TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EV cars just got more expensive in BC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Al604, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Al604

Al604 Member

2. f-stop

f-stop Member

The fund is depleting quickly - I think there was about $1.3M left (or was it 1.6M?) back when I ordered end of Oct

3. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

it is day to day now..

4. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Yes its day to day now, but there are still funds and very likely the fund will be topped up anyway.

5. MarkoJ

MarkoJ Member

In the market for a Tesla and the combination of the CND dollar plunging (rumour is Tesla will adjust their CND prices up in February), EV credit gone, and add on the 15% luxury tax and poor financing rates it is getting to be expensive.

6. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

If the government simply decided to forego the incremental luxury tax on EV's that would be a big help. I for one found it rather insulting that my purchase was taxed the same way as if I'd bought a Ferrari or Aston Martin. Charging tax on our good intentions that actually further the government's lip service on addressing climate change isn't reasonable.

For that matter, they could scrap the rebate program and simply not charge PST on EV's... period. Then your savings would be proportional to your expenditure.

7. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

What makes you say that? The last time the fund was depleted, it wasn't topped up for about two years. In fact, it took a new budget to bring in the extra funds.

8. Paul Carter

Just a rumor I heard. Wondering if they'll wait to announce something at the Vancouver Auto Show in March. But I can't imagine the 366k remaining would last, would be nice if they are really going to fund it that they do it sooner so Tesla and the other dealers can show the incentive is active rather than this case by case basis.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not sure if it is a federal or provincial thing, but I was a bit miffed at having to pay the Air Conditioning tax here in Ontario. It was originally put in place as a kind of gas tax on the assumption that a/c equipped vehicles use more gasoline. Obviously doesn't apply to an EV, but there was no budging on it.

10. Soolim

Soolim Member

I think not charging luxury tax on the base model of the EV will make sense. Not sure if the EV incentive will come back given the slow economy and tax revenue needed by the BC government.

11. Paul Carter

This bodes well!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-electric-car-incentives-1.3414713?platform=hootsuite

12. MarkoJ

MarkoJ Member

Anyone know how long it is possible to delay an order? For example, if I place an order on February 7th before the Tesla price increase how far can it be pushed back to deliver (3-4 months?) to increase the chances of the clean energy vehicle program coming back before delivery.

13. Gary S

Gary S New Member

I was told yesterday that the delay can be up to 6 months maximum.

14. Paul Carter

Welcome to Gary S to TMC!

Yes that's the standard answer that everyone else seems to be getting.

15. Gary S

Gary S New Member

Thanks Paul!

And thanks for posting the article on the BC CEV. I've been following that story myself. Unfortunately, I did come across an article (sorry, I can't find the link right now) where Bill Bennett mentioned he might tweak the incentive portion of the program to exclude more expensive vehicles. :(

It would be great if the government would instead follow the advice of the Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association to support the incentive, exclude EV buyers from having to pay the luxury tax, and let EV's onto HOV lanes among other things.

EV Supporters Write Open Letter to BC Premier Clark VEVA

An additional incentive from the new federal government would be sweet too!

Anyway, my Model S purchase is on hold for now as I wait for approval from my strata to install a source of electricity at my parking stall and as I foot the bill for my upcoming wedding!

16. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

Welcome Gary. You might want to call up the Vancouver store to see what inventory vehicles they have in stock and if something checks all or most of your boxes on your options list, you can be in a Model S in a few days and take advantage of the CEV incentive before it runs out. Inventory cars can have a few hundred to a few thousand kilometers on them with further discounts based on mileage and qualify for the incentive. Just a suggestion if you are open to colours and options.

17. Gary S

Gary S New Member

Thanks DMD. Great advice.

18. Paul Carter

Yes I couldn't agree more. And we can all help! VEVA just sent this out to members. Would be great to see members contributing on what they should focus on.

19. MarkoJ

MarkoJ Member

The Incentive Funds Available on the website just went for 293k to 625k?

20. Paul Carter

Yes, I think it was even a little lower before quietly topped up. I would hope that they'll do some announcement at the Vancouver Auto Show in March regarding more fund replenishment.