Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV entitlement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pure EV or not people just need to learn to respect the fact that they are parked there to charge and thats it. When the charge is complete they need to move their car. I mean come on. People don't park at gas stations over night. Its that simple.

Actually it should be just like a metered spot. If your time is up you should get a ticket or towed. That would likely changes some peoples attitudes about how they charge and occupy spots.

Of course this is just the opinion of a future MS owner. Take it with a grain of salt.

Re: youlikeadajuice's post, bingo, there's unfortunately, a lack of consideration amongst a subset of drivers of many, if not all EV/PHEV makes. Unfortunately, I think the problem will only get worse before it gets better (if at all all) since the population of such vehicles is growing and as more non-enthusiasts get such vehicles.

I carry both cards in my Leaf:
EV Card | Plug In America
EV Charging Protocol

If I need to leave my Leaf publicly charging where there are few open stations for an extended period, I leave usually the 1st card out w/paper clip set to the right hour.

My 1st 3 out of 3 times trying to use the single CHAdeMO DC FC at a Nissan dealer resulted in arriving w/someone plugged in but nowhere to be found w/no contact info. Grr!!!! :mad:

I posted about experience 1 at My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations. I've posted about some others at My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations and My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations.

I think My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Charging Station etiquette? Volt owners hogging the juice!! summed up things pretty well. There are some who will not and probably never care about charging etiquette.

I haven't followed a particular situation involving a Volt down in Northridge (So Cal) closely, but I'll take My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Charging Station etiquette? Volt owners hogging the juice!! and My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Charging Station etiquette? Volt owners hogging the juice!! as a correct summary.

Pure EV or not people just need to learn to respect the fact that they are parked there to charge and thats it. When the charge is complete they need to move their car. I mean come on. People don't park at gas stations over night. Its that simple.

Actually it should be just like a metered spot. If your time is up you should get a ticket or towed. That would likely changes some peoples attitudes about how they charge and occupy spots.

Of course this is just the opinion of a future MS owner. Take it with a grain of salt.

You're absolutely right. In my mind,

The first rule about public charging infrastructure is: Move your car when it is done charging.
The second rule about public charging infrastructure is: MOVE YOUR CAR WHEN IT IS DONE CHARGING!

And this applies to everything from Teslas at Superchargers all the way to Plug in Priuses at 110v outlets. And "public" means workplace charging too.

If we all use something like the Plug-in America card EV Card | Plug In America it would go a very long way to reducing the problem. I make a copy and had it laminated for less than $1 at Office Depot and when I charge I will frequently lay it in the dash. To me it is just common courtesy.
But the Tesla Model S can only be unplugged when the key has unlocked the doors. At least that is how my car acts. So, this doesn't work for us.

You're absolutely right. In my mind,

The first rule about public charging infrastructure is: Move your car when it is done charging.
The second rule about public charging infrastructure is: MOVE YOUR CAR WHEN IT IS DONE CHARGING!

And this applies to everything from Teslas at Superchargers all the way to Plug in Priuses at 110v outlets. And "public" means workplace charging too.
At my work, where we have free L2 charging + some 120 volt outlets, unfortunately, moving your car after it completed often wasted a lot of time due to it being hard to find new parking (too full in the late morning and until 3 or 4 pm). It could waste 10-15 mins/person and too many spots are freed.

Fortunately, we have an internal not-so-voluntary list where you're supposed to list the car, license plate and owner's name. We also have a quick reference as to how to tell if a car is done charging. If we see done cars in EV spots, we can just email an internal DL or those owners directly asking to swap parking spaces w/them. That's much better than the above.

Now we also have valet parking (since parking is too full) so we can just give it to the valets and we also have EV valets. They can charge our cars for us on their dedicated stations.

Also, if we have an emergency where we need to charge, we can mail the internal DL about it and someone will usually free up, or we can try giving the car to the EV valets.
But the Tesla Model S can only be unplugged when the key has unlocked the doors. At least that is how my car acts. So, this doesn't work for us.
I've not seen that. I've unplugged numerous Model S cars that were done charging, but that was unplugging a J1772 handle from their J1772 adapter.

Small event at AT&T park yesterday. Plenty of parking available but this red Model S decides that the charging station is his/her personal VIP parking spot.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430084806.187083.jpg

There are some cars that completely lock while charging (smart ED is one that, as far as I know, cannot be changed).

I personally don't consider it a big deal, but that's maybe because Ohio has few EV adopters and even fewer public charging stations. I think the best solution is to simply combine parking fees and charging (i.e., parking meters), but not to create punitive charging fees for having a charging EV (i.e., charging 1000% premium per kwh is stupid). That makes it a bit harder for some places with free private parking, but personally I don't think people should be depending on shopping malls, movie theaters, etc. to get home. Work is a bit different but as others have noted, it's much easier to create an internal system for a workplace such as moving a vehicle on lunch, having more 120v chargers than 240v chargers for those who know the 120v is enough to get home, and so on.

I think people have to look long-term with the logistics of it. Is destination charging at "errand" locations like shopping malls really viable as EVs become more prolific? Could you really wire up an entire parking lot without issues in the future? If not, how are you really going to determine or even enforce someone's needs versus someone else's as EVs reach 5, 10, 50% of the total road vehicles?

There are some cars that completely lock while charging (smart ED is one that, as far as I know, cannot be changed).
BMW i3 has a stupid J1772 handle lock that can't be disabled. A software update I thought was coming soon to alter this behavior, but its status is unclear.

VW e-Golf also has this stupid behavior. I'm unaware of any update coming to alter this.

They both remain attached like a parasite, until the driver comes back to unlock the car.

Behavior's fine in Europe where people bring their cables to L2 stations and they can be detached from the station side. It's not so good for the setups in North America.

^^^^^ yes eloder...

The more I think about this the more it seems we are in a brief period of time of short range cars that may require 15-30 miles of destination or errand charging periodically. Early adopters drive these cars, but the early majority never will. What Tesla knows the other manufacturers are figuring this out (bolt).

It may end up the major reason for plugging in 3-4 years from now, when 200 mile cars are common, is more to provide energy BACK to the grid. These cars will be primarily charged at night (as now) and at Superchargers when traveling. But with 3x capacity, in day to day use very few will need more energy and most will have massive surplus (as I believe is the case now for 90% of model s users).

For the grid, managing peak capacity is worth way more than the energy. I imagine a system where you preset a value at which you sell back to the grid, and when that value is hit your car opens the faucet and feeds back until it gets to your charge drops to whatever level you need to get home.

Last edited: