Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charger with retractable reel cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone

Had my first test drive today on a Model 3 after weeks of Googling and YouTubing various aspects to research, but theres some more obscure questions I have that I'll be posting on these forums over the next few days.

The first is a home charger.

I was going to get the Tesla Wall Connector, but thinking about it, it looks really untidy with the way the cable is just strown over the top. Is there a tidier solution that'll give me the same charge rates (dependent on my electrician doing a site visit - still yet to be arranged) that can be retracted/reeled in?

I have come up mostly short when looking online, but one comment on a reddit thread that struck me was someone stressing to unwind the entire cable before charging, as the cable would get hot and would cause a fire if reeled up. Obviously I don't want this to happen, and I thought this made sense... but my question is, is that right? That'll explain the somewhat untidy nature of most EV chargers I've seen.

I know there's an option to have a charge point that I plug the cable into and then into the car, but ideally, I'd want a more slick approach.

I should say I have no garage, just a drive - so this would be mounted on my wall.

Hope I can get some help!

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
Hey everyone

Had my first test drive today on a Model 3 after weeks of Googling and YouTubing various aspects to research, but theres some more obscure questions I have that I'll be posting on these forums over the next few days.

The first is a home charger.

I was going to get the Tesla Wall Connector, but thinking about it, it looks really untidy with the way the cable is just strown over the top. Is there a tidier solution that'll give me the same charge rates (dependent on my electrician doing a site visit - still yet to be arranged) that can be retracted/reeled in?

I have come up mostly short when looking online, but one comment on a reddit thread that struck me was someone stressing to unwind the entire cable before charging, as the cable would get hot and would cause a fire if reeled up. Obviously I don't want this to happen, and I thought this made sense... but my question is, is that right? That'll explain the somewhat untidy nature of most EV chargers I've seen.

I know there's an option to have a charge point that I plug the cable into and then into the car, but ideally, I'd want a more slick approach.

I should say I have no garage, just a drive - so this would be mounted on my wall.

Hope I can get some help!
Very good questions.
I have no personal experience with the home charging yet but would love to learn something too because the delivery of my M3 is coming soon.
What I would assume is that the charging cable they use for Tesla Wall Connector is rated and certified for use in any condition, so it shouldn't matter if it's used outside and also shouldn't matter if it's reeled, or not, but you may want to confirm it with both your Tesla rep and your electrician. At least according to Tesla's website, the Wall Connector is for indoor/outdoor use, so this shouldn't be an issue at all.

If you reel the cable on top of the charger, since the charger generates heat and heat rises, the portion of cable on top can get hot. An easy solution is to reel it on another place. People sell plastic reel pieces but you can use what you want.

I haven't seen an actual reeling mechanism.

If you reel the cable on top of the charger, since the charger generates heat and heat rises, the portion of cable on top can get hot. An easy solution is to reel it on another place. People sell plastic reel pieces but you can use what you want.

I haven't seen an actual reeling mechanism.
Yeah, I guess you can get a separate cable hook for just a few bucks at Home Depot, etc. and mount it next to the charger. It would solve the problem.

one comment on a reddit thread that struck me was someone stressing to unwind the entire cable before charging, as the cable would get hot and would cause a fire if reeled up

This is not true. Place the charger strategically, as close to the charge port as possible (there are other considerations if you have multiple EVs, etc.), and just plug it in. I leave one loop undone so I can step over the cable easily. 80% or so of the cable is wrapped around the Wall Connector.

Leave as much cable as possible wrapped up. No one wants to be fiddling around with cable if you can avoid it.

For more complicated situations, there are tool balancers, pulley systems hidden in the ceiling, etc. If you search here you'll find some pretty cool contraptions people have rigged up for ceiling mount systems (which are not to code probably, but the person who did it was an electrician so might have been fine). I use a tool balancer for the J-1772 connector for my other EV, since the cable has to be in the middle of the garage due to the charge port position. Works well.

If you're up for spending the $$$, you can buy one of those counterweight hose retractors they have at gas station fuel pumps. Since it's counterweighted you'd just put on enough weight so the hose/cord is suspended up for a smidge more weight of whatever EV charger cable you have. It's like $400 to $500 for a 18 foot hose/cable. Think of having the nostalgia of pulling up to a fuel pump with one of these in your garage!

1638224021104.png

1638224128378.png

If you're up for spending the $$$, you can buy one of those counterweight hose retractors they have at gas station fuel pumps. Since it's counterweighted you'd just put on enough weight so the hose/cord is suspended up for a smidge more weight of whatever EV charger cable you have. It's like $400 to $500 for a 18 foot hose/cable. Think of having the nostalgia of pulling up to a fuel pump with one of these in your garage!
ChargePoint have similar mechanism in their public stations and it a pain in the ass if your charge port is not right next to the station. These things get broken frequently from people over-stretching them.

128138.jpg