Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV courtesy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ever had their car disconnected at a charger by another EV car? I was at the Blaine 40/70 amp charger, had 24 miles of charge, and returned to have a note on my car saying "sorry ...". I'm a transporter, i need to catch a ferry. "Hope you don't mind". My tesla S connector was in the charge port and the cord was plugged into a Nissan Leaf. Like my time wasn't valuable. Has anyone ever had this happen. Am i just too sensitive?

Has anyone ever had their car disconnected at a charger by another EV car? I was at the Blaine 40/70 amp charger, had 24 miles of charge, and returned to have a note on my car saying "sorry ...". I'm a transporter, i need to catch a ferry. "Hope you don't mind". My tesla S connector was in the charge port and the cord was plugged into a Nissan Leaf. Like my time wasn't valuable. Has anyone ever had this happen. Am i just too sensitive?

I haven't had it happen to me yet, but it does sound irritating. Especially given that there are level 2 chargers 7 miles away at the Custer rest station. The LEAF doesn't benefit from the 70 amp HPC like the Tesla can. I agree with Discoducky...a lock would be a good thing to consider. I'm also going to draft up some cards with my cell number on them to put on the dash requesting people call me if they need to unplug me. It is understandable if they are in a time crunch, but a reasonable effort to get in contact with the owner of the vehicle plugged in isn't too much to ask.

People have come up w/charging protocol cards like EV Charging Protocol.

That said, I've seen complaints on various Facebook groups (mostly Leaf groups and IIRC, maybe even some on the BMW ActiveE group) where they found Tesla Model S cars blocking EV charging spots w/o actively charging.

In another case (definitely on a Leaf group), they there was a Fisker (and possibly a Model S too) blocking a CHAdeMO DC fast charger. No Teslas can use those yet and definitely not the Fisker either.

Please don't do the above!

Last edited:
That was extremely unreasonable behavior on the Leaf owner's part. Is that charger not set up to text you with status change? I know the Blink ones can. At least then you could have a discussion with the individual.

That's a bummer. Hasn't happened to me, fortunately.

The problem is that anybody arriving after you has no idea when you will return, or if you even need the charge. I know this wasn't true in your case, but as we've seen on these forums, many people plug in just for fun when they don't need a charge; and the cars are often left for hours - so that's why the second car doesn't know what's going on. Some cars have indicators that help, but on the Tesla there is no indication on the car of how low the battery is, or whether it's even charging at all - plus you don't know how far the owner is going. There is just no way for the new arrival to tell without some hints from you.

It was not courteous for them to unplug you and I don't recommend people do that; but it's also not courteous for us to tie up a scarce and critical resource for an indeterminate amount of time so that other drivers have to guess about whether we need a charge or not - I'd sure hate to call a flatbed to take me to a charger far away and then find out the other car was done charging, or that they live 5 miles away and were just "testing" the charger. The only way to avoid this problem is to use a charging card so that other cars will know your situation. I always put up a card that says whether I need the charge or not, and I have my phone number on it. I highly doubt anybody would unplug you without calling the number first (though it's obviously still possible; just as people could siphon gas. It would be unpleasant to have it happen, but it's rare enough I'm not going to worry about it).

A lock is more secure, but I think this is better than a lock. Somebody might call and say they only need to charge for 15 minutes to be able to make it home or to another charger, for example, and I might want to tell them to go ahead. Not that anybody's ever called me (or unplugged me).

cwerdna posted a good card. A much simpler and easier-to-understand one is HERE, but perhaps that's too simple as you can't say when you will return (and/or when it's OK to unplug). At least they could call you. I've sometimes written my return time on another piece of paper.

You can also check plugshare.com (or use the app on your smartphone) to see if anyone has "checked in" at the station. This way it provides you not only with that person's estimated time of return, but often gives you a way to contact that person.

I've heard of Leaf drivers unplugging chevy volts before. I suspect those fall under two categories:
  • Those who believe the Volt doesn't "need" the charge, thus they can unplug them.
  • Those that don't understand how the Volt's single charge LED works and assume the car is finished charging because it has a solid light (when actually a blinking light means it is done)
I was not aware that the Tesla doesn't provide any sort of charge indicator. That is surprising.

I use THIS card. I like that I can show my phone number along with an indication of when it would be okay to unplug.

- - - Updated - - -

I was not aware that the Tesla doesn't provide any sort of charge indicator. That is surprising.

Tesla turns the charge port light off when the car is locked. The rationale I've heard is that they do this so as not to draw attention to the car. Seems counter intuitive to me as well. Other EVs display status lights not to mention just about every car alarm system has some kind of blinking light (that draws one's attention).

The pulsing of the charge port on the MS indicates how fully charged the battery is. Unfortunately, once the car has been off for some short time period, the pulsing light goes out, and I don't know whether it is possible to cause it to light up again without having the keyfob nearby.

I purchased one of the J-1772 locking disks, and if I definitely need a full charge, I will be using it with a little luggage tag attached that will provide my Cell number so someone can call me for details.

If I'm just taking advantage of a charge up, I'll leave the locking disk off but still have the tag so someone can call and ask about disconnecting first. I'd like that to become the standard courtesy action.