TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EV Charger Etiquette

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by MDR SEA, Jul 15, 2017.

1. MDR SEA

MDR SEA 2015 Model S 85D...& loving it!

Fellow EV pilots,
    Currently we live in a sweet spot for EV adoption and charge station density.
    I travel for business in my Model S, racking up 10K miles since January.
    By an large, I've had no problem finding open charge stations.
    However, I know that this situation won't last as more folks join our numbers.
    As with any increase in user density of a finite resource we need to adopt rules of etiquette for friendly survival.
    For my part, when I'm charging overnight or for a prolonged period I place the attached sign on my dash (see photo).
    I covered my phone number for this photo, but you get the idea.
    Here's hoping that others might do the same.
    Cheers
    MDR

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

• Informative x 1
  3. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Member

Here's the one I made, which you all are welcome to swipe and use, with a place for your phone number. Note the plug for this site at the bottom. :D

ChargingPlacard.png

• Like x 1
  4. MDR SEA

5. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

You can unlock from remote if you trust the person calling. On J1772 they can always unplug and leave adapter in port.

6. Buster1

Buster1 Member

These are great ideas. You guys are win the "most polite EVer" awards. Seriously, that's cool.

7. MDR SEA

On the flip side, I've been ICE'd out by some folks with plug-in hybrids.
    I guess they like the novelty of plugging in but I wish there were signage to enlighten them to the plight of those of us who rely on amps alone.

8. wwu123

wwu123 Member

I just found in a drawer a placard Topfit sent for free from buying one of theirTesla accessories a few months ago. It has a spinning clock face to set what time charging might be finished. I'll plan to use it at Superchargers going forward.

More importantly at work we have about eight L2 charging stations, but many more plug-in hybrids and EV's. I generally don't charge at work more than say four hours every other week, as I don't need to for my daily roundtrip commute - while the Leafs or plug-in hybrids might really need the extra juice. I'll start using the placard at work too, as L2 congestion is only going to get worse as well.

9. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 17.32.6ca28227

I got a bunch of those for free from Topfit as well and use one at work sometimes. We've got 36 L2 chargers so I usually only use them once a week, such as Fridays when they aren't as full.

Attached Files: