Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charging Expansion and Voltage Limitations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
How would that even work? There's 277v HPWC out there. What would happen if a 3 connected to one? It's not like the owner would know it's 277v....
Model 3 does not work with 277v HPWC. It's probably the primary reason Tesla stopped officially supporting 277v installs even though they still work fine for S & X.

Well, for S & X they work fine as long as there isn't a voltage spike, the internal chargers on S & X will fault out if they go above 283v, and apparently require a service visit to reset them. Not much wiggle room from 277v to pop over 283v. Lots of headroom for 240v installs though.

I charge my 3 at 269/270 at work all the time...(well, since I got it last Tuesday, anyway!)

Attachments

• charging.jpg
    charging.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: nwdiver
Replied to the other thread... its a 277 volt circuit that I assume has some normal wiring losses as it gets to the parking lot and through the 24 foot HPWC wire.
Well in that case this is very interesting. It came from Tesla that the Model 3 did not support 277v charging, but clearly yours does, so perhaps something has recently changed with the internal charger? When was your 3 built?

The plot thickens!

/edit. Continuing discussion on this over in this thread.

Well in that case this is very interesting. It came from Tesla that the Model 3 did not support 277v charging, but clearly yours does, so perhaps something has recently changed with the internal charger? When was your 3 built?

The plot thickens!

I thought it was fairly clear from the info collected in the various threads - the Model 3 has a maximum operating voltage that's somewhere in the middle of the range of voltages to be expected on a standard 277V circuit. Hence if you get lucky it will charge, but as it doesn't work across the whole of the standard range Tesla has to say it's not supported.