Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV.Energy app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening all,

Is anyone else using the Ev.energy app to help control charging of their car? I’ve had a search and see that some members have had trouble with it not charging.

Anyone else have it and think it’s worth while or deem it a waste of time?

I’m a bit reluctant to had over my sign in for the Tesla app.

I’m due to get my car in 2 weeks so I’m still not sure about starting and stopping the charge for my off peak hours, I have the Tesla wall charger so I’m guessing there isn’t no control via that.

I used to use the ev.energy app a few years ago when I was on the Octopus Agile tariff. It was useful for pulling the Agile rates each day and automatically controlling the cars charge schedule to charge at the greenest/cheapest time in half hour blocks. The Agile tariff became uneconomical around 18 months ago.

I'm now using Intelligent Octopus. Their app works in a very similar manner to the ev.energy app, but you need to use the Octopus app with the Intelligent Octopus tariff. This picks the cheapest times (for the supplier) to provide you with enough charge to reach your target each night.

With the Tesla wall charger, the easiest way to control charging during off peak hours is to set the start time in the car (once) to match the start of your off peak period, then some quick (one time) math to work out how many percent your wall charger can output during the off peak period and what that relates to in terms of percent added to your battery size. Then adjust in the Tesla app the maximum charge level % to be current battery % plus the % that your wall charger can deliver in that period.

In summary, I can't see a use case for ev.energy anymore, you shouldn't have any issues just relying on your own arithmetic and the Tesla app without the worry of authenticating with 3rd parties.

One of the points to use the evenergy app (and similar ones) is that the app also records the charging time/data and reports it to your electricity provider so that you get cheap rates and cash incentives to charge during off peak hours. That's a big deal to encourage people to charge off peak. So, I'm willing to use the 3rd party app. My problem is that the ev.energy app is only concerned with 'be ready by...' time. This fights the Tesla app's Schedule. Both seem a bit stupid to me because as someone brought up elsewhere, why doesn't Tesla just put in a Start and Stop time in the app??? So simple.

One of the points to use the evenergy app (and similar ones) is that the app also records the charging time/data and reports it to your electricity provider so that you get cheap rates and cash incentives to charge during off peak hours. That's a big deal to encourage people to charge off peak.
Not relevant in this UK/Ireland section of the forum.

I have used the EV.Energy app for about 4 years when I first moved to an EV.

I still use it when we charge my wife’s EV but take it out of ‘smart’ mode when I’m charging the Tesla and let IO do it’s thing.