Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV charging stations that use renewable energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I'm about to get my first electric car, MS 60, this week and was wondering if anyone has a list of charging stations that use renewable energy.

I had a discussion at work with some coworkers about reducing carbon footprint. And one of the things that came up was even though we drive electric cars where does the electricity that we use to charge them come from? I'm from Northern California and PG&E is our utility provider at home. A portion of the electricity they provide us comes from renewable energy, I think I read around 30%. There's an electricity provider in our county that just started offering 50% or 100% renewable energy generation depending on which one someone signs up for. They provide energy generation and PG&E provides transmission.

I can use that at home but what about outside? Anybody have any suggestions on charging stations that use renewable energy?

It really doesn't matter in the big picture. If someone is connecting a solar panel and using that electricity, this exact amount of energy is not drawn from 'dirty sources'. It doesn't matter where the energy is produced and used, it always saves the environment by not using a polluting source. From a strictly environmental point of view, you can install solar panels anywhere you want. They don't have to be on your home roof to make a difference.

Invent money in a renewable energy project and you are fine.

Reactions: mblakele
Many times those providers offering you alternate clean energy is just buying carbon credits. You cant control which electrons go towards your house vs your neighbor paying for standard power. If you care that much about your own personal clean energy, invest in solar panels and battery packs. PG&E has a large actual CLEAN energy production rather than carbon credit imports. 59% clean energy production in 2015 and rising every year. They also now offer those similar junk programs where you can pay more to subsidize solar production to feel like you are only using renewable electrons.
https://www.pge.com/en_US/about-pge...-energy-solutions/clean-energy-solutions.page