Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charge King Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I believe they are between 2-300euros.

Plus the cost of an untethered type 2 wall connector. You need both to replace a Tesla Wall Connector (TWC). By that point, you are well past the cost of the TWC.

Otherwise is just a standard type 2 to type 2 cable, just like comes with the car, except it has the 'Tesla button'.

If you want something that will replace the TWC, thats also in the boot of your car in the form of the UMC - it comes with the button. Just need an appropriate connector lead like the 32A commando adaptor - approx £40 give or take. Plus getting a dedicated circuit for the commando - thats the expensive bit if charging outside and done fully to spec.

I've been using one for over 2 years now with our untethered home charger. Yes, it's expensive but the cable has worked as expected and has been completely reliable.

On our MS the button both opens the charge port to allow the cable to be plugged in and unlatches the cable when we wish to remove it. (So long as the car is unlocked)

Would I buy it again? - Yes, in a heartbeat.

The 7m cable is €229. It's not cheap, but Type 2 cables never are anyway. The problem I have is that my Rolec came with a 5m cable, which is juuuust a little bit too short to reach the charge port when the car is nose-in to the driveway. Replacing the Rolec completely with a Tesla Wall Connector (£460 from Tesla, around £400 from eBay) isn't a sure thing with my existing cabling and earth rod (and I believe the TWC requires a Type 2 RCD?), whereas swapping the cable (~£200) is a sure thing. It's on my shopping list and I'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: Roy W.
I have an EV chargeking cable with the Tesla command button, a 2Meter one and it's great. Not the cheapest option, but it works really well and i can confirm that the button works perfectly with the Model 3 to both open the charging port and to unlock the cable when unplugging the cable from the car.

I keep it in the car to use with both with my EO Unteathered chargeport at home and when using third party chargers (Pointpoint etc).

Another voice of support for EV chargeking cables. I needed a slightly longer cable than the standard supplied type 2 cable, and missed the Tesla button from the UMC when I got a 32A Zappi installed. The 6m chargeking cable is very useful length so I don't need to worry about exact placement of car or whether I park forwards or backwards by my charge point.

Another bonus is the EV chargeking cable itself is also way lighter than the Mennekes type 2 cable. More like the guage of the Tesla UMC cable. Handles 32 amp charge perfectly.