Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charger Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MDR SEA

15 MS 85D, 16 MX 90D, 23 MY, Retired ICE Wrench
Dec 29, 2016
Pac NW
Fellow EV pilots,
Currently we live in a sweet spot for EV adoption and charge station density.
I travel for business in my Model S, racking up 10K miles since January.
By an large, I've had no problem finding open charge stations.
However, I know that this situation won't last as more folks join our numbers.
As with any increase in user density of a finite resource we need to adopt rules of etiquette for friendly survival.
For my part, when I'm charging overnight or for a prolonged period I place the attached sign on my dash (see photo).
I covered my phone number for this photo, but you get the idea.
Here's hoping that others might do the same.
Cheers
MDR

Attachments

• 20170714_080937_resized.jpg
    20170714_080937_resized.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 261
On the flip side, I've been ICE'd out by some folks with plug-in hybrids.
I guess they like the novelty of plugging in but I wish there were signage to enlighten them to the plight of those of us who rely on amps alone.

I just found in a drawer a placard Topfit sent for free from buying one of theirTesla accessories a few months ago. It has a spinning clock face to set what time charging might be finished. I'll plan to use it at Superchargers going forward.

More importantly at work we have about eight L2 charging stations, but many more plug-in hybrids and EV's. I generally don't charge at work more than say four hours every other week, as I don't need to for my daily roundtrip commute - while the Leafs or plug-in hybrids might really need the extra juice. I'll start using the placard at work too, as L2 congestion is only going to get worse as well.

I just found in a drawer a placard Topfit sent for free from buying one of theirTesla accessories a few months ago. It has a spinning clock face to set what time charging might be finished. I'll plan to use it at Superchargers going forward.

More importantly at work we have about eight L2 charging stations, but many more plug-in hybrids and EV's. I generally don't charge at work more than say four hours every other week, as I don't need to for my daily roundtrip commute - while the Leafs or plug-in hybrids might really need the extra juice. I'll start using the placard at work too, as L2 congestion is only going to get worse as well.
I got a bunch of those for free from Topfit as well and use one at work sometimes. We've got 36 L2 chargers so I usually only use them once a week, such as Fridays when they aren't as full.

Attachments

• 20170720_091321.jpg
    20170720_091321.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 188
On the flip side, I've been ICE'd out by some folks with plug-in hybrids.
I guess they like the novelty of plugging in but I wish there were signage to enlighten them to the plight of those of us who rely on amps alone.

The Landlords who own charging stations need to start updating their #EVsigns

This Instagram account shows examples of properly written EVsigns:

EV-Signs.com (@evsign) • Instagram photos and videos

379E2E95-E7F2-4CD9-89DC-4BA59C8A17A5.jpeg