TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EV Charging in Wichita, KS

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by breading, Sep 19, 2013.

1. breading

breading Member

I am planning a trip from Kansas City, MO to Wichita, KS the weekend after next. I am thinking about stopping at El Dorado State Park as they have 50 Amp outlets. But, it looks like the only charging options in Wichita are at the Westar Energy offices. Just wondering if anyone in the area knows of other options. In particular, do you know of any hotels in Wichita with EV charging?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Don't use PlugShare, it's got almost nothing and is practically useless in KS, NE, OK, etc. Use RV Parking instead. There are a ton of 50 amp RV parks in the area--just call first to confirm availability and have a couple of alternates just in case of a bad plug.

3. breading

breading Member

I see that there are some public chargers at the Westar Energy offices. Anyone had experience using those?

4. swaltner

swaltner Member

I've used the one at the Westar Office on Central once, just to test it out. It's right out front of the building. I believe it's limited to 30-amps. The big issue was they seem to park their EV van right in front of it, making access a little difficult.

The Nissan dealer might be another option. Their EVSEs are also limited to 30 amps and are only available during business hours.

There are a handful of people in town with Model S, at least one of them is here on the forums. I'll PM you their login.

What day are you needing a charge? If you can't find any other alternatives, I might be able to help out. Since I'm driving a Leaf and my power demands are fairly minimal, my EVSE is a 20-amp unit, which wouldn't help out very much. I could probably get a a 14-50 outlet wired up for you if you can't find any other options around town.