when I get out and when I choose to pull my iphone out of my pocket, to check the Garmin's bluetooth, I can press the remote to power the Garmin back on.

Since both the Garmin and the Muse use bluetooth, they compete for the connection. To keep things simple, I use one or the other.
The Muse has an USB standard connector and a 3.5mm connector to plug into an older iphone or other media device. The USB is for power. They expect us to simply plug into the USB ports on the console. The Muse also does not try to reconnect to my iphone when I get back in the car, so it needs a reboot-on/off again. Since the USB ports are switched, the Muse gets its refreshed power when the car starts again.

The Garmin has nav, but frankly even though its there, I don't use it since I have the screen. Both are fun to play with. And I have used them with different services that support Tesla in Alexa.

The Garmin has nav, but frankly even though its there, I don't use it since I have the screen. Both are fun to play with. And I have used them with different services that support Tesla in Alexa.

Thanks for the additional information. I already use the MyTesla and the EV Car Skills for Alexa. Are there any other services that support Tesla in Alexa which you recommend?

I have ordered the Muse which I plan to tuck away in the center console of my 2017 Tesla Model S. At first I was going to get the Garmin Speak Plus but I don't want the ugliness of it mounted on the windshield with a wire hanging down (I am not skilled enough to hide the wire behind the headliner or anything like that).

Last edited:
Can't wait to try this when I eventually get my Model 3!

The i1Tesla guy has a feature request for the Model 3 in general. I was wondering if it could be done in this app, as it sounds useful. Basically, he'd like to tell the car to open the trunk when he gets to the car. The main use would be to send the command from his phone while checking out at the grocery store, so when he gets there, the trunk is already unlocked and easier to open with full hands.

Buy the Jag and get a foot-gesture for trunk opening? :)

I bought a people-carrier some years ago, picked it up at 6PM in mid winter (already dark here). DS showed me the side-button on fob that opened the rear door, I thought it was cool. Wife had asked me to stop for shopping ... as I came out of supermarket with bags I approached my car, with fob already in hand I pressed the button ... nothing happened. Then I realised that it wasn't my car :) being new etc. I mistook both shape and colour. Found my car in the carpark, with trunk wide open ... could have taken someone's eye out :p

• Funny
Reactions: MarkKW and Akikiki
I've created an Alexa skill that lets you monitor and control some Tesla functions using an Amazon Echo. You can get charge status, location & climate state. You can also control your car - flash lights, honk, start/stop charging, start/stop climate system and lock/unlock doors. This does not require setting up any servers and does not store the Tesla account credentials anywhere. A token is generated once and is used only by the Alexa services. If you already have a token, you can enter that directly.

To get started, go to your Echo and say "Alexa, enable EV Car". Now go the Alexa app on your phone or Amazon.com Sign In on your browser, click on the "Link Account" link and enter the Tesla account information.

Here's are some things you can say:
ask EV Car how far can I drive
ask EV Car for charge status
ask EV Car for car status
ask EV Car for climate status
tell EV Car to set driver temperature to 72
tell EV Car to set passenger side to 73
tell EV Car to to honk
tell EV Car to flash
tell EV Car to lock/unlock
tell EV Car to turn climate on/off
tell EV Car to start heating
tell EV Car to cool my car
tell EV Car to stop climate
ask EV Car how warm is my car
ask EV Car dude where's my car ask
tell EV Car to get ready to take off
tell EV Car to go into hyperdrive

Please tell us how to create a token. please send instructions.

You can use the Remote S app to create a token. You copy it to the clipboard, then paste it into a text or email to get it off the phone.
The cost of Remote S is worth being able to do it again and again. But Remote S is a great app for your Tesla.

Anyone try this yet with the ANKER ROAV Viva? I have one that I bought for another car, but I may move it into my Model 3. Placement for the 12V socket is not ideal though (microphone pickup will be hobbled under the arm rest) so It might need to be extended and mounted elsewhere to be heard.