Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV.Energy issues since clocks changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcSafc

Apr 2, 2021
Uk
Hi everyone

Is anybody else having issues with EV.Energy app.
Since the clocks changed, it's been charging 1 hour out.

What I mean is I've got it set for my Octopus Go tariff, but since the clocks changed, it charging form 1:30 to 5:30.

Anybody else having this issue?

You will only notice if you check your consumption in Octopus or direct in the EV.Energy app.

This is using it direct with the Tesla app as I have a pod point charger.

Cheers everyone
Marc

Screenshot_20210402-085303.jpg

Screenshot_20210402-084826.jpg

Waiting to see what happens tonight. First charge since clocks changed and it says charging from 2.30am. That might be because I only need 21% to get to 90% for tomorrow’s journey.
Will report back tomorrow.

Edit - changed my car ready time to 4.30am and it now says charging from 1.30am.

Computers (and lots of IT stuff) often work on UTC time.
In British Summer Time (BST) we are UTC +1, rest of the year we are UTC +0.
PCs obviously compensate for this to help the user, but electric meters may be UTC only.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but it could be a thing.

Edit:
Just checked our (commercial) half hourly meter and it's an hour behind.

Last edited:
Not directly the same issue, but I am currently having a problem with the ev.energy app where it is not showing my charging sessions/energy use, even though it knows when my car is plugged/unplugged and the device is online. Have emailed them a couple of times and they have a record of the charging sessions - they are just not showing on the app. Have emailed a couple of times and they have added the sessions ”manually” but still no resolution sine 23 March.

I am with EOn and it states on their bills that economy 7 is from 00:30 - 07:30 Winter and 01:30 - 08:30 Summer. Just like animals, birds, flowers etc Smart meters are so smart they don't know that the clocks change.
In the car I set charging to start at 01:30 since 6hrs in the winter is normally sufficient for the majority of charges. The car wakes at 01:30 calculates when to start charging to be ready at 07:30 then goes back to sleep until the required time.

Hi everyone

What I mean is I've got it set for my Octopus Go tariff, but since the clocks changed, it charging form 1:30 to 5:30.

You will only notice if you check your consumption in Octopus or direct in the EV.Energy app.

Cheers everyone
Marc

View attachment 650247

View attachment 650248
Computers (and lots of IT stuff) often work on UTC time.
In British Summer Time (BST) we are UTC +1, rest of the year we are UTC +0.
PCs obviously compensate for this to help the user, but electric meters may be UTC only.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but it could be a thing.

Edit:
Just checked our (commercial) half hourly meter and it's an hour behind.
Yep same problem - starting at 0130 tonight.
Hi everyone

Cheers everyone
Marc

View attachment 650247

View attachment 650248
Yep me too 0130 start

Hi everyone

Cheers everyone
Marc

View attachment 650247

View attachment 650248
Yep. Starts at 0130. I've emailed EV

Yep. Starts at 0130. I've emailed EV
So for the last 2 nights my ev.energy app would only start at 1.30am and wanted to run to 5.30am. I set my car ready time to 4.30am so it wouldn’t overrun and charge me 1 hour at the higher rate on Go.
Today I’ve plugged in ans set the app and it now says charging will start at 12.30am. Maybe this was a glitch which they’ve sorted. They are pretty quick at sorting issues.
Will still keep an eye on usage.

Poor dev at Ev.energy. Octopus API : “We strongly recommend that timezone information is included on all datetime parameters. If no timezone information is included, the “Europe/London” timezone will be assumed and results may vary between GMT and British Summer Time.”

Depending on how it’s coded will depend on the behaviour.

Octopus > My account > Explore my energy use. smart meter readings info does display correctly so the OP did charge an hour out from where they should be.

It gets more complicated again if you try to look at wholesale prices which get displayed in CEST timezone.