Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV electricity plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done a comparison of the EV and night rate plans available these days? There seem to be a lot more offerings than there were a few years ago.

We've still got the meridian EV plan and it seems to be about the same for us as the contact good nights, depending on how much you think you can squeeze into the 3 free hours. The genesis EV plan seems to be slightly more, unless you use chargenet a lot. Has anyone found any new offerings to be significantly better than these? I do know that of course it varies by location. Unfortunately comparisons like powerswitch don't seem to include any of the EV plans.

What’s the daily charge though?

I’m in Wellington with Trustpower at the moment - I was part of their EV trial where they supplied and installed a 32A charger in my home for free. My rates are:

12c between 11pm to 7am
20c between 7am to 11pm
Daily charge of $1.80 per day.

I do all my car charging at night so it has worked out quite well.

I will look to shop around for rates once I come off this trial in a few months.

Reactions: Audietron
Crazy. We are also north shore and ecotricity is 22c/kwh for us! +2.11/day, inc gst. Are we talking about the "eco anytime" plan or something special?
Screenshot_20220922_120506_Kindle.jpg

This is most recent bill... north shore, Auckland.

I used to think it's plan, but it's 20 years price protection I received from solarzero (solarcity) as I am solar panel customer.

So it's special rate fixed for another 18 years 🤔 👍

Ah I see thanks. $0.08/kwh "energy" charges but also $0.1378/kwh "network" charges peak and $0.0603/kwh off peak. Add them up and it's ~0.21/kwh peak and ~0.14/kwh off peak, which is about what it shows me. So I think the difference is just in splitting the two charges vs quoting them together.

Reactions: Audietron
No, I meant the monthly subscription price paid to solarzero that gives you access to the preferential ecotricity rate.

Unless you own the solar system outright?
I own solar panel now... but when joined ecotricity via them, they added me to their group buy plan... so for 20 years price is fixed.

Ah I see thanks. $0.08/kwh "energy" charges but also $0.1378/kwh "network" charges peak and $0.0603/kwh off peak. Add them up and it's ~0.21/kwh peak and ~0.14/kwh off peak, which is about what it shows me. So I think the difference is just in splitting the two charges vs quoting them together.
You mean you don't pay network charges? and daily charges? only per unit?
I thought network charges were there for everyone regardless of usage. it's there with all providers to cover cost of maintaining infrastructure.... but if don't contribute to that network cost - you got best plan in New Zealand.

Reactions: m3lol