Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ev charging in the next 1-2 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening all.

Bit of a stalker of this forum, and like most have 2 Tesla’s on order M3 and MY both due aug- nov :)

I’ve been seeing a lot of ev brands lately starting to ship to Australia. I can only imagine what it is going to be like within the next 2 years.

My question is, how fast will the rollout of new ev chargers be? I know the arena package I think it’s called, but surely that’s not enough for the amount of EV cars that will be on the road.

It’d almost like we will need ev chargers at every servo, fast food and on most highways.

How do you think the landscape will change over the next 12-24 months?

Reactions: Gayle S
Good evening all.

Bit of a stalker of this forum, and like most have 2 Tesla’s on order M3 and MY both due aug- nov :)

I’ve been seeing a lot of ev brands lately starting to ship to Australia. I can only imagine what it is going to be like within the next 2 years.

My question is, how fast will the rollout of new ev chargers be? I know the arena package I think it’s called, but surely that’s not enough for the amount of EV cars that will be on the road.

It’d almost like we will need ev chargers at every servo, fast food and on most highways.

How do you think the landscape will change over the next 12-24 months?
Unlike petrol cars, you can fill an ev at home or at work with nothing more than a powerpoint. You cannot therefore use petrol car thinking in imagining the numbers of chargers required. Many EV’s will simply never use a public station.

Unlike petrol cars, you can fill an ev at home or at work with nothing more than a powerpoint. You cannot therefore use petrol car thinking in imagining the numbers of chargers required. Many EV’s will simply never use a public station.
I agree with you... but I guess at some point, the servos will have to transition to EV chargers or close down as the demand for petrol / diesel falls ....
I suppose that could still be a loooong time away

There will undoubtedly be a lot more chargers..
But equally a lot more demand.

Most of the programs are multi-year.
SAs was first announced in late 2020 and is still yet to see a charger (hopefully soon)
Evie is only about half way through its Arena funded 350kW project, but has rolled out Vic CTR very quickly in comparison.

Think my greatest concern at some chargers is likely queues when there is only 1or 2 cables per site, and no guarantee that the next one will be any better.

Tesla network on the whole is better as they have over-developed to start with and its only now that the number of cars is starting to match.

Reactions: Maximillan

I'm more concerned not about the availability of chargers, but how the grid is going to handle all those chargers in the future. Yea, I see you are not in the USA, yet no matter where you are, its likely to be an issue in years to come if the infrastructure is not improved, or more people help somewhat by going solar. What I think about each time I charge my car at a supercharger is that it is drawing about the same amount of power that supplies more than 50 average homes in my neighborhood. Then imagine millions of such EVs out there.

Reactions: T-Mom and FlyF4
Here's a rough idea:

1655424484784.png

I'm more concerned not about the availability of chargers, but how the grid is going to handle all those chargers in the future. Yea, I see you are not in the USA, yet no matter where you are, its likely to be an issue in years to come if the infrastructure is not improved, or more people help somewhat by going solar. What I think about each time I charge my car at a supercharger is that it is drawing about the same amount of power that supplies more than 50 average homes in my neighborhood. Then imagine millions of such EVs out there.
It is an important point. One of the local providers, ChargeFox, is load balancing by having batteries at some of their sites to smooth out power draw. Australian electricity is still a lot cheaper than fuel, so while prices may be high I am still better off even at 60c local per KWh.

The point is made elsewhere that we mostly charge our cars at home at slow (and cheap) rates, but I agree that by the time most of the fleet is electric then absolute demand for high power charging will be significant and the grid will need sorting out.

Here's a rough idea:

That doesn’t seem to cover the NSW Government’s $171M plan for EV chargers over the next 3 years, which is estimated to deliver around 1000 DCFCs as well as destination/venue charging and kerb-side charging.

The results of the first grant round should be announced soon - between 27 June and 15 July 2022.

That doesn’t seem to cover the NSW Government’s $171M plan for EV chargers over the next 3 years,
Ahh. knew I missed some!

Not sure why I wasn't thinking of them... I don't think specific locations have been confirmed so I may have filtered those ones out for now.

I also haven't included "generic" standalone Chargefox and Evie stations, which aren't part of any larger network plans... so it's hard to count exactly how many there are, and can't really call them "complete" either as there will always be the odd new one popping up.

Also haven't included plans from BP, Shell, etc. which have been mentioned in passing but nothing concrete.

in SA we often have too much solar during the day, so EV charging by any method actually helps the grid. The world just needs to increase renewables and encourage daytime charging.

Don't worry about the grid, that's not your problem.

Like the Dan Murphy's at Batemans Bay, and the infamous Albury Rubbish Tip Charger
Lots of random ones around.

This this week at Bunnings Caringbah (southern Shire Sydney, very close to Tesla Miranda)

Single stall so don't think any Govt program.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
With the recent support from multiple State Governments and the recent change in federal politics I am more hopeful than a few months ago. I would still avoid long trips requiring a DC quick charge on high traffic days like Boxing Day and ends of long weekends and holidays.