Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charge cards for Germany and the Netherlands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there - we will be spending our summer holidays in the Netherlands and even though we will do all the long distance charging at superchargers, I was trying to order a charge card from one of the bigger charging providers like "TheNewMotion". As it turns out, you can only order a card if you have an Address (Bank Account) in Germany, the Netherlands or Belgium.

That's a major bummer for me and I have not been able to find other providers that or not only limited to just one or two countries. Have any of the swiss Tesla users travelled to the Netherlands and how did you do your public charging ? We are travelling to the island of Texel which is a TON of chargers but it looks like I will not be able to use any of them as I can't order their card or key..... : (

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Marc

Hi Marc,
In case you visit Grand Hotel Opduin at Texel, you will be able to slowly (schuko) charge your Tesla without a card at the hotel. They have several parking places next to some electrical outlets.
I visited this hotel in 11-2015.
Cheers,
Bas

Hi Bas - thank you for you quick feedback. I have now found an easy way to quickly create a free bank account (Das kann Bank | DKB AG) and am now able to use the charging network from TheNewMotion : ) It's amazing that I was able to create an account complete with identification via video call and sms authentication in under 10 minutes thanks to technology : )

We will be staying at a bungalow and not at a hotel. I hope that I will be able to charge the car there while "at home" but it will be great to know that I have other options. This will be our first big trip with multiple supercharger stops - so I want to be on the safe side. Especially since my wife still is a little sceptical regarding long trips ; )

Tot ziens !
Marc

- - - Updated - - -

oh and I have one more question. My Model S does not have air suspension and I am worried about the ferry ride. I remember from my childhood that the on and off ramps on ferries were always very steep and I'm worried that this might be problematic for a Model S without the ability to increase the distance to the ground ?

Hi Marc,
I believe you can park the car downstairs and upstairs on the ferry. We parked downstairs but did not need to higher the car even though I have the option it was not necessary.

Good to hear that you've got the NewMotion card. In case it wouldn't work you can always drive towards the hotel and go for a walk through the forest and beach. It's really nice there.

If you have any questions while you're in NL, just post it here. Lots of Dutch Tesla owners that will help you asap.
Cheers, Bas