Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV charging at Florida Campgrounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
There also seems to be about a dozen campgrounds in Naples. Most should have a 50A hookup. If you need an hour or two of charge. I have a feeling that most of Florida is going to be this way. Lots of RVs and people vacationing year round.

Because KOA is easy to find.
Naples / Marco Island KOA | Camping in Florida | KOA Campgrounds

Not too sure how close it is to the event.

Good suggestion, but it will take some research to find those locations that are ameniable. Many of the RV parks in this area are exclusive gated community resorts. I did reach out to two of them and never received the courtesy of a response.

The KOA may not be a problem. It's about 9 miles South of the event towards Marco Island.

Larry

Good suggestion, but it will take some research to find those locations that are ameniable. Many of the RV parks in this area are exclusive gated community resorts. I did reach out to two of them and never received the courtesy of a response.

The KOA may not be a problem. It's about 9 miles South of the event towards Marco Island.

Larry
Larry, when you think about it, campgrounds would make good charging stops for EV owners. They likely will always have some plugs available and it would be a fun environment to discuss the Model S with folks at the campsites. Is there another thread regarding campground charging? Somehow we need to make the industry aware of EVs seeking electrons.

Larry, when you think about it, campgrounds would make good charging stops for EV owners. They likely will always have some plugs available and it would be a fun environment to discuss the Model S with folks at the campsites. Is there another thread regarding campground charging? Somehow we need to make the industry aware of EVs seeking electrons.

Hi Steve,

To the best of my knowledge we don't have a Florida campground charging thread.

We should start one when we have an actual experience, good or bad, to report.

Club member Arthur took a trip to Louisianna and stopped at some RV parks. I'll see if I can find more information and start a thread.

Larry

I carved this out as a new thread and it's a good place to share local experiences given the relatively high density of RV parks in Florida.

Most RV parks are amenable; smaller and more rural ones will tend to let you charge for a small cash donation. Most campgrounds require that spots are vacated by 10.00am or 11.00am and new entrants are usually after 1.00pm or 2.00pm so lunchtimes are a good time to find an available spot. However do note that in season many of the parks are full and they might have trouble finding you a spot.

Tropical Palms in Kissimmee told me they would try to accommodate EV owners plugging in for an hour or two. It's a short walk to restaurants and Old Town Kissimmee.

In my set of Tesla-related apps on my phone I have the "Allstays" Camp and RV app. It's great because you can filter on 50A charging. One thing I've noted is that many of the campgrounds in Florida say "50+", meaning age-restricted. It's not really surprising...Has anyone here who is under 50 had any success in getting one of those parks to allow you to charge?

Thanks for the tip! The app looks awesome. At $9.99 though, I think I will wait until I really need to plan around campground access.
At current, the Tesla related apps I have handy are: Tesla, ChargePoint, PlugShare, Recargo, Tapatalk 2 (forum reader)