Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV electricity rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if National Grid offers any incentives to charge EVs at off peak hours or have TOU rates that make it worth it to sign up. So far, what little information I've found makes me think there's nothing available, but perhaps I haven't looked in the right places. It seems to me that the electric companies here in New England don't really offer any incentives like those in California and some other states.
Thanks !

When I looked last year TOU for residential customers was not an option at least for me, since my average monthly usage wasn't high enough especially since I already have a solar system in place.

National Grid - Time of Use
"Time-of-Use (R-4)This rate is available for all domestic purposes in an individual private dwelling or an individual apartment and for church and farm purposes. For customers requiring special and complex metering for service, the availability of this rate will be subject to the Company's ability to render such service. Any residential customer whose average usage exceeds 2,500 kWh/month for a 12 month period may elect to take service under this rate effective with installation of appropriate metering. Until service can be provided under this rate, the customer shall take service under Rate R-1. Some condominium associations are also eligible for this rate. "

Does anyone know if National Grid offers any incentives to charge EVs at off peak hours or have TOU rates that make it worth it to sign up. So far, what little information I've found makes me think there's nothing available, but perhaps I haven't looked in the right places. It seems to me that the electric companies here in New England don't really offer any incentives like those in California and some other states.
Thanks !
I have Eversource, but have experienced the same problem trying to find out any info regarding rate options. Eversource has a page dedicated to EV charging that has basically no useful information on it at all. Its pretty pathetic really. I always figured the MA legislature would be mandating rate options to encourage EV adoption, but apparently not.

[Slightly related rant], I'm also amazed regarding how expensive electricity is in general and how come people don't make more of a stink about it here. When I see someone in another part of the country say their electricity is $.12 a kWH, I'm always thinking is that the whole price? I think I pay that much just for transmission and distribution Then there is another 10.5 cents for the generation, so 22 cents total at the moment. I'm pretty sure Eversource is trying to get even more money for distribution this year (If they haven't already)
I just don't understand how they can justify a higher cost for transmission and distribution than what other parts of the country pay in total. Shouldn't those fixed costs be similar to other parts of the country?

I really need to go solar... if only my neighbors trees would mysteriously fall down.

[Slightly related rant], I just don't understand how they can justify a higher cost for transmission and distribution than what other parts of the country pay in total. Shouldn't those fixed costs be similar to other parts of the country?

That is the bane of living on the old North East, where old coal fired power plants and other decaying infrastructure conspire to produce electricity rates almost twice the US average. You definitely don't buy an electric car here because of the electric vs gas savings...