TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EV Charge King Cable

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Teemo, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Teemo

Teemo Member

Hi,

Has anyone used the EV charge king cable with built in button to operate the Tesla charge port door?

Charging cable with Tesla command button - evChargeking

Interested to see how reliable they are, I see it as a cheaper option to the Tesla wall charger.

Any advice, much appreciated.

2. Rajanm1

Rajanm1 Member

Don't think it unlocks the cable after charging like the wall charger would?

3. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Supporting Member

Isn't it eu$300 (for 7m) on top of an untethered charge point?

4. Teemo

Teemo Member

Yes I believe they are between 2-300euros.
    Had any experience of using one?

5. Teemo

Teemo Member

According to the video / description on the website it does .

6. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Supporting Member

Plus the cost of an untethered type 2 wall connector. You need both to replace a Tesla Wall Connector (TWC). By that point, you are well past the cost of the TWC.

Otherwise is just a standard type 2 to type 2 cable, just like comes with the car, except it has the 'Tesla button'.

If you want something that will replace the TWC, thats also in the boot of your car in the form of the UMC - it comes with the button. Just need an appropriate connector lead like the 32A commando adaptor - approx £40 give or take. Plus getting a dedicated circuit for the commando - thats the expensive bit if charging outside and done fully to spec.

7. McWill

McWill Member

I've been using one for over 2 years now with our untethered home charger. Yes, it's expensive but the cable has worked as expected and has been completely reliable.

On our MS the button both opens the charge port to allow the cable to be plugged in and unlatches the cable when we wish to remove it. (So long as the car is unlocked)

Would I buy it again? - Yes, in a heartbeat.

• Like x 2
  8. rotor2k

rotor2k Member

The 7m cable is €229. It's not cheap, but Type 2 cables never are anyway. The problem I have is that my Rolec came with a 5m cable, which is juuuust a little bit too short to reach the charge port when the car is nose-in to the driveway. Replacing the Rolec completely with a Tesla Wall Connector (£460 from Tesla, around £400 from eBay) isn't a sure thing with my existing cabling and earth rod (and I believe the TWC requires a Type 2 RCD?), whereas swapping the cable (~£200) is a sure thing. It's on my shopping list and I'm looking forward to it.

• Like x 1
  9. RichieC

RichieC Member

I have an EV chargeking cable with the Tesla command button, a 2Meter one and it's great. Not the cheapest option, but it works really well and i can confirm that the button works perfectly with the Model 3 to both open the charging port and to unlock the cable when unplugging the cable from the car.

I keep it in the car to use with both with my EO Unteathered chargeport at home and when using third party chargers (Pointpoint etc).

10. IanL

IanL Member

Another voice of support for EV chargeking cables. I needed a slightly longer cable than the standard supplied type 2 cable, and missed the Tesla button from the UMC when I got a 32A Zappi installed. The 6m chargeking cable is very useful length so I don't need to worry about exact placement of car or whether I park forwards or backwards by my charge point.

Another bonus is the EV chargeking cable itself is also way lighter than the Mennekes type 2 cable. More like the guage of the Tesla UMC cable. Handles 32 amp charge perfectly.