Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV drivers protest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Apple Daily today

車主下月慢駛遊行 抗議電動車欠支援 | 蘋果日報 | 要聞港聞 | 20171113

Slow drive protest organized by 香港電動車協會 (Electrify Hong Kong?) and perhaps involving Ted Hui Chi-fung, the LegCo Councillor from the Democratic Party, instead of our old friend Charles Mok. Anyone interested to join?

I am thinking of joining but as I am not familiar with the organizer, and from what I read in Facebook before, apparently there were lots of hidden agenda and conflicts among the Chinese EV clubs, is there anything I should be aware of in this case?

• Disagree
Reactions: danielwai and Vmax
We've discussed this before, and pretty much universally agreed that a parade of Teslas, making traffic congestion worse, is not going to get much sympathy from the general production.

In recent months there has been an upswing in favourable press coverage, and feedback from the general public, regarding electric vehicles in Hong Kong and our poor air quality. The EV community has been pushing similar messages, on several fronts, and progress has been made. Our point of view, and plan for the future of EVs in Hong Kong has been well received. IMHO, a Tesla parade would be counter-productive to all that hard work.

Reactions: ICON and Titus
We all know the limitation for EV charging in Hong Kong upfront. Why made such complaint after you gave up the convenient in gas cars?
More and more chargers have been built up in the malls these days. This "Slow drive parade" just get more cons than pros noise.

Reactions: Titus
We all know the limitation for EV charging in Hong Kong upfront. Why made such complaint after you gave up the convenient in gas cars?

A large number of EV owners here didn't know of the limitation. They were first time EV purchasers, without a charging facility at home/office. They were told by salesmen "it's ok - just public charge, for free" (and weren't told about the queues), by government "We're got 1,000+ public charging stations, for free" (and weren't told that most were 10A, and the government ones were pretty much always ICEd), and by charging networks "We'll help you install a charger in your home" (and weren't told that in 99% of the cases the BM/OC won't permit the install).

OK, I accept that is probably an exaggeration of the truth; but people hear what they want to hear.

The government is now falling back on the 'public charging is for convenience only, and should not be relied on' statement, but that is not what people's perception is, or what the message said a few years ago. They watch the SmartCharge ads show how easy EV charging installation is, and see the government touting '1,000+ public charging stations' (vs how many petrol stations?).

Have a look at the current government message here:

Promotion of Electric Vehicles in Hong Kong | Environmental Protection Department

FRT concessions, a HK$300 million fund, HK$180 million for buses, 11,000+ EVs on the road, 73 EV models from 8 countries, upgrades to medium chargers, private companies that provide one-stop EV charging service, 1,700+ public chargers, a support hotline, etc. It all sounds so positive and rosy. The reality, we know, is far from that.

And the saddest reality is that those 11,000 EVs make up <2% of the vehicles on the road. Just a small handful of commercial EVs (where the technology would make the most difference).

The situation with ICEing of EV charging facilities in government car parks has gone on far too long. Government parking is now pretty much the only place this goes on (as most other charging facilities have moved to a reserved for charging model), and Government consistently refuses to do anything about it. The installation of all those EVSEs, without the ability to use them, is quite simply a waste of public finances.

I'm protesting. I just don't think a bunch of Teslas driving slow through Central will send the right message.

I'm protesting. I just don't think a bunch of Teslas driving slow through Central will send the right message.

agreed.

not to piss on their bonfire, but a slow drive is EXACTLY how you lose support of those previously indifferent to the issue, which, is basically the majority of the general public. as if your everyday commute isn't stressful enough with the number of cars on the road and everyone gradually losing patience over the years and drive more aggressively, now you come across a slow drive parade... of EV's. it plays right into the hands of oil related money.

EDIT: upon further reading, the parade only goes a short way outside central as a demonstration, and shouldn't impact normal traffic too badly

Last edited:
A short slow drive protest will not have any affect. In fact, it could be seen as needlessly exacerbating the issue (crying about your first world problems etc).

No one here acts until the problem comes right up to one's face. (insert Chinese proverb about not shedding tears until seeing the coffin)
What really needs to happen is for air quality to become like Dehli or Beijing for anyone to start caring.
People like the status quo too much, any thing else is seen as rocking the boat and wasting time.

Thank you for the comments. I agree slow drive protest would not help.

They were first time EV purchasers, without a charging facility at home/office. They were told by salesmen "it's ok - just public charge, for free" (and weren't told about the queues)

This was exactly what I was told by Tesla staff, that public chargers in a shopping mall near my home will solve the charging problem, but having been to that shopping mall, I knew what he said was anything but the truth.

Another piece of story from local newspaper in case you have missed it:

https://www.am730.com.hk/news/新聞/【獨家】打壓電動車-政府計錯數-私家車續升-101507?google_editors_picks=true

本報從不同渠道獲悉,有汽油車商過去兩年發現豪華車客戶,紛紛轉買性能漸佳的電動車,令汽油車生意大受威脅,因此有兩大汽油車商約見政府官員施壓,要求政府平衡業內生態,否則就會勸籲總公司撤離香港。其中向政府施壓的理由,正是財政司長陳茂波後來公開說,認為購買電動車的人,都是只想多買一部車(second car),免稅的話只會令路面更擠塞。​

Two major car dealers claimed they would leave HK market if the govt did not raise EV FRT. I don't know why the govt would give in, as anyone who has a brain inside his head would know HK is a big market for luxury cars, no dealers would leave HK.

I just feel that we need to come up with something to help promote EV. This is perhaps not just for the environment, but fairness (ordinary car owners like us against the big ICE dealers).