Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Car/My Tesla - An Alexa skill for Amazon Echo / Tesla integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a full Google home household including one Lenovo Smart Display. Would be really awesome if development could be done to better utilise the screen. Presently there is a basic phonetic read out of the response. would be nice if some controls were added to the response or possibly just display the visual response in a quick to read dashboard. Have included 2 photos, one is the response and one is a response from Harmony when activating the TV to display what 'could' be possible.....

That is interesting. Let me look into what it takes to build that. Thanks for you suggestion.

Reactions: CarsonGallo
Where is the " link account " on the Amazon account page, I can;t find it...
Here's a direct link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9Y4I1E
To find it in future, go to amazon.com and look for "My Tesla" under Alexa Skills category.
If you need to relink account, the skill should have sent a "Relink Card" to your Alexa app on your phone.
You can also go to the Alexa App, go to Skills & Games, on the top right click on "Your Skills".

I've created an Alexa skill that lets you monitor and control some Tesla functions using an Amazon Echo. You can get charge status, location & climate state. You can also control your car - flash lights, honk, start/stop charging, start/stop climate system and lock/unlock doors. This does not require setting up any servers and does not store the Tesla account credentials anywhere. A token is generated once and is used only by the Alexa services. If you already have a token, you can enter that directly.

To get started, go to your Echo and say "Alexa, enable EV Car". Now go the Alexa app on your phone or Amazon.com Sign In on your browser, click on the "Link Account" link and enter the Tesla account information.

Here's are some things you can say:
ask EV Car how far can I drive
ask EV Car for charge status
ask EV Car for car status
ask EV Car for climate status
tell EV Car to set driver temperature to 72
tell EV Car to set passenger side to 73
tell EV Car to to honk
tell EV Car to flash
tell EV Car to lock/unlock
tell EV Car to turn climate on/off
tell EV Car to start heating
tell EV Car to cool my car
tell EV Car to stop climate
ask EV Car how warm is my car
ask EV Car dude where's my car ask
tell EV Car to get ready to take off
tell EV Car to go into hyperdrive

Hi, can you also add this skill to the german Alexa appstore. if you need translation, just let me know.

This skill sounds fantastic. Especially the ability to warm the car up. My problem is that the Model 3 seems to really go into a sleep mode and doesn't want to wake up. This skill reports:

"Error, cannot communicate with vehicle. It may be disconnected or not awake."

The only way I can get the skill to work is to connect to the car with the app on the phone first. This kind of defeats the purpose.

I've noticed this skill isn't the only one having this problem with the Model 3. The "Wear for Tesla" app for Android Wear seems to suffer the same fate.

Is this just a timeout issue? Does the skill just need to wait longer for the Model 3 to wake up? Or is there a new Model 3 API that needs to be sent first to wake the car up?

I'd really love to be able to use this skill. Thanks for the hard work @Gol4 !

@Gol4 I asked around at the Model 3 Owners Club forums and I got this information:

Most Tesla API calls will fail if the car is asleep, so a well-designed application should gracefully handle the case where the car is asleep, rather than simply assume that the car is always awake.

The API does include an explicit "wake" command that the Tesla App calls on startup if the car is asleep... when you open the Tesla app and see "waking up" at the bottom, the app is sending this exact command. Any app or third-party service should always call "wake" prior to sending any subsequent commands, as there is no downside to calling "wake" on a car that is already awake.

In case you're curious, there's more info on the Tesla Owner API in this thread: Tesla Owner API and Car Data

...and a few examples of using TeslaFi scheduling to automate their cars (via the API) in this thread:
Using TeslaFi To Add "Features" - What's Your Favorite?

Is there any chance you could add this wake call to your skill? It seems this should work just fine even on the S and X.

@eXntrc Thanks for digging into this. The problem with Apps that run through the Amazon Alexa API is that there is a finite amount of time that an app has to respond in. If the app doesn't respond, Alexa itself will time out. Now, the app already calls "wake up" as the first command whenever it gets invoked. It then goes into a loop waiting for a valid response from the car. If it doesn't get a response within the max time allowed by Alexa, it return the error you see.

There are two ways around it. One, just issue a command again in a few seconds. That would have given enough time for wakeup to occur from the previous command.
Two, use the "Always Connected" feature on your Tesla. I keep that on on my MX and rarely see the wake-up issue.

@eXntrcThere are two ways around it. One, just issue a command again in a few seconds. That would have given enough time for wakeup to occur from the previous command.

Thanks for taking the time to reply @Gol4. I did try option #1 a few times. I tried multiple times over the course of about 5 minutes with no success before I finally launched the phone app and it worked. Is there any other reason it may not have worked? This was the first attempt after installing the skill and authenticating.

@eXntrcTwo, use the "Always Connected" feature on your Tesla. I keep that on on my MX and rarely see the wake-up issue.

Believe it or not, this option doesn't seem to exist on the Model 3. I searched for it and couldn't find it, then I found others looking for it in the Model 3 forums. The Model 3 communicates with the phone app over BLE when in range of the car. It only goes to cellular when not in BLE range. It looks like they changed power management for the 3 and it is "Always connected but must be woken up". If you know of any way to get to this option on a Model 3, I would be more than happy to turn it on.

P.S. here's a thread talking about the option missing from the Model 3:

Always Connected Missing on Model 3?

It appears you are new to the TMC forum. And you may also then be new to the Tesla forum for Model 3. Here's some info that might help you. We have known for a long time that Tesla folks (I mean company people) read the forums. And they often over time react to things requested. Those Tesla folks don't acknowledge or reply to forum posts, but we know they read. I highly encourage you to create a new "Always Connected Model 3 Request" thread and in your first post, explain why you need this feature and encourage other M3 owners to express their support for the feature. We know this method has worked in the past to get changes made. So, other than 10 minutes of time to type it up and do it, what else could you lose in trying?

Reactions: Deslah
I highly encourage you to create a new "Always Connected Model 3 Request" thread and in your first post, explain why you need this feature and encourage other M3 owners to express their support for the feature. We know this method has worked in the past to get changes made. So, other than 10 minutes of time to type it up and do it, what else could you lose in trying?

Sure @Akikiki . I did that here.

Can't seem to relink my car from EV Car anymore to smartphone. Have a brand new Pixel 3, and when I click the "Link" button from Google Assistant EV page, my screen just goes dark (50% grey) and seems to hang. Wait several minutes and have to hit back/previous to eventually get out of it.. nothing seems to happen.

Had EV car working on my previous phone (Samsung S7) prior to that. Have tried now several times over the past week, same result. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Since it only works with Teslas, please consider changing EV to Tesla. Better yet, it would be kool to replace it with our vehicle's name, i.e. "John's MS". Anyone using this app must be prepared to hear friends/family call us a "SHOW-OFF"

Getting the skill approved for general publication is hit-or-miss if you use trademark/brand names and aren't connected with the company (Choose the Invocation Name for a Custom Skill | Custom Skills)

To allow you change the skill name on the fly and replace it with your vehicle's name, I believe you'd have to publish the code and the lambda in your own developer account, since invocation names aren't variablized.

(edited to add link to the invocation name requirements)

@eXntrc Thanks for digging into this. The problem with Apps that run through the Amazon Alexa API is that there is a finite amount of time that an app has to respond in. If the app doesn't respond, Alexa itself will time out. Now, the app already calls "wake up" as the first command whenever it gets invoked. It then goes into a loop waiting for a valid response from the car. If it doesn't get a response within the max time allowed by Alexa, it return the error you see.

There are two ways around it. One, just issue a command again in a few seconds. That would have given enough time for wakeup to occur from the previous command.
Two, use the "Always Connected" feature on your Tesla. I keep that on on my MX and rarely see the wake-up issue.

First off, thanks for all the work on this great app!

One suggestion for the MCU2 owners among us who have difficulty getting our car to wake up quickly enough and lack the Always Connected option. Could you add an "Ask my car to wake up" command so we can just send a wake command without having an error initially anytime we interact with the car?