Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charging Signage @ Interstate Exits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've already seen them in some places. The ones I've seen look like a fuel pump with "EV" written on them.
I've definitely seen the same thing for highway service areas with EV charging. I don't recall if I've seen that for exits with nearby charging. I've seen this mostly in New England (especially Connecticut) and New York, but maybe in Pennsylvania and/or Ohio.

Do we really need that in 2022 when anyone with a car is going to have a smart phone?
Yes. I don't want to be messing with PlugShare while I'm driving, and I don't want somebody else on the road to be doing so while I'm driving near them, either. Using Tesla's built-in navigation is better than using PlugShare, but it's still a distraction, and it doesn't show non-Tesla charging locations unless you've charged there yourself in the past. Of course, if you're traveling with somebody, then that somebody could be checking PlugShare while you're driving (or vice-versa), but that's not always the case, and we shouldn't be building public infrastructure based on such an assumption.

My current gripe with the signage I've seen is that it doesn't distinguish between Tesla, CCS, and CHAdeMO charging. (I expect that the highways signage doesn't go up merely for J1772 EVSEs.) That's still an important distinction, although it might not be in a few years.

Upvote 0
Fair comment on not wanting to be messing with the phone while driving, but is anyone on a road trip in an EV just driving down the highway and waiting until they see a charging station to pull over and charge? Or even in the phone case, just driving along and deciding they are getting low on charge so "hey, maybe I better check Plugshare to see if there is charging around here"?

I mean don't EV drivers on a trip already aware of where they are going to stop because their car (or app they started before they started the trip) is telling them where to stop?

Upvote 0
Fair comment on not wanting to be messing with the phone while driving, but is anyone on a road trip in an EV just driving down the highway and waiting until they see a charging station to pull over and charge? Or even in the phone case, just driving along and deciding they are getting low on charge so "hey, maybe I better check Plugshare to see if there is charging around here"?

I mean don't EV drivers on a trip already aware of where they are going to stop because their car (or app they started before they started the trip) is telling them where to stop?
I expect that most experienced EV drivers plan their stops before leaving the previous stop; however:
  • This is foreign behavior for non-EV drivers, so new EV drivers might not think to do this, or might simply not want to do it. As EV charging becomes more common, signage like this should help such drivers who don't want (or know) to mess with an app.
  • Sometimes the car's GoM does get it wrong; or a driver might have a need to stop earlier than planned (full bladder, kid gets nauseous in the back seat, etc.). In these cases, signage identifying where there's EV charging may be quite valuable.

Reactions: RTPEV
Upvote 0
Here's hoping that vehicles' nav systems incorporate the "Alternatives" feature from ABRP that can dynamically give you alternative stops if you feel like stopping earlier than planned, and also recalculate recommended stops to avoid bad range estimates.

For the nauseous kid, however, I'm not necessarily waiting for the next exit even!

Reactions: srs5694
Upvote 0