TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EV charging at Florida Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Larry Chanin, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Good suggestion, but it will take some research to find those locations that are ameniable. Many of the RV parks in this area are exclusive gated community resorts. I did reach out to two of them and never received the courtesy of a response.

The KOA may not be a problem. It's about 9 miles South of the event towards Marco Island.

Larry

2. ClearwaterBchSteve

ClearwaterBchSteve P445 / VIN 1794

Larry, when you think about it, campgrounds would make good charging stops for EV owners. They likely will always have some plugs available and it would be a fun environment to discuss the Model S with folks at the campsites. Is there another thread regarding campground charging? Somehow we need to make the industry aware of EVs seeking electrons.

3. Larry Chanin

Hi Steve,

To the best of my knowledge we don't have a Florida campground charging thread.

We should start one when we have an actual experience, good or bad, to report.

Club member Arthur took a trip to Louisianna and stopped at some RV parks. I'll see if I can find more information and start a thread.

Larry

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I carved this out as a new thread and it's a good place to share local experiences given the relatively high density of RV parks in Florida.

Most RV parks are amenable; smaller and more rural ones will tend to let you charge for a small cash donation. Most campgrounds require that spots are vacated by 10.00am or 11.00am and new entrants are usually after 1.00pm or 2.00pm so lunchtimes are a good time to find an available spot. However do note that in season many of the parks are full and they might have trouble finding you a spot.

Tropical Palms in Kissimmee told me they would try to accommodate EV owners plugging in for an hour or two. It's a short walk to restaurants and Old Town Kissimmee.

5. Larry Chanin

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for setting up this thread.

Larry

6. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

In my set of Tesla-related apps on my phone I have the "Allstays" Camp and RV app. It's great because you can filter on 50A charging. One thing I've noted is that many of the campgrounds in Florida say "50+", meaning age-restricted. It's not really surprising...Has anyone here who is under 50 had any success in getting one of those parks to allow you to charge?

7. TampaLiam

TampaLiam Secret Agent

Thanks for the tip! The app looks awesome. At $9.99 though, I think I will wait until I really need to plan around campground access.
    At current, the Tesla related apps I have handy are: Tesla, ChargePoint, PlugShare, Recargo, Tapatalk 2 (forum reader)

8. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Does the Tesla app show charging locations??

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

No.