TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EV friendly housing

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by DITB, Jul 17, 2014.

1. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

#1 DITB, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    I was considering to move somewhere, where I could park my car next to where I live and install a charger myself. Ideally, some place where I control my own parking lot, and also the roof. I would like to install solar power and charge my car that way.

The only solution seems a house or village house, with a driveway/garage or other means to have the car parked close enough to my home to control installing a charger.

Looking for village houses online is a bit confusing and the information is very limited regarding parking space and so on. Any suggestions on locations or specific solutions are welcome. Definitely less than 10M, hopefully closer to 6 or 7M.

2. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

I always envy my friend living in Fairview park Boulevard who can drive her car into her own garage.

3. sonywong

sonywong Member

You can also consider newer buildings (build after 2011). The car parks of these newer buildings are required to be "EV Charging Enabled" if the developer wishes to obtain concessions on gross floor area of the car parks. So if developers don't install cable trunk/conduits for EVSE, they wouldn't get obsession on the car parks' GFA and they make much less profit. Planning guidelines (so isn't a legal requirement) for these buildings have been ammended to 30% of car parking spaces to be installed with standard chargers (I think they mean 13A ones). But I think property agents don't know these stuff and you have to ask the management of the building.

4. CCT

CCT Member

Yea Fairview Park might fit your criteria, DITB, if you don't mind its distance away from the airport and Kowloon/HK Island. That being said, it's only half an hour or so anyway if driving.

5. DITB

As far as I know they won't let you install solar panels. Much better to get electricity from coal in China, than from the sun hitting the roof. Solar panels are UGLY, right?

Cough, cough.

And Fairview Park IS indeed very close to the mainland, Yuen Long being one of the more air polluted areas of HK, while Tuen Mun is one of the lowest polluted. Sure there is pollution everywhere, but Yuen Long is quite close to China, guess that's why it's so bad.

6. lx3h

Fairview Park does let their owner install solar panels if I haven't remembered wrongly.

As for the air quality,

http://epic.epd.gov.hk/EPICDI/air/station/

tm.PNG yl.PNG

I think they are pretty much the same (on the 1st Jan 2014)

7. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

You won't get a village house you could live in for less than $16m. There is no way you can install solar power either, I've looked into it and it's not practically possible.

8. DITB

Great, if they do allow it, yet that's not what I was told.

I was trying to find the article I saw, this is the best I could find

Hong Kongs new air quality health index shows changes at four out of nine monitoring stations | South China Morning Post

It's not about a single day, but how many days pr year is below the official value. Tuen Mun and one other place was best, while Causeway Bay, Yuen Long and TST were worst (as I remember it). I think Yuen Long only had 60 days a year that did NOT trigger the pollution warning, while Tuen Mun almost had none.

Anyway.

I am investigating further.

Some day I hope I can invite someone for coffee ... and a recharge :)

9. lx3h

Yeah I know it is not about a single day, that's why I give you the link to key in the duration you want to find out the air quality of the places you like. I'm too busy to do the research.

10. capt666

capt666 Member

I live in a Village House in Kam Sheung Road, Perfect for charging my LEAF and Model S:smile:

11. CCT

CCT Member

Nice. Love to try burning some tires with the P85+ on Route Twisk and then have a Sunday tea break at the Red Brick House in Kam Tin :smile:

12. capt666

capt666 Member

Lets do it when we get our cars!

13. DITB

I was just looking at Seasons Palace, there is one unit for sale there, 6.5M I think. Further advice of the area would be nice - I guess if you are in a village house, you are not in Seasons Palace but on Kam Sheung Rd directly.

You can PM me if you like :)