Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV charging at condos (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree that GM's president wrote that as a "call to action" for other large auto makers.

That makes exactly ZERO sense. CEO's don't usually egg their competitors on to be more competitive, they focus on improving their own company.

The story reads (superficially) as a pro-EV piece but the average reader is basically being told that the current crop of EV's are not yet a good choice for most drivers due to the fact that EV's are not competitive in terms of cost, range and availability of charging stations. It completely neglects to mention most people charge almost exclusively at home and it treats current EV owners as a special class of people who are willing to put up with these disadvantages but that most people would not. This article was written to extend the reign of the ICE and the ignorance of the ICE driving public. Obviously.

I'm baffled that anyone would fall for this as being a "call to action" of his competitors. Absolutely ridiculous.

Wow, did you actually read the article?

From the article:
"Nearly 80% of electric vehicle owners charge their vehicles at home, and almost 15% at work, with the rest at public stations"

"To get the electric vehicle to first-string status, manufacturers simply must make it as good or better than the cars, trucks and crossovers most people are used to driving today. And we must deliver on our promise of making affordable, appealing EVs in the widest range of sizes and body styles possible. When we do that, electric vehicle adoption and acceptance will be widespread, and it can happen sooner than most people think."

As a TSLA investor, I find it notable when the president of a competitor writes an opinion piece like this. It is a big change from the overtly disparaging comments from major manufacturers I have witnessed over the years.

From the article:
"Nearly 80% of electric vehicle owners charge their vehicles at home, and almost 15% at work, with the rest at public stations"

"To get the electric vehicle to first-string status, manufacturers simply must make it as good or better than the cars, trucks and crossovers most people are used to driving today. And we must deliver on our promise of making affordable, appealing EVs in the widest range of sizes and body styles possible. When we do that, electric vehicle adoption and acceptance will be widespread, and it can happen sooner than most people think."

As a TSLA investor, I find it notable when the president of a competitor writes an opinion piece like this. It is a big change from the overtly disparaging comments from major manufacturers I have witnessed over the years.

The adoption really depends on policies of city charging infrastructure. Otherwise it depends on number of detached housing.

Asked a realtor friend of mine for a condo with parking garages and EV charging and he says there is none in Vancouver... I was quite speechless because we are supposed to be super green. But it Seems this is the norm everywhere.

Now I have a bit of envy for california and Norway and will be forced to buy a house and live outside of downtown to enjoy an EV life.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile and JustMe
The adoption really depends on policies of city charging infrastructure. Otherwise it depends on number of detached housing.

Asked a realtor friend of mine for a condo with parking garages and EV charging and he says there is none in Vancouver... I was quite speechless because we are supposed to be super green. But it Seems this is the norm everywhere.

Now I have a bit of envy for california and Norway and will be forced to buy a house and live outside of downtown to enjoy an EV life.
If you live in the West End, chances are good you don't even have a car.

I totally agree that condo owners should be finding ways to add EV infrastructure in parking garages. This is an important step for urban EV ownership at least until there is more of a self-driving robo-taxi model. In the mean time, urban superchargers can help fill the void. Looks like Vancouver has some options.
Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 12.20.46 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: X Fan
You're telling me that none of these have residential near them?

View attachment 481201

How about these?

View attachment 481202

These?

View attachment 481205
If you look at the map in the downtown area, the residential part (labeled West End) is where all the apartments are. The part next to it with all the charging places are businesses and office buildings. So yeah, there aren't any where the people actually live. Now probably greater than 50% of those living in the West End apartments don't even have a car.

If you look at the map in the downtown area, the residential part (labeled West End) is where all the apartments are. The part next to it with all the charging places are businesses and office buildings. So yeah, there aren't any where the people actually live. Now probably greater than 50% of those living in the West End apartments don't even have a car.

There are tons of condos for rent / sale near chargers on that map:

MLS Google Map | Condo In Vancouver

upload_2019-11-25_17-33-48.png

Scroll and zoom. Adjust your price limit as you see fit (I have no clue what your budget is).

Someone needs to direct your realtor friend to Plugshare (and remind her, "Zoom way in, or they'll truncate the list!").

Last edited:
Reactions: abasile
I totally agree that condo owners should be finding ways to add EV infrastructure in parking garages. This is an important step for urban EV ownership at least until there is more of a self-driving robo-taxi model. In the mean time, urban superchargers can help fill the void. Looks like Vancouver has some options.
View attachment 481198

Super charger helps.

The reason I am lamenting this is because I highly value my time. 45 minutes wasted is a big deal. The best use of ev with minimal lost time is having your own parking with charging where you live.

Public charger at a pay per hour garage or at hotel that blocks public access (which is what they are) is not the same as your own parking spot with charging at your condo tower with gated security. One waste your time one doesn't.

It's really starting to feel like you're just being lazy and making me do the work for you (and having to guess what suits you). For example, is your budget for a ~$700-800k place? Here, try this:

upload_2019-11-25_17-46-1.png

This place (red dot) is right near Diamond Parking

upload_2019-11-25_17-47-42.png

upload_2019-11-25_17-44-23.png

They have monthly plans:

upload_2019-11-25_17-44-53.png

This was literally my first guess. I could compile a list of dozens of them, but it'd all be pure guesswork about what your needs actually are are.

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-25_17-47-33.png
    upload_2019-11-25_17-47-33.png
    942.8 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: JusRelax
There are tons of condos for rent / sale near chargers on that map:

MLS Google Map | Condo In Vancouver

View attachment 481207

Scroll and zoom. Adjust your price limit as you see fit (I have no clue what your budget is).

Someone needs to direct your realtor friend to Plugshare (and remind her, "Zoom way in, or they'll truncate the list!").

BTW if you call those condo for rent, you'll find out that they only rent to foreign students. Or when you show up, it's a roomful of other renters that has to bid on it.

Reactions: jerry33
BTW if you call those condo for rent, you'll find out that they only rent to foreign students. Or when you show up, it's a roomful of other renters that has to bid on it.

Foreign students rent $700-800k downtown condos like the one above?

Please stop playing games and tell me what your actual needs are, because right now it just feels like you're trying to make excuses.

ED: I take that back. Don't bother. It's clear you've already made up your mind that you don't want to own an EV. If you actually cared, you'd be doing this, not me.

In Vancouver they do. And those condos are small. The reality in Vancouver is that when Hong Kong was handed back to the Chinese government, every person who could moved, many moved to Vancouver. This shot the housing prices sky high and they haven't come down since. The reason is that there is not much available land to build on. The west is ocean. The south is the border. The north is mountains. The east (and some south) is reserved farmland that can't be built on.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster and humbaba

Please stop playing games and tell me what your actual needs are, because right now it just feels like you're trying to make excuses.

You understand those are all kids of multimillionairs?

Like I said, condo tower with parking gargae that has ev plug. If local realtors says there is none, I tend to trust them.

Not playing games since I already plan to buy a house. But if I am encountering this, it's a major detriment to ev adoption.

Edit: I actually spent several years trying to make this work ever since I put fown a deposit. The things I am telling you are stuff i actually bumped into. Just because google says there is a parking spot nearby doesn't mean it is easy for adoption.

Take the public spot with charging for example. There are usually only 2 spots. And there are none in the monthly spots. To get the charging you have to get your car into the daily parking spot and pay to park, pay to charge. Wait 4 hours, hopefully you don't have to go to work and then come back and pick up your car. Overnight parking? Prepare to have your windows smashed. Mine was smashed in a gated, security patrolled and camera secured public parking within 3 months. I don't think it will take a week for this to happen in unsecured public parking.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry33

From the article:

Actually, I did read the article but I missed that sentence. However, it doesn't change my initial analysis that it was written and published to keep people ignorant and delay the transition to electric cars. So while it was mentioned that 85% of people charge at home, that was immediately followed by; "To that end, more partnerships with companies that will install the chargers in consumers' homes conveniently and affordably will be a boon for both buyers and sellers." This makes people believe they are going to have trouble finding a "company" that would be willing to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet (or heaven forbid) a HPWC or that it would cost an inordinate amount of money (in most cases it's very straightforward and any licensed electrician can do it with no help or advice from the homeowner.

Here are more quotes designed to keep ICE drivers in their smug and comfortable bubble until it's painfully obvious they had been misled:

Looking forward, we think electric vehicle propulsion systems will achieve cost parity with internal combustion engines within a decade, probably sooner, and will only get better after that, driving sticker prices down and widening the appeal to the average consumer.

EV's have cost parity now once the total cost of ownership and operation is considered over a 10-year ownership period. But this gives consumers all the reason they need to go buy another gas car with the thought that their *next* car can be electric (or perhaps the one after *that*).

For EVs to gain widespread acceptance, manufacturers, charging companies, industry groups and governments at all levels must work together to make public charging available in as many locations as possible. For example, we are seeing increased partnership activity between manufacturers and charging station companies, as well as construction companies that build large infrastructure projects, with the goal of adding thousands of additional public charging stations in the United States.

Notice the use of the phrase "construction companies that build large infrastructure projects" to make electric charging stations seem complicated and expensive. :eek:

Removing these barriers will lead to what I consider the ultimate key to widespread EV adoption — the emergence of the EV as a consumer's primary vehicle — not a single-purpose or secondary vehicle. That will happen when we as an industry are able to offer the utility, cost parity and convenience of today's internal combustion-based cars and trucks.

Obviously, EV's just aren't ready yet. :rolleyes:

To get the electric vehicle to first-string status, manufacturers simply must make it as good or better than the cars, trucks and crossovers most people are used to driving today.

You see? If you buy an EV today you are going to have a worse driving experience. Not only is the driving experience not better than an ICE vehicle, but it's still noticeably inferior. Keep driving your superior ICE vehicle smugly knowing that you are one of the smart motorists. :rolleyes:

I could go on and on about this short opinion piece written by GM's CEO but it's pretty obvious it was designed to be read by auto buyers, not the CEO's of other automakers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and humbaba
OT :

Like I said, condo tower with parking gargae that has ev plug. If local realtors says there is none, I tend to trust them.

Not plsying games since I already plan to buy a house. But if I am encountering this, it's a major detriment to ev adoption.
I can understand how difficult that would be. There will be a handful of charging stations for a few hundred condos. Ofcourse parking itself would be expensive.

You are basically competing for parking spots with people who drive downtown for work. In the place I park (in Seattle), it is $200 a month and has 5 charging stations. I see atleast 30 EVs parked during the day. What we need is - charging stations as part of parking - may be covering 25% of parking spots. Not a specialized spot for 2%.

Reactions: KJD and humbaba

Not playing games since I already plan to buy a house. But if I am encountering this, it's a major detriment to ev adoption.

Edit: I actually spent several years trying to make this work ever since I put fown a deposit. The things I am telling you are stuff i actually bumped into. Just because google says there is a parking spot nearby doesn't mean it is easy for adoption.

Take the public spot with charging for example. There are usually only 2 spots. And there are none in the monthly spots. To get the charging you have to get your car into the daily parking spot and pay to park, pay to charge. Wait 4 hours, hopefully you don't have to go to work and then come back and pick up your car. Overnight parking? Prepare to have your windows smashed. Mine was smashed in a gated, security patrolled and camera secured public parking within 3 months. I don't think it will take a week for this to happen in unsecured public parking.

Neither in California nor Norway, but I wouldn't tend to believe the local realtor. This is moving fast and the realtor may not know what everybody is doing in detail on an up-to-the-minute basis.

About a year ago, our condo building (a newish high-rise in an urban environment, but not a tower) facilitated the installation of chargers in our parking garage. $1,250 installation plus a share of the electricity used based on self-reported mileage. I doubt that information has been communicated widely among realtors, especially given that each parking spot is specific as to whether charging has been installed. There's an annual on-ramp for installation.

Last edited:
OT :

I can understand how difficult that would be. There will be a handful of charging stations for a few hundred condos. Ofcourse parking itself would be expensive.

You are basically competing for parking spots with people who drive downtown for work. In the place I park (in Seattle), it is $200 a month and has 5 charging stations. I see atleast 30 EVs parked during the day. What we need is - charging stations as part of parking - may be covering 25% of parking spots. Not a specialized spot for 2%.

Ya. I think i won't mind paying. It's just that everytime i get to a spot it's full. And you are not sure when it will be available so wasting hours sometimes.

I pay $350 for mine.

Asked a realtor friend of mine for a condo with parking garages and EV charging and he says there is none in Vancouver... I was quite speechless because we are supposed to be super green. But it Seems this is the norm everywhere

Ignorance.
Your friend (and you) didn't spend 21.4 seconds on google like I did:
EV Strata Condos

Looking to move to a building that has EV-charging? Search our map-based registry.

Ignorance.
Your friend (and you) didn't spend 21.4 seconds on google like I did:
EV Strata Condos

Ya if you take a look at the downtown listings. Most of these are the condos that began building after EV become popular and in the new expensive development area near Vancouver house (now you have to weigh the benefit of a 1mil+ condo with charging downtown vs 1.4mil+ house in the suburb where you can have your own garage). Most of those listed on the map before Model 3 adoption has 2 visitor parking with EV charging only (with no units for sale if you check MLS). Not the dedicated parking assigned to the unit. This is consistent to what my realtor friend said, some of the new ones that are completing has ev charging... "HOWEVER", these are mostly Valet parking (and one group, ONNI has decided exclusively on this model for future condos). i.e. they will charge it for you and rotate between other residents and it is not dedicated to you.

I do see 2 buildings that actually currently have units on sale, but the EV charging situation is not clear based on the description.( WIll give them a call). This map is a great help, but not relevant until the condos that finish construction in 2021 comes on line (with the first unit begin selling on dec 1st)

Again, just because a map search says there are spots, doesn't mean there are for unit holders. It's easy to show virtual proof with a map and say "AHA gotcha", but on the ground situation is always more complicated than what you see on a digital map.

What would be better is if a map contains condos that allows unit holder's installation of EV charging, not just maps that has 1~2 charging spots available. According to my realtor friend, the current road block for installation on older condo buildings is that the strata doesn't want to spend money to drill holes and pull wiring into their garage. He claims the cost per installation is 30k. I am a bit skeptical of that number, but it is the only hard number I have to work with so far.

Easiest way is to get Right to charge approved in Vancouver.

Reactions: SmartElectric