Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charging Protocol and Etiquette in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
This is a discussion from our Hawaii Tesla Owners thread from the April timeframe. I thought that with so many people recently getting their cars, it might be useful to get it back out in the sun separately now that we can easily add a thread. Even if its not useful, it couldn't hurt. If it helps one person, - that's good, that's what the forum if for.

A couple of weeks ago, I was reading old threads on TM. I saw a reference and link to Plug-In America and started opening up links. Soon I was connected to a EV charging website that talked about a variety of EV related subjects. One was about EV Charging Etiquette. (What in the world is that?) Its voluntary guidelines for EV charging courtesy among EV owners. I found some interesting reading and something called a EV Charging Protocol card that you would put in your car's window to explain you situation or intent.

I took the idea of an EV Protocol Charging Card and put a Hawaiian twist on it. I had some 4" x 5.5" postcards made up to use in my back window. I had some extras made too. I left most of my extras out at the SC with Barry to give out to the folks that want a couple. I ask you to take only 2 or 3 so there's some for others, if you don't mind. Here's what it looks like if you want to see it.

There are other versions of this card in the wild. Some use a paperclip and help with showing the time. That's a good idea. My thinking on this one was to put a piece of Scotch tape on the "this time' line and use a erasable Magic Marker and wipe the time off when done. The back side of this card has some TM and Service Center info on it.

We've recently learned that Sen Mike Garrard has an EV - a Leaf. Maybe we have an ally in the Senate? If anyone has any influence with him, it would be great if someone could use that to communicate with him that maybe it's time for Hawaii to enact some rules or Hawaii Statute to discourage ICE owners from parking in EV Charging station spaces. A few people have had to deal with this and there's insufficient incentive (maybe a fine issued by HPD) to discourage this practice.

I read on the TM forum that some brave souls had used their MS to block the ICE car for parking in the EV Charging space. I would not dream of doing that and risk someone damaging an MS in anger. On the TM forum, this practice of blocking an ICE has already been given a name. It's called "Musking". How clever. I think that's a hoot.

Comments?

EV_Card1.JPG

Last edited:
I printed a nice little label with my cell phone number. Then I placed the label inside the charge door on both our Leaf and Volt. I also use the plug-share app on my iPhone. I always make sure to "check in" at the station and list how long I plan to be there. If people bother to open plug-share, they'll see who I am and any relevant info. They can also contact me through that app.

6863698856_4935ab8bd8.jpg

Last edited:
I am very much a proponent of leaving a cell number, but in the hustle to get to the lunch spot while supercharging, there are times I forget. Having it on the inside of the charge door is a great idea, only visible when charging, and nothing to remember. I'm going to have to try it and see how it works.

Thanks!