Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV chargers - good & bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any that should be avoided or that are wholly recommended? I realise its a bit of a minefield with earth rods, connected vs not connected, cost
There is a guy (Artisan Electricians) who fits all models and does lots of Youtube videos of their fitting and features. I emailed him and asked his which was best expecting to get a 'wishy wahsy' answer and no . . he emailed back "Hypervolt is the best" and he gave various reason about reliability, software and backup.

I would avoid EVBox if you can - took me months of chasing to get them to replace a faulty charger. Was charging well below the max rate, for ages they said it was normal for it to throttle back to avoid overheating, even overnight at <5 degrees).

When they did eventually relent they then said they were out of stock for months - they weren’t, they had sent a replacement unit to my installer but hadn’t told them it was my replacement unit.

I have a SyncEV, and would not recommend it. I wish I'd never bought it. It can't do off-peak charging without sending pulses to a car to keep it awake; the other option is to charge at minimal current until the cheap rate. The developers have sad they will fix, but they never have.

So now, I use my Tesla charger for the Tesla and a Granny Charger for our Smart car and that works very well.

I have an untethered PodPoint & it's been 100% reliable. Never had any issues & use the built-in scheduling to charge during GoFaster hours. It works fine in "dumb" mode without schedules if you have no wi-fi connection, but a word of caution; if you want to use the scheduling it needs a decent wi-fi connection. I've read from some that if the connection isn't very good there can be issues with scheduling as it's server-controlled not locally set.
I agree, good charger.
What I didn’t realise was if the wife connection drops, the charger coverts to dumb charger. The PodPoint scheduling is a bit of a pain on the app, would like simple on and off toggle for scheduling. So when I want to charge on-peak - I’ll just turn off the garage Wi-Fi. Sorted. 😃

I agree, good charger.
What I didn’t realise was if the wife connection drops, the charger coverts to dumb charger. The PodPoint scheduling is a bit of a pain on the app, would like simple on and off toggle for scheduling. So when I want to charge on-peak - I’ll just turn off the garage Wi-Fi. Sorted. 😃
It needs a connection to your wife? ;)

Tesla Wall Connector here. Simple, “dumb” charger but that’s how I like them. ;)
Flawless and has “the button” to open the charge port, which is convenient :)

I have the Andersen A2 and whilst overall I'm happy with it i've had some issues. First was the installer not doing the best job on the install and also throwing out the adaptive fuse I paid for. To be fair they sent out one of their senior engineers to rectify it. Current issue is they have a bug where some accounts lose the charge schedule on a regular basis, been affecting me for a few months and no news on a fix yet.

It looks good though and when it was working correctly I had no complaints

It certainly seems to be a bit of a minefield choosing a charger. I'm also not convinced the grant is worth the hassle as it seems the companies involved inflate their prices accordingly. I'm toying with getting some solar panels in the next few months and can see the potential benefits of having a Zappi type charger that utilises that power. But in reality I don't know that there'd be left-over power frequently enough to make the extra Zappi cost worthwhile.

There is a guy (Artisan Electricians) who fits all models and does lots of Youtube videos of their fitting and features. I emailed him and asked his which was best expecting to get a 'wishy wahsy' answer and no . . he emailed back "Hypervolt is the best" and he gave various reason about reliability, software and backup.
Ive got the hypervolt and very pleased with it so far