Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ev charging in the next 1-2 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the Dan Murphy's at Batemans Bay, and the infamous Albury Rubbish Tip Charger?

What about the BioFil ones across the Nullarbor, though?
Yeah, I don't know why the "Tip Charger" network never took off!

BioFil is a possibility, it's only really the one at Caiguna so far, and it's quite possible the additionally 4 Nullarbor locations on the WA Electric Highway plan will negate the need for any more.

I don't worry about it because I will be dead. The younger generation will have to deal with it. I have to consult for a utility, so yes, it is becoming a problem. :)
The population of the US has gone up 100,000,000 in the past 30 years. The grid coped with that.
Humans are good at solving problems, don't worry it's gonna be fine.

How are they doing it - do charging operators bid for individual sites, regions, the entire network etc? (i.e. will they all be one operator or a mix?)

Seems you didn‘t read this thread 😄 It’s up to the applicants to propose the sites. I expect it will be a mix of operators.

Site host prospectus: here

The requirements for fast charging operators: here

PDF of the application and funding guidelines was here but it seems removed now Round 1 is closed. I did download a copy at the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
The requirements for fast charging operators: here

I’ve not seen them before.

Some good requirements.

- minimum 4 concurrent plugs
- standard eftpos payment
- provision of some sort of online availability api

I like the eftpos requirement, although it would be good if they still had a method of sending a receipt without signing up to dozens of apps. Maybe the opal requirement covers that.

Reactions: Vostok
The point is even more applicable to Australia, our population has grown twice as fast as the US in the past 30 years and the grid has grown to meet the demand.

The generation capacity of the Australian power grid has increased by between 3% and 4% every year over the past 5 years. Almost all of this is due to the addition of renewable generation capacity. Australia’s population growth is about 1.2% per year.

The government is talking up putting $XXXm into EV charging infrastructure but I wonder if they are taking informed advice from those that know? (Rhetorical question, I suppose....)
There's a huge difference between effectively subsidising individual households who can't or won't install home chargers - which as we all know make the EV revolution viable since nighttime charging is the ideal - and providing "road trip" charging availability.
I fear that they will think that placing a couple of fast chargers in hundreds of sites is going to help - it won't. What is required is - like Tesla's supercharger network - strategically placed multi-outlet sites so that one can be reasonably assured when travelling long distance that you won't be delayed just by waiting for a vacant plug. Even today a minimum of six chargers is the bare minimum: far more use than one or two a few Km apart.

Of course, without equivalent storage capacity generation capacity isn’t a useful metric.

That’s not the case. While this is complicated stuff due to the statistics involved, it turns out that a large enough collection of widely distributed renewable generation has statistically fairly predictable outputs, and the statistical deviations from expectation get smaller the more distributed renewables you add.

Which means that storage capacity does not need to match generation capacity.

The reason for this is the periods of time when a renewable grid underperforms reduce in both depth and duration as the average renewable percentage goes up, and so the total amount of energy needed in storage decreases. You never have a time when output drops to 0%, and decreasing periods of time when it drops to 20%, 50%, 80% or whatever. And once that period of underperformance passes, it is followed by overperformance, and the storage (whatever it is) can be refilled fairly quickly.

Reactions: Big Earl and bay74
The government is talking up putting $XXXm into EV charging infrastructure but I wonder if they are taking informed advice from those that know? (Rhetorical question, I suppose....)

If you are talking about NSW, read the site host prospectus and requirements for fast charging operators (links in my earlier post #24). I reckon the plan has been pretty well thought out. The government is saying ‘here’s the framework’ and providing input data on traffic densities and regional priorities, and the experts (fast charging operators) say ’here’s how we can meet your objectives’.

The government is not dictating much, and what it is dictating is pretty good, e.g. minimum 4 concurrent plugs (increased to 8 in hotspots in this week’s State Budget), online availability API, backup AC charging… etc.

Reactions: Braz
I really want to see initiatives from grid companies to install EV chargers at a discount, or free, provided they go onto Controlled Load 2.

Controlled Load 2 is usually energised, except between the hours of 7am-9am and 5pm-8pm on weekdays, and whenever the grid is struggling. It's something a sparky sets up once & the user doesn't have to care about or be educated about. And it's cheaper than standard power.

Or maybe maybe set up a hypothetical controlled load 3 - something with a greater discount for fewer hours per day - only energising when the grid is in a very healthy or an oversupply state.

Reactions: positiv
That’s not the case. While this is complicated stuff due to the statistics involved, it turns out that a large enough collection of widely distributed renewable generation has statistically fairly predictable outputs, and the statistical deviations from expectation get smaller the more distributed renewables you add.

Which means that storage capacity does not need to match generation capacity.

The reason for this is the periods of time when a renewable grid underperforms reduce in both depth and duration as the average renewable percentage goes up, and so the total amount of energy needed in storage decreases. You never have a time when output drops to 0%, and decreasing periods of time when it drops to 20%, 50%, 80% or whatever. And once that period of underperformance passes, it is followed by overperformance, and the storage (whatever it is) can be refilled fairly quickly.
You are of course correct: I should have made it clearer. What I meant to say is that generation capacity is one thing, delivery is another - and that sufficient storage to make the capacity actually usable is the critical thing.

Reactions: T-Mom and Vostok
If you are talking about NSW, read the site host prospectus and requirements for fast charging operators (links in my earlier post #24). I reckon the plan has been pretty well thought out. The government is saying ‘here’s the framework’ and providing input data on traffic densities and regional priorities, and the experts (fast charging operators) say ’here’s how we can meet your objectives’.

The government is not dictating much, and what it is dictating is pretty good, e.g. minimum 4 concurrent plugs (increased to 8 in hotspots in this week’s State Budget), online availability API, backup AC charging… etc.
Thanks - I missed the link and have downloaded the doc so will be informed next time!

I really want to see initiatives from grid companies to install EV chargers at a discount, or free, provided they go onto Controlled Load 2.

Controlled Load 2 is usually energised, except between the hours of 7am-9am and 5pm-8pm on weekdays, and whenever the grid is struggling. It's something a sparky sets up once & the user doesn't have to care about or be educated about. And it's cheaper than standard power.

Or maybe maybe set up a hypothetical controlled load 3 - something with a greater discount for fewer hours per day - only energising when the grid is in a very healthy or an oversupply state.
I was thinking the same thing. They should really incentivise EV charging on CL1 or CL2. That would prevent grid overload by allowing grid operators to disconnect EV chargers when the grid is struggling.

Unfortunately some energy operators take the opposite approach and refuse to allow EV charging on CL. It makes no sense.