Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charger Maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still though some of my comments may apply
sure they do.... we are really grateful for your feedback :smile:

My narrow minded goggles say, "So I contribute local plug boxes to your database and then the charge map/app I use does not access it so i have done that inputting work for nothing?"
and my goggles look forward in time and see a world with 1000 Charging Station Apps/Websites and none that are accurate or complete :wink:

Erik,

Further to your previous comments I've reorganised the OpenChargeMap.org : The open charging point database front page a little to emphasis the map. Regarding your comment about the site name, it's a list of charging locations (i.e. places you can charge your car) not chargers. Note that snappily titled sites/apps can rebrand our data etc at will, so if a good name is the key to popularity then there's plenty of opportunity remaining for others while still using us as a base.

If the app you use doesn't have the info you've given us, I'd urge them to start using our database as a source of information (make make it very easy to do so), it'll benefit them either way.

As mentioned we're working on a more consumer friendly front end for the information (the 'web app'), but it's still early days.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks for the clarification.

Still though some of my comments may apply. As I posted recently on another thread. "Nerds like good packaging too."

My narrow minded goggles say, "So I contribute local plug boxes to your database and then the charge map/app I use does not access it so i have done that inputting work for nothing?"
Pretty selfish these goggles are.

Current Number of Charging Locations Per Country in the OpenChargeMap database:

United States: 1901
United Kingdom: 436
Portugal: 119
Hong Kong: 100
Austria: 97
Japan: 29
Ireland: 4
Netherlands: 3
Denmark: 2
Australia: 1
Canada: 1
Finland: 1

Volunteers are currently working on data for Germany and Austria...

Is there an app or site which can optimise my route and/or include charging points given a start and end point? Alternatively, I'd like to see a google maps route with all charge points within 20 miles of my route for the entire route. Does this exist? Sorry if I'm reposting. Thanks in advance.

Current Number of Charging Locations Per Country in the OpenChargeMap database:

United States: 1960
United Kingdom: 585
Sweden: 239
Hong Kong: 100
Austria: 97
Norway: 85
Denmark: 56
Finland: 21
Australia: 3
Netherlands: 3
New Zealand: 1

So we've got one charge location in all 9,984,670 square km of Canada. I'm pretty sure there's two.

I'm pretty sure there are more than that in Quebec alone just not sure if they are publically accessible. We have the ones for the carpooling test (Clic | Société de transport de Laval) and the ones for the support of the fleet of Leafs for Communauto (Québec enters the era of electric vehicles available to all | News | Communauto) plus the Canadian Nissan dealerships certified to handle the Leaf (NISSAN CANADA ANNOUNCES RETAIL NETWORK FOR ALL-ELECTRIC NISSAN LEAF).

Does the OpenChargeMap database have Nissan Dealers that are open to allowing non-Leaf charging?

it will remain at one unless someone from the community gets involved and starts adding the Charging Station data :wink:

You missed the sarcasm... we have almost no infrastructure here. I am aware of TWO J1772 locations at the Montreal and Toronto Sheraton hotels. I know of an EV-friendly RV campground with NEMA 14-50 available.

Any others I've heard of may not be publicly accessible, like the one pointed out by clea and of course the occasional Nissan dealer that might have one installed prior to introduction of the car in Canada.

Now that I know it's a database and not an app, I can provide better feedback. The database needs to have the type of plug, current rating, public or private, cost of parking, availability, in addition to the obvious information about location. Providing these things in the notes or comments associated with the site is useless to any app developer. As Tom, Eric, Slackjaw, myself, and others have pointed out, we need to be able to filter for what we need. Suppose I don't have time to charge at 32A so I just want to get the Roadster hubs. Or all the points that are 40A or greater with only my particular adapter. While that info might sometimes be in the comments, you need separate fields. I also think in the future there will be so many EVs with short range like the Leaf and coming Rav4 that they will all be competing for stations. It would be nice to find a way for the database to report availability or typical usage patterns. Hard to do I know...

Thanks for your efforts.

The database needs to have the type of plug, current rating, public or private, cost of parking, availability, in addition to the obvious information about location.
much of this is in the database today...

It would be nice to find a way for the database to report availability or typical usage patterns. Hard to do I know...
we are working with the Charging Station vendors on 'status' and there is a proposed open standard... anyones guess whether it will be supported by the industry :wink:

Current Number of Charging Locations in the OpenChargeMap database = 3595:

United States: 1962
Austria: 382
Sweden: 239
Hong Kong: 101
Norway: 85
Denmark: 58
Finland: 21
Netherlands: 5
Australia: 3
New Zealand: 1

For the last 9 years I have been driving LPG vehicles, covering around 240,000 miles. Except where caused by my own negligence, and with a range of around 350 miles, I have never had a problem finding fuel. Why do I mention this? Because there are somewhere around 1000 LPG filling stations in the UK.

585 stations represents real progress.

could you go more into detail WRT the job description?
The basic idea is that 'country editors' would provide the QA stage between the data submitted by end users and the data entered into the database. We don't think that the workload will be excessive, just a steady stream of submissions to approve. I also hope that the editors will become the focal point for OCM activity in their country.

IMO the most important quality for an OCM editor is 'trustability' :smile:

is there a data exchange with LEMNet.org ?
We have approached LEMNet a number of times requesting a data exchange. At this time they are unwilling to share data but I suspect that stance will change as OCM grows and EV drivers begin to ask what the third parties are doing with the data they provide. We expect to have 4000 locations in 16 countries in the near future and that is difficult to ignore :wink: