Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ev.energy app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeeves

Feb 12, 2020
UK
Been trying the ev.energy app for a few days.

It automatically splits your overnight charge into multiple scheduled sessions to minimise your carbon footprint using the Carbon Intensity API and reduce your costs too. The developers tell me that they optimise the schedule for p/kWh for Octopus Agile users.

Been totally reliable so far and better than the built in car charge scheduling in my view. Free too.

Other than the one outage back in December I've also been very happy with the system. Out of interest have you tried the preconditioning option ("Keep battery warm") at all? When I've experimented with it the timing always seemed off and either stopped early (so had no benefit by the time I got in the car to leave for work as it had cooled back down) or didn't get to the target SoC by the departure time.

Good to hear that you’ve found it reliable.
... Out of interest have you tried the preconditioning option ("Keep battery warm") at all? When I've experimented with it the timing always seemed off and either stopped early (so had no benefit by the time I got in the car to leave for work as it had cooled back down) or didn't get to the target SoC by the departure time.
I have. I agree, it didn’t seem to do enough because it doesn’t turn climate on. I probably won’t use it because my departure time fluctuates. I’ve been watching Bjørn Nylands latest videos on preconditioning using climate and how the car balances charge target, battery and cabin warming in terms of directing power from the wall.

So, I’ve been doing it manually via iOS Shortcuts on the Tesla Remote app. ‘Hey Siri, warm the car up.’ about 30m before departure fires a script that asks the car to wake up, waits until it has and then turns on climate. This does dramatically reduce regen warnings and limits in the cold. The few dots that are there disappear very quickly. Can’t say I’ve noticed that consumption improves much though.

I shall see if there is a way to detect outside temperature from the car and turn on defrost too if necessary.

I shall see if there is a way to detect outside temperature from the car and turn on defrost too if necessary

Outside temperature is available via the API, but I suspect warming the car will defrost the windscreen well enough (unless it has got several inches of snow on it :) ... but I seem to remember Bjorn cracked a windscreen attempting to create a Sauna with snow on the car ...)