Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Comparator - Feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
Hi everyone! I've been working on a comparator for "affordable next-generation EVs" (well, at least where the base model is "affordable" ;) ). Right now, it's only a datasheet, but once I feel the data has been sufficiently validated, I plan to make it so people can select their location, add packages, etc and compare vehicles side by side:

Electric Vehicle Comparator

(I'll also use it to make a bunch of graphs for "at a glance" comparisons).

For those of you with experience with other EVs, can you be bothered to glance over the data and see if it matches with your experience? Definitely note also if certain options are only available in certain markets but not others, and the like!

• Informative
Reactions: Rytis and jrmnet
Lots of data here, and you've obviously put a lot of time into it. As a Tesla owner, it pleases me to see that my choice seems to be a good one.

What interests me is your idea that anything over $35,000 or so is not affordable. Twelve years ago I saw my first Tesla and started reading about everything they were doing. A few years later I plunked down $40,000 to hold a Model S for me when they got them built -- they didn't even have a drawing yet. The down payment came from buying a RAV4EV, which cost, in 2002, about what you think is an affordable price today, and when I sold it at double what I paid for it, it went to Tesla. It was still years before Tesla would have a car.

Affordable means you can pay for something, right? I did not have to take out a loan or sell my house or children. I just planned ahead. I didn't have the money when I first heard about Tesla, but I began planning, worked past retirement, didn't buy unnecessary junk, drove one car, and I bought my first Tesla, one of the first Teslas made, for cash. So, was it affordable? Seems it was. And today's Model S is still affordable. It's just planning for it, like everything worth while in life.

So, now we have two.

At the same time I've gotten complaints that some of the cars on this list aren't affordable (for example, a fully optioned out Model 3). Getting complaints from both sides of the spectrum is probably a pretty good sign. ;)

A Model S, X, I-Pace, E-Tron, Taycan, etc are outside of most people's budgets; I tried to keep it to options that the "middle class" could afford, as that's who's going to be buying the most EVs. Having to include expensive options would have been a lot of work for vehicles that not many would buy. I mean, I guess one could argue that S and X, despite their price, still have enough volume to be included, and it wouldn't be that hard to add them because their software stack is almost identical to the 3. But then people would demand the I-Pace, E-Tron, Taycan, etc.

Maybe later. :)

BTW, great job with timing concerning selling your RAV4EV. There was a time period where the prices on those things were just bonkers. :)