Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charging in Maine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made it to Auburn with 38 miles rated from East Greenwich (with a quick dinner stop and charge in MA that added maybe 20 miles rated).

Plugged in at Lee Nissan. Already at 220 rated. Headed to Augusta to see family, then Belgrade and then Lewiston for my Bates reunion.

Despite the lack of chargers this has, so far, been easy as pie.

Made it to Auburn with 38 miles rated from East Greenwich (with a quick dinner stop and charge in MA that added maybe 20 miles rated).

Plugged in at Lee Nissan. Already at 220 rated. Headed to Augusta to see family, then Belgrade and then Lewiston for my Bates reunion.

Despite the lack of chargers this has, so far, been easy as pie.

Glad your wife agreed. Enjoy the trip.

For anyone heading a little farther north than Augusta, the Central Maine GM dealership in Waterville has a charger. I don't know what charger, what speed and how competitor-friendly they are but it should be free most of the time. I believe there are only a couple of Volts in that area and one of them is owned by the Volt tech at the dealership.

Shame I missed a chance at a rare Model S sighting.

Back on CT. Lee Nissan was amazing when we were in Auburn. We went to see family in Augusta, and got a very chilly reception at the Nissan up there.

Got stopped constantly when we were out and about with people asking about the car. My wife got asked out in Lewiston... Not sure how I feel about that one. The guy said "ant girl who drives a Tesla is a girl I need to buy dinner." I asked if I could join and he backed off.

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of plug did you find there? J1772? Sounds like you picked up 180 miles quickly. Was that DC quick charge? CHAdeMO? Did they have a Tesla adapter?
Thanks for any insights in what to expect at Nissan dealers.

J1772 at 200v and 30amps. However it looked like it peaked at 35 amps (the car said 210/35 last night via the app).

Good news -- I talked to the owner of the Fore Street Garage (Portland) today, and they energized the EV chargers two days ago.

Better news -- each of the two spots has:
(a) 80A J1772
(b) CHAdeMO

The owner said that, once Tesla Motors releases the CHAdeMO converter, he's going to buy one and have it available on loan at the booth.

Good news -- I talked to the owner of the Fore Street Garage (Portland) today, and they energized the EV chargers two days ago.

(a) 80A J1772
(b) CHAdeMO

The owner said that, once Tesla Motors releases the CHAdeMO converter, he's going to buy one and have it available on loan at the booth.

He is a wonderfully enlightened garage owner. Do you know what inspired him? If I ever make it "down east" with my MS, I will have to give him some business.

Plugshare: Fore Street Garage | Portland, ME | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

(a) 80A J1772
(b) CHAdeMO

I may be heading through Portland on Thur or Fri this week on my way to Searsport. You mentioned two spots but Plugshare makes it look like there's only one J1772 charging station. Is that correct? Does anybody know how often this is used? Are there any other HPWC or 70/80A chargers in the Portland area that I can plan as a backup? If I have to wait long or charge at 30A then it won't be worth it.

I may be heading through Portland on Thur or Fri this week on my way to Searsport. You mentioned two spots but Plugshare makes it look like there's only one J1772 charging station. Is that correct? Does anybody know how often this is used? Are there any other HPWC or 70/80A chargers in the Portland area that I can plan as a backup? If I have to wait long or charge at 30A then it won't be worth it.

Based on my experience there a few weeks ago there is one 80A J1772 and one CHAdeMO. I don't have the dual chargers so I was not tracking other 80A service, but I know there's one at the Mt. Washington Visitor's Center in NH.

This is the only 80A public J1772 in the state, as far as I know. The garage owner and I are having lunch on Monday; we've been kicking around the idea of using the valet parking guys at the adjacent hotel (which he also owns) to also act as "EValets" for that spot, moving cars and/or the plug to keep everyone charging. The original idea was just about my car (which I leave there regularly); I might leave a key with the hotel valet desk, and they could move my car as needed to clear the spot. (Currently the parking attendant knows how to reach me if someone needs the spot. Hasn't been needed yet, although once the reverse was true: I left my business card on the Model S that was charging, and got a call after it was done.) If anyone's got an idea about how to use the valet and/or attendant to keep that space in optimal use, let me know or share it here.

(a) 80A J1772
(b) CHAdeMO

I used this charger last weekend and was impressed with the knowledge the attendant had regarding evs. He even grabbed the cord and had it ready for me when I got out of the car. Additionally, I was witness to a conversation a new I3 owner was having where she was convinced my car should be in the CHAdeMO while her car should be in the J1772. The attendant politely informed her that Teslas cannot use CHAdeMO and since I was out of state, she would have to wait. Also took the opportunity while in ME to look at the Mercedes B-Class. Wife approves.