Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV friendly hotel outside NYC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
We currently have a reservation at the Hilton Garden Inn in Seacaucus/Meadowlands in NJ, just outside the city. We've stayed there befre as it's inexpensive, clean, easy to get to, and has easy access to get in to the city.

However, in calling (twice) to see if they have any charging facilities (even an exterior 120V outlet) has resulted in an immediate, and almost hostile, "No". They don't even seem to want to entertain the question... and trying to describe that all I really need is a standard outlet gets nowhere quick. I have a hard time believing they don't have a plug outside somewhere...

So, any recommendations for decent clean cost-effective places to stay that may be EV friendly outside NYC?

Thanks.

I havent found anything unfortunately. I just came back from an overnight trip in NYC and was able to fully charge my car, while still enjoying Manhattan.

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites (2nd st) in Jersey City, NJ - (you could also do the Westin.). Instead of parking at the hotel, I parked my car at a garage about 0.5 mi away. (Yeah, I had to walk, but the weather was gorgeous). They have 2 GE Chargers - the attendants are really great, and the area is really upscale (Couldn't tell that at night.)

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention one important thing: Westin/Candlewood both have easy access to PATH (to 33 or WTC), which runs 24/7

Quick update: according to plugshare, the Holiday Inn express has allowed folks to use it's 120VAC outlet outside to charge. A call to the hotel confirmed I could do the same.

As I'll be there for 48 hours and take other transportation in to the city... that should be fine to supply enough margin to get me back to the DE Supercharger for the trip home...

I'll let folks know how it goes...

On a trip this month from Boston to Long Island, I stayed at Hilton Garden Inn in Plainview, NY. There are 2 charge point stations in front of the hotel and another 2 charge point stations that the Homewood Suites next door. The accommodations were great and I had access to charge every night.

Just got back from my stay at the Holiday Inn Express (North Bergen, NJ), just a short distance outside the Lincoln Tunnel.

There are three outdoor 120VAC/15A (Level 1) plugs:

-Adjacent to left of entryway, however closest parking spot is handicapped only.

-One on each end of "railing" at the end portico. One indicated faulty with my Model S UMC. The other is in a weatherproof enclosure adjacent to grounds lighting, and working, althugh the voltage is a little low at 105VAC

Staff was very accommodating. Although they could not guarantee a parking spot adjacent to a plug, I managed to get one. Bringing appropriately rated extension cord might allow flexibility.

As the hotel is served by a shuttle in to the city, I plugged in for almost 2 days straight adding about 125 miles of range. That brought me up to about an 80% charge, which was plenty to make it back down to the DE Supercharger for my drive back home.

I let the folks there know that I cancelled reservations at a different hotel (the Hilton Garden about 5 mins away), and booked a room there specifically because of their accommodation. They asked me to please note that in the corporate survey am to receive as well...