Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charger Maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting on apple processing my enrollment to publish the OCM app to the Apple marketplace for iPhone and iPad.

We (openchargemap) encourage as many developers as possible to try their hand at developing charger map apps using our core data (OpenChargeMap.org : The open, global database of charging point information
> develop).

In the meantime, you can bookmark OpenChargeMap to your iOS device homescreen and it works pretty well, more improvements to come for all platforms. We're not very consumer focussed though (more about data than apps) so we're still hoping for other developers to fill that gap.

Christopher Cook - openchargemap.org

Is there a good iOS app that uses the open database of charging locations?

GSP

We're a UK charity and about to install a large number of charge points throughout the UK. We will add our location and charge point data to several of the existing charger maps. Unfortunately, each of theses map databases are proprietary and it will take considerable effort to maintain the data as the number of sites grows.

Is anyone aware of an open source charge map application that we could throw our weight behind? If not, would anyone like to join us in developing an open source solution for the EV community?

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not discuss this in public.

Dear Kevin,

I ve been tipped by Talkradius today for donating HPC. We, Bertha Benz Challenge, try to push and promote new.mobility in Germany with our event since 2011.
Talkradius made comment that it is missed oppurtunity to use mobile charging stations that will dissappear after the event. Since Tesla drivers could already use
it today as they are ahead and can/ should act as pioneers again here.

Bertha Benz Challenge is a 3 day event along the historical Bertha Benz Memorial Route, which of course we would love to have electrified at certain locations and if possible realise a H2 station. For this we need financially strong and competent partners, since this topic is highly political , and so far one of the obvious ones ( can`t mention name here) is not actively interested in cooperation.

In case you offer is still valid and also for Germany, we should look if we can realise to install something concretely along the roads. What do you offer exactly and on what
conditions ?
This year we ll have planned our event with mobile stations, but maybe we could something parallel or for 2013 as a pilot ? Our event is growing and we aim and expect our first participants from Benelux this year. Of course we look also a bit what happens in UK and F as well.

Aktuell

Would be pleased if you send me a reply => PN

Best regards,

Peter Paul K-P

Well, the Open Charge Map iOS app finally made it to the Apple marketplace!

There will be a few updates soon as the initial version is slightly behind the main web application and Android version by a few weeks. We'd appreciate users on Android or iOS giving it a try leaving comments on charging locations when they use them, it's invaluable to other users. We've added an additional 750 (approx) charging locations to our data in the last month, so if there are other developers out there looking to do an app please visit http://openchargemap.org and get our API details (which will also be getting new features soon).

If you know of a large number of locations missing from our data please let us know.

Chris
Openchargemap.org

There will be a few updates soon as the initial version is slightly behind the main web application and Android version by a few weeks. We'd appreciate users on Android or iOS giving it a try leaving comments on charging locations when they use them, it's invaluable to other users. We've added an additional 750 (approx) charging locations to our data in the last month, so if there are other developers out there looking to do an app please visit http://openchargemap.org and get our API details (which will also be getting new features soon).

If you know of a large number of locations missing from our data please let us know.

Chris
Openchargemap.org
This app seems rather sluggish, particularly when using the map. It needs a way to upload a photo from your mobile device (kind of like Gas Buddy). The Google Street View images aren't so helpful.

I tried to download it but since I'm on the iOS update one before the current one it would not download.
I know you're thinking I should just update, but I have reasons for not doing so, but just wanted to let you know.
Is it some stipulation by the Apple Marketplace that you be able to be used only with the latest iOS? Curious only.

Is it some stipulation by the Apple Marketplace that you be able to be used only with the latest iOS? Curious only.

As far as I know, it's by application. Some applications use features from the the latest iOS and won't work with older versions. Mostly folks upgrade to the latest version when the reminder comes up and so, unlike OS X, there aren't many people older versions. This results in this kind of problem not being discussed much.

The Apple App Store fully supports backward compatibility. When building an App, it's just a setting "iOS Deployment Target". The current toolset supports iOS all the way back to version 3.0.

There is some work involved in supporting old version with new software. As the system is updated, new functions are added to the OS. If you try to use a new function while running on an old system, the app crashes. So, you have to be aware of which functions are new and bypass those calls when running on older systems. If your app absolutely depends on new functions, then it can't run on old systems, but if features can be disabled it's fine.

I tried to download it but since I'm on the iOS update one before the current one it would not download.
I know you're thinking I should just update, but I have reasons for not doing so, but just wanted to let you know.

The new update has been submitted to the app store and should work on earlier versions of iOS now. The map view has been updated to fix some performance glitches.

The app uses the same code on all platforms which makes it a little slower than equivalent apps built for a specific platform, if any developers are interested in helping our app is open source and they can submit improvements back to us. It uses HTML5, jQuery Mobile etc with a phonegap wrapper. Alternatively everyone is welcome to use our api to develop their own apps without having to curate their own database.

Regarding upload of images and videos immediately still debating they best approach, its technically simple to upload stuff but the cost implication of hosting all that content can't be overlooked as we operate with zero funding. That's an issue once you have hundreds of thousands of charging locations.

Chris
Openchargemap.org

Can you host images and video externally using Flickr, YouTube, etc? Adding helpful tags to make the entries also discoverable there?

A few UI suggestions:

- After clicking through the map to view the data associated with a pin, please make the return to the map display the same location and zoom as when you clicked through (rather than the location and zoom of the search result) - otherwise it's hard to run through a number of locations in an area
- can editors log in via the app? Or do we have to use the web app?
- I find it confusing that the advanced search parameters live not on the search tab but the settings.

Thanks

Andrew

While simple and easy is incredibly important, a charging station map becomes far more helpful if it contains the data that helps a driver choose between sites. My site survey collects data on parking policy signage, ICEing, station failures, etc., in a systematic why that can be summarized and presented concisely. Simple controls that lets site visitors report information about site design, "this station has no restriction on parking", "this station was ICEd", "this station is wheelchair accessible", etc., add significant value to a map database/app.

You guys are welcome to the survey data I've collected. Just ask and I'll set you up with web APIs to extract the data.

Kevin, for twitter, the simple approach there would just be for us to show twitter feeds on each details page, listing tweets with a hash tag matching the location id, like #OCM-5870 for instance. That would work for recent tweets but guess they would be transient and would easily open to abuse, that doesn't bother me though as we wouldn't be importing these things, just showing the latest. We could easily have a twitter/facebook share link on each location for folks to use to kick off their comment.

Tom, regarding your offer of data, we'd appreciate that and if you can message me the details I'll have a look at what we can use. We do have support at the backend for *any* metadata we define to be attached to a location, but it's currently unused.

Andrew, the latest app update (waiting on apple review) fixes the map refresh issues. Editors cannot currently login to the downloaded app, only the web based app - this is because authenticate is done via OAuth redirection to a URL, not quite as easy to do outwith the browser - I'm looking at ways to do that. Just bookmark the web app to your device home screen for now. Your correct that the search filters should be on the search page, there should also be a search on the map page - just a chunk of refactoring required to make that happen (and some UI decisions to make). Regarding hosting images/videos on external service, we can do that its just a matter of evaluating different approaches then integrating them. The easiest approach will be for users to submit an optional URL with their comment, which we then parse - this is open to potential abuse and we have to decide if we need to guard against that somehow (or not).

Regards,
Chris

Last edited: